z

Young Writers Society

Most Meaningful Quotes

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:19 pm
Via says...

Personally, I am a quote fanatic. If the part of my brain that is filled up with quotes were put to something useful, I would be a genius. But, since it isn't and I'm not, I have a new activity for us to procrastinate with...

List one or more of your favorite quotes or your characters favorite quotes. Tell why this quote is important to you or your character; what it means for you or them. And please make sure you respectfully attribute the quote to its appropriate author.
Last edited by Via on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:33 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

"Do as I say, and not as I do." by Siri. Siri has a way of looking shy and quiet even when she has the most rebellious thoughts, and has a rather bright history of acting snappishly and without warning. Since she's a specially trained soldier, this usually involves something life-risking. To her, it is saving someone from something only she could do and survive.
ohmeohmy

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:08 pm
Twit says...

Is this quotes by actual people in real life, or our characters' quotes? Or both?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 pm
sabradan says...

"You can't fulfill your dreams unless you dare to risk it all"
SSGT Mike "Mikey" Levin KIA Aita al-Shaab, Lebanon August 1, 2006

I can't really explain it, just knowing his story fits really well with this quote. Mikey is my hero.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:56 am
Shafter says...

"Live not only as you ought, not even as others claim you should. Live so that in the future, souls will recall your name not simply as one of greatness, but rather, one who earned such a privilege as to be called great." ~Sephroth

Even though this is a quote from a character in a fanfiction my friend wrote, it's one of those quotes that inspire my protagonist, Émon, to keep going. Not to mention is has some good advice.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:08 am
chocolatechipmuffin says...

This one might be my sig, I'm not sure...

Lady Something-or-Other: "Winston, if I were your wife, I should put poison in your coffee."
Churchill: "Madam, were I your husband, I would surely drink it."

*slaps knee*
*falls out of chair*

He's so fuuuuuuuuuuunny.
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 am
Snoink says...

"You look like a banana." -- Elsa

OMG. I don't know why... but I just love this quote. Maybe because I'm hungry.

“The freak. Your maidservant, as you call her. Point it at the freak’s chest, straight at her heart, and shoot. Do not point it at the freak’s head as that method is too messy. It may kill instantly, but I don’t want the rugs to be stained with too much blood. The servants will complain; besides the rugs were expensive.” -- Sadie's father

Hahaha... his dialogue about the rugs was like... wow. Special.

“Don’t leave me! I love you! I love you!” - Sadie

Poor Sadie! She has been through this terrible experience and she has realized that she loves him... and yes. A plot spoiler I will not reveal.

Hahaha... omg. There are a lot more.

“You mean did. It’s past tense, remember?” - the freak

This is when she totally pwns Claude and makes him feel really uncomfortable. Which is always good because we don't like Claude. Really.

More might come soon?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:55 am
Dynamo says...

"There is a thin line between genius and insanity. I see it everyday as I run screaming by with scissors." - Red Mage from 8-Bit Theater @ www.nuklearpower.com

I love this quote because it says so much about me. Which is good... right?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:55 am
JC says...

"Stupidity isn't punishable by death, if it were there'd be one hell of a population drop." -Anita Blake

I dunno why I like this one, probably because it's true, and still manages to be sarcastic. It's always had some effect one me. =D

As for my character's favorite quote, I guess Jamie is inspired by...

"Not only can two sentences change a life, but simple words can embed themselves in one's mind and stay there forever."
-JC (Yup, that's me!)

Oh, and Muffin person, I love your quote, it made me smile!

=D

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:01 am
Dynamo says...

Anita Blake?! I love those books! Bravo!
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:27 am
JC says...

DUDE! Another person who reads them!!!

I love you!!!! teehee!
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:43 am
Twit says...

"I bounce." ~The Raven

This is in answer to a question someone put to her about whether she found it difficult coping with being a slave/hybrid/dog, along with having such a gory past.

"Two words: mael (prince), and maol (slave). You only need to change one letter and the meaning becomes completely different." ~Elven Saying.

Said to a number of people, when teaching about how, underneath our titles, we're all equal.
Last edited by Twit on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:57 am
Writersdomain says...

"She's always be a fairy tale - the saddest fairy tale, the only fairy tale I ever heard, Perhaps we all will be." ~Strick

One of my favorite! The theme of fairy tales appears throughout the story with the idea that the life Creiha wants to live and the life the other characters want to live is more than a fairy tale.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:43 am
Twit says...

"Ystynna yn cres, tan-pỳu-cam-nagh-bós-kiunit." ~The Raven

This is when she's burying Druth. It means, translated: Rest in peace, flame-who-could-not-be-quenched. You got it, he died fighting.

"There is a girl...a half-breed, who is more than half, who shall come from places we have lost all thought for, and her sign is the oak, for oak she is, and like an oak, she stands strong; but as she passes through fire and through wind and through storm and through tempest, the years will take their toll, and the trials shall leave their mark, and as the oak becomes twisted and bent by the winds rocking across the world, so she will become twisted and bent, and the fires and the lightning of her life will shape her, and she will break; but she will be strong and refuse to submit, for oak she is, and oak is stubborn and hard; for fire she is, and fire does not give when it meets another of its kin, but only blazes the brighter. She stands with the light of the sun in her eyes, and the mark of cruelty upon her face, and she shares her soul with another, and another, and another, and she cannot break free from the bonds that they weave about her, but all that she has is bound to them, and she cannot escape, and she cannot accept, for she is irretrievabley bound to them, and her life stitches in and out of their lives, in an unbreakable thread of gold, and although hate and passion shall tarrnish the thread, it cannot be broken, and the tempering only leaves it the brighter, and the more precious. She is part of one world, and part of another, she has one foot in one universe, and one foot in another, and she is a mediator between them, such as we have not had for thousands of years, since Myrddin trod the hills of Aval-lón, and the hills of Gwynedd togther.
She is Tana'kiunit, she is the flame that can not be quenched." ~Fal.

This is a prophecy made by Fal. in the Seeing-Sark.

Quotes from stuff that gave me inspiration:

"The whole world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies, and if they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you..." ~Frith, Watership Down

I love both the book and the old film. The new one looks stupid.

Hostess to Ollie: Serve the salad, without dressing.
Ollie to Stan: Serve the salad, undressed. ~From Soup To Nuts

ROFL!

Computer (in voice like Hal from 2001): Comencing touch-dow-own-own...
Duckula: Hey, you okay?
Computer: Never be-be-better-better, Oh, ah, I think I'm having a slight pro-pro-pro-problem! Overload, wise, overload, overload...
Duckula: Hey! -
Computer: Entering self-destruct mode, as of now: self-destruct, self-destruct, SELF-DESTRUCT! ~Astro-Duck

That cartoon is SO funny. :lol:

Indiana: Jack, start the engine! ~Raiders of the Lost Ark

That is sooooo cool!

#TNT

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:00 pm
tinny says...

I think my favorite quotes from my characters comes a discussion between Faye and Klar.

"Look at the stars Klar! They're all melting! MELTING!"

"No they're not, you're just high."

"Oh yeah. It's fun you should try it."

"I'd rather have worms suck out my spinal fluid."

I'm also quite fond of a part where Faye, still high, starts trying to link arms with Klar.

"Ah! Ah! No linking! Linking causes my core body temperature to increase by approximately three degrees! Causing me to go all crazy on you and then spontaneously combust! Do you want that? DO YOU?"
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

One believes things because one has been conditioned to believe them.
— Aldous Huxley, Brave New World