Young Writers Society

Green Light, Red Light

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 am
View Likes
Teague says...

So I was flipping through my pocket muse and found this neat little exercise that I thought I'd share.

From the following lists, pick one "Green Light" and one "Red Light." The object is to begin a story with the green light prompt and end it with the red light propt, connecting the two events. You can pick your own, but these are the examples the book gives:

Green Light:
-Sudden trip
-Figure 8
-Fig Newtons
-Four babies
-Obscene phone call
-Car trip
-Time capsule
-High fever
-Ex lovers
-An attack
-Closed library
-World's smallest clock
-Box of hair
-Tractor accident
-Osama bin Laden
-A lie

Red Light:
-Clown school
-Oil strike
-17-year locusts hatching
-A construction mishap
-A drunk and a missed train
-An animal bite
-Seven ribbons
-Solar eclipse
-Free tickets
-A haircut
-Translation problem
-A plague on both their houses
-City in crisis
-Church rennovation
-Sunday school
-Thirty three candles

Like I said, you can pick ones not from these lists, they're just some examples.

(taken from p. 140-141 of Monica Wood's The Pocket Muse: Endless Inspiration New Ideas for Writing)
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:50 pm
Rydia says...

So I take it we write short stories? Okay well I'm going to take the time capsule and the solar eclipse. Here's a little story connecting the two...

"What do you reckon will be inside?" Peter asked, shining his torch upon a small, metal safe.

"I don't care, this is just so exciting!" Olivia gushed.

"Well are we going to open it or just stare at it all day?" Matt asked in irritation as he wrapped his arms around his chest to conserve heat. The fourth member of the group, a tall, dark haired girl, clambered down into the freshly dug hole and dragged a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket.

"I hope this is the right combination," Jessica declared as she turned the dial back and forth.

"Well?" Matt demanded impatiently a few seconds later.

"It's open," Jessica mumbled as she began to remove objects and pass them around. "And there's a note. It says we have to replace the items; create a time capsule of our own."

"That sounds fair," Peter decided, turning a signed baseball over in his hands. The four children examined the various items before seperating and a few months later they met in the same spot, on the night of the solar eclipse.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Oh no, I’m sorry, you’re under the impression that here on YWS we *help* writers instead of just feeding their gremlin tendencies.
— winterwolf0100