z

Young Writers Society

Letters

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am
GingerLizzy says...

Okay, so I was just reading the YWS blog and happen to glance over the entry about bringing back snail mail. Would it be a good idea to start something like a pen pal scheme on the YWS site itself?

It doesn't cost much to send a letter and it also means that when people have to leave the site for reasons unknown, then they can still keep in touch with their writer friends which they have met on this site. Would this be a good idea, or would no-one participate? Would it be allowed?

Hmm... If Nath reads this; PM me? Or anyone of importance? Oof, that sounds rude; sorry. What does everyone think about this anyway?
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:46 am
Via says...

Well, it's technically never a good idea to give your full name or address out to anyone on the internet. However, several people on YWS actually do write to each other (snail, not e) but it is by their choice. So, starting an actual 'pen pal' program I'd say is a little dangerous, but if you have someone particular you'd like to write back and forth with I'd say PM them and see if they want to do it with you.

Just.....be really careful. That can get dangerous really quick.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:27 pm
chocoholic says...

Well, I'm not comfortable giving out my home address, but I'd do an email one. I do like writing letters, but there's no way I'd just give somebody I don't actually know personally my address, just for safety reasons, not because I don't trust you guys.

But yeah, if someone wants to do something like that but over email, Pm me!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

461 Reviews

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:49 am
GingerLizzy says...

Okay, so it seems that I haven't really thought this through as well as I would have liked. :) I guess you are right about the whole security issue, but I wonder if there would be able to be a thread where you could just say; yes, I'd like to be a 'pen pal' to someone and then they can PM you for information.

Of course, if you don't feel safe about posting your address or giving it out to people on the net, then perhaps an e-mail option would be available too?

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:15 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

If it's though emial I'm totaly for it. Sounds fun! However I agree with everyone else about the risk of giving out your personal info.
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:48 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Ooh! This could be a character development activity! Our CHARACTERS could write letters to each other. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

461 Reviews

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:54 pm
GingerLizzy says...

Oh my Gosh!

Great idea !

461 Reviews

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:57 pm
GingerLizzy says...

How about... [Think] An E-mailing scheme where two people write as their characters to one another?

Then maybe the two people could make a diary of their letters on here - still as their characters.

Or they could even write to each other in a thread?

I don't know, great idea sunshine.

241 Reviews

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:42 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

we should just do it right here, b/c i don't email people i don't know either. :)

you should start, Lizzy. :D and my MC will write back. k? or i could start, or something.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:58 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Or you guys could do it over PM....it's like email only on the site. That's probably the smartest way to go...
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

461 Reviews

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 pm
View Likes
GingerLizzy says...

Yeah, that sounds good.

It could be a whole thread program too though; make a little story from it or something.

241 Reviews

Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:23 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

yeah...maybe we should start with PMing though. you want to start, or me?

461 Reviews

Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:21 am
GingerLizzy says...

You can start

:)

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson