z

Young Writers Society

FOIL!

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:41 pm
Writersdomain says...

FOIL! Foil characters are the best.

What is a foil character? According to Wikipedia, a foil character is "either one who is opposite to the main character or nearly the same as the main character. The purpose of the foil character is to emphasize the traits of the main character by contrast, and perhaps by setting up situations in which the protagonist can show his or her character traits. A foil is a secondary character who contrasts with a major character but, in so doing, highlights various facets of the main character's personality." Basically, a foil character is a contrast to another character.

Examples are Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, Ismene and Antigone, Frodo and Sam, Luke and Han Solo etc.

So, how do your characters foil? And what traits do these foils bring out?
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:41 pm
Alice says...

I have one foil character, Claire. She's the main character's brother and will make him remember how much he loves the other main character, she brings out the humanity in the thousand year old vampire.
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:56 pm
Bella says...

Jeremy is my foil character. He is pretty much Morgan's sidekick, who reminds Melania that Morgan isn't as annoying as most boys by being unbelievably annoying. =)
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm
Snoink says...

Shea is the foil to Pearl. When Shea is gone, Tristram is. Or something. *remains confused*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:21 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Danteel and Pran are foils, as are Danteel and Lark. The funny thing is, Pran and Lark are NOTHING alike...
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:29 pm
Writersdomain says...

I have too many foils for my own good.

Strick and Criscialda are foils
Creiha and Criscialda are foils
Strick and Creiha are foils
Creiha and Lusien are foils
Strick and Lusien are foils
Creiha and Coglia are foils
Strick and Coglia are foils
Criscialda and Coglia are foils
Markus and Gietan are foils
Liehne and Criscialda are foils

etc.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 am
Twit says...

The Raven is foil to someone else - someone very important. A princess, in fact. At first, the Raven was going to be a MAIN main character, the one who does the action and fighting and all, but then I thought, Well, I've always liked the sidekicks best, so why not write a sidekick who's a main character in their own right as well? The sidekicks always seem to be the amusing ones, like Donkey as opposed to Shrek, Mushu to Mulan, Han to Luke. Is Will supposed to be a sidekick to Jack, or is it the other way around?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:54 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

The twins in Bubble Picture are foils. Tip's so lazy and likes sleeping- his twin would rather jump around and find out why! They're complete and total mysteries to each other. It's rather funny. XD
ohmeohmy

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:18 pm
Fan says...

Kasper and Seth are foils. Seth is curious and lacks common sense whereas Kasper doesn't delve into anyhting more than he needs to and annoys Seth a lot with his calm demenour and his utter perfectness. (is that a word?)

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 pm
Pushca says...

Gwen and her best friend, Stuart, are foils. I never thought of it. Gwen is in-your-face all over the place, but Stuart (he needs another name change - I can't take him seriously) is laid-back and steady.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 am
darchoco says...

Coden and Tuvil are foils. Coden is very dedicated and serious, and keeps to himself. Tuvil is a jokester, a flirt, and likes to be around anyone and keeps everyones sanity.
if you were to die today, would you be able to tell yourself that you did everything you wanted and everything you could?
life is a puzzle. want to put it together with me?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:04 am
darchoco says...

Coden and Tuvil are foils. Coden is very dedicated and serious, and keeps to himself. Tuvil is a jokester, a flirt, and likes to be around anyone and keeps everyones sanity.
if you were to die today, would you be able to tell yourself that you did everything you wanted and everything you could?
life is a puzzle. want to put it together with me?

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 am
Nutty says...

Tamia and Elyn. Tamia is a suspicious, distrusting character, Always questioning other's intentions and isn't a social creature at all.

Elyn, on the other hand, is small, loud, confident, cheeky and a attention seeker. A bit cocky, too.

-from tamia's quest, by the way
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy