z

Young Writers Society

Titles

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:18 pm
Azila says...

This is the first time I've done one of these, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

The activity: one person gives a title and the next person makes up a short poem or story (around the neighborhood of 100/200 words, but it doesn't have to be exact) with that title.

Pretty simple... I'd like to see if this catches on or not.

So here we go!! Good luck whoever is next!!
Title: Dance of the Elements

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:25 pm
jonny911 says...

I'll give it a go.

The village, crammed in the town square, looked up to the dark, ominous sky above them. Townsfolk conversed silently, a blanket of fear covering their words. The sound of roaring thunder drew closer, drenching the crowd in a musty, foul smelling liquid. Silence fell. The gods were about to pass judgment.
A pillar of fire rose from the streets. The rain and thunder grew more potent. Hail joined the elements in their deadly dance. Dust was kicked up as people ran, women with their children huddled close, men clamoring together in a free-for-all for survival. They realized that their world was no longer safe. It was in an elemental limbo, and life was to be destroyed forever.
And over the burning of flesh and crackling of fire, over the thunder, over the drenching rain and hail, and above the sound of earth flying, a voice boomed.
"I'm disapointed in you, my people. Enjoy your last dance; the dance of the elements."
And with that, humanity failed. A new people would soon take their place, in the ruins of mankind's final dance.
186 words... oh yeah.

title: The Never Rising Sun :twisted:
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

721 Reviews

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 am
Azila says...

Nice one, Jonny!

Never Rising Sun

I look at the jagged horizon.
Which way is East? I cannot recollect; it had been so long since I have seen a sunrise. All is dark and gnawingly cold, day and night –not that there is any difference without the sun. I did not realize before coming to the Pole how terribly depressing and lonesome the winters are. The cold darkness seems to be eating me from the inside out. It spikes through my veins and crawls through my mind.
I close my eyes. When I open them the horizon will be a passionate orange, tinged with a red that fades into magenta. The mountains will be silhouetted thorns piercing the burning sky. The warmth will grow and grow until it is almost unbearable. I will tear my heavy jackets from me and roll in the snow in a desperate need to cool off. I will plunge into the water and revel in its refreshing bite.
I open my eyes. Dark water surrounds me, burningly cold. My body has already frozen, but in these few moments I have left, one thought flits through my mind: The sun will never rise again.

192 words.

Next: Silver Gaze

721 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:57 pm
Azila says...

Nobody wants to try this? Come on people!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:03 pm
jonny911 says...

Wow. It's been a month since someone last did this? I'll do it later, I think, since Ultra-Short fiction died (come back to us!).
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.
— Christopher Darlington Morley