z

Young Writers Society

Most Meaningful Quotes

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:16 pm
JFW1415 says...

Sorry in advance if I repeat any!

-'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.' Winston Churchill.

-'Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.' -Unknown.

And the one in my siggy.

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 am
JC says...

Most anything by Mark Twain, but my favorite is:

Let us so live that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry.

But I also like:

Those who dream by day are cognizant of the things that escape those who dream only by night. -Edgar Allen Poe

and

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. -Voltaire
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:41 am
casey_kent says...

"Cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education" -Mark Twain

"You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her."

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

"In a world of clones, dare to evolve."

"Things don’t always end up the way you picture them, but sometimes they can end up even better if you give them a chance."

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe."

"The difficulty is not so great to die for a friend, as to find a friend worth dying for."

"It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for what you are not."

"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother."

"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts."

"Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."

"A wise man is one who makes mistakes and then learns from them."

"You must lose everything in order to gain anything."

"It doesn't matter how long you live, but how you live, and what you leave behind."

"Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair, it gets you no where."

"Life is like a coin, you can spend it anyway you want to but you can only spend it once!"
Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

I may not be perfect but Jesus thinks I'm to die for.

"Let's destroy these little darlings..."- W.Beckett

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 am
This_is_history says...

Once upon a time there was a family that had six kids. They had a great dad, and a beautiful mom. One day the mom went on a trip, had a great time and came home. All her children met her at the door, and her husband grabbed her and they ate face. Then everybody lived happily ever after.
Great story, right?
Wrong.
It's not great because it didn't happen. It was supposed to happen, it was gonna be perfect. But it didn't. Mom didn't come home, we didn't meet her at the door, and Dad didn't eat her face.
-me and my best friend, from a story we were round robining. idk, we just found that amazingly funny.

and:

Grawr.

-me and my friend again. don't ask.
"I move the stars for no one."
-Jareth

"You say this Labyrinth's a peice of cake? Well let's see how you deal with this little slice."
-Jareth

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon May 19, 2008 3:07 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I stayed up until a little after 2 AM last night, working on my Caelestis: Keeper's Throne story/novel, and I LOVE some of the dialogue I came up with.

I guess this part I'll quote is the best I can give without having to explain too much.

“You act as though I haven’t sacrificed anything for the sake of what remains of the Clans,” Tia accused. “You have no idea what kind of hell I have been through since you left.”

“And you act as though everyone should forget what they’ve been through and instead focus their sorrows on you. It doesn’t work like that, Tia. There are more important things than forbidden love with a bounty hunter to worry about,” Rais replied, his tone rising in anger. He stood from his spot and turned away.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri May 23, 2008 8:32 pm
Twit says...

Oooh, forbidden love.

'What did your parents call you?' Midge asked.

'Nose ointment,' I replied.

The Raven, no less.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri May 23, 2008 10:25 pm
Aedomir says...

This is something I came up with, which comes with a novel-size idea.

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Oh and how could I forget...

BLANK PAGE

Oh the irony! After an exam :D
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am
deleted2 says...

"The author must keep his mouth shut when his work starts to speak." - Friederich Nietzsche

"If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster." - Isaac Asimov

"Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted." - Jules Renard

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - by someone...

"Nothing is easier than self deceit, for what each man wishes he also believes to be true" - Demosthenes

I love these quotes because.... uhm... I love them?

XxxDo

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:38 pm
Gahks says...

"When you look long into the abyss, the abyss looks long into you." Freud (I think)
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:59 pm
Twit says...

"When you look long into the abyss, the abyss looks long into you."

Oooh, I'm getting Time Vortex/heart of the Tardis vibes. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:07 pm
Fand says...

Actually, the quote is "If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you," and it's from Nietzsche. ;)

Some of my favorites:

"A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep." (Salman Rushdie)

"I decline to accept the end of man." (William Faulkner)

"In the faces of men and women I see God." (Walt Whitman)

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." (Pearl S. Buck)

"Withhold thine indignation, mighty heaven, and tempt us not to bear above our power." (William Shakespeare)
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:33 pm
cassie17 says...

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." Jack London

"If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance!" Andrea Boydston

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." Anais Nin

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." Anonymous

And finally:

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:28 pm
Twit says...

‘Bur-gu-lars!’ I hissed. ‘They’re in the kitchen, stealing the marmalade and skimming the milk pans!’

I really liked this bit of the Raven's dialogue, and it had to go because the scene got scrapped. :(

#TNT

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:50 pm
pegasi_quill says...

I tend to like quotes too.

My all-time favourite is:

~Don't go where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trial~

I also really like:

~Two men look out of the same prison bars. One sees mud, and the other stars~
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm
Twit says...

ROMIL: Kindly inform my daughter that her hybrid has wet my bed.

:roll:

#TNT

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"