z

Young Writers Society

Common Sayings Activity

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:46 am
LiNdSeYo7 says...

Okay, I'm in a class called "Introduction to Education" and for it, we are preparing lesson plans. My lesson plan is on Creative Writing, and I figured I'd just share the idea.. you can make what you wish of it:

Common Sayings (Such As: "Who cut the cheese?," or, "It's Raining Cats & Dogs".. or.. "Every Tom, Dick, & Harry".) are written on slips of paper and placed into a hat. Everyone then chooses a saying. For my lesson, the class is seperating into groups of three. They are then given 5 minutes to write the beginning of a story that relates to the saying. After 5 minutes, they rotate their papers. The third and final rotation is the story that they must attempt to end.

In order to give them an example, I had two friends help me and I altered things a bit. Instead of doing the whole 'rotating' thing, like in my lesson plan, all of us added to a single story based on a saying. The saying we used was "Who Cut the Cheese?", & this is what we came up with:

Mr. Thomas was a nice guy. He loved his job, and worked hard at what he did. It might not have been the GREATEST job, not necessarily an admirable position, but he was happy to say the he cut the best cheese around. His company, “Stringy Mozzarella”, had grown popular because of its tasty products. His cheese came in a variety of colors - not only your typical yellow or white, but also blue, green, and purple. Little children had great fun devouring the rubbery, rainbow treats. Mice found it too hard to resist Thomas’s yummy cubes, and often ended up giving in to mouse traps in exchange for a small bite. Not only was Mr. Thomas the best cheese-cutter, he was also a generally nice guy. One day, when Mr. Thomas had an extremely large order of

goats. He liked goats I guess, that’s all. Anyway, the goats arrived two hours late, so therefore they were very hungry (and nobody likes an angry, hungry goat). So Mr. T fed the goats his delicious cheese treats. What he was un aware of, was the fact that the goats were allergic to cheese. So about ten minutes later, the goats began to get sick, then something amazing happened. The goat’s stomachs began to expand and grow like a balloon. Mr. T walked into the goat-holding room and saw this event. “Cool,” He said. He grabbed his handy dandy cheese slicing knife and attacked one of the goats. He sliced, diced, and chopped his way through the room. He cut open

one of the goats stomachs and screamed, “WAHOO I got you!” By this time, Mr. T had completely lost his mind, and had started to eat the cheese himself, forgetting the fact that it had made the goats stomachs enlarge. Well, he was also allergic to cheese. So he began to gobble the cheese in large amounts screaming “Yummy!” Then, he started to feel sick and realized he had just ate an enormous amount of cheese that he was allergic to, and thought, “uh oh.” He started to run around looking for something to help him, and then he exploded.

(My paragraph was the first one!)

I don't know.. If anyone wants, think of a saying and start a paragraph. It's MUCH better when you put yourself on a time limit!
<3 Lindsey

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:27 am
Kochan says...

My friends and i did this after reading Romeo and Juliet... my friend has the paper, but we used the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side". It was intersting. I'll have to put it up when i get it back...

We had a 3 minute time limit because there were alot of us.

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:03 pm
Roxy says...

That's a good idea. I'll suggest that to my creative writing club if you don't mind!

~ Roxy ~
I eat losers for breakfast...

Carpe Diem
— Catullus