z

Young Writers Society

Is it wrong to love one of your characters?

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 pm
Alice says...

Not much to say about this one, its mainly a character development thing. If you feel confident in the fact that you love one of your characters means you've developed it properly. So add a few BREIF moments in your story where your character's character shows the best.
I just lost the game.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:33 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

No. It's not. :hugs plushie of random character #304856: Hee. I'm pretty easily attached to my characters...but seriously, #304856 can be so funny sometimes! XD
Being...er...anime-influenced...I like to have dramatic moments where...characters true natures show themselves for a split second and startle everyone. XD But messing with character's character can be fun....it's excellent to play "God" in the Sim sense, isn't it? :lol:
ohmeohmy

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:58 pm
HeadInTheClouds says...

Well, that's half good news and half bad news for me. I love one of my characters but i'm having trouble liking my other ones. Does that mean only one of my characters is developed properly? Eek! Or does it just mean I tend to play favourites? Eek, that's bad too!
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

270 Reviews

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:28 am
Alice says...

OH YEAH! that same rule goes for hating too
I just lost the game.

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:34 am
Trident says...

Don't love them or hate them too much. Then you might not be able to do what is necessary to them to get the story to work.

Personally, I would say my characters can usually be both loved and hated. Likeable, yet deeply flawed.
Perception is everything.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:59 am
last mohican says...

That's your job, to feel for your characters! There's nothing wrong with that. Actually, I think maybe there'd be something wrong if the author didn't feel something :)
"...I have conclusively determined that you are not Hamlet, Scout Finch, Frankenstine's monster, Ms. Marple, or a golum. Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golum?"~Dustin Hoffman

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:04 pm
Twit says...

I'm attatched to my characters. Not on the "love" scale, but they certainly stay in my head for 99% of the day. :)

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:32 pm
View Likes
Manny says...

The best stories have main characters you connect with and villians who you love to hate. Like Harry Potter, some people like Harry while others obsess over Draco Malfoy. As long as they are fleshed out thoroughly, I don't think it matters if you love or hate your people.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:21 pm
Writersdomain says...

I love all my characters because of their flaws - even the antagonists who are easy to hate, but it has not hindered me from doing what must be done. Not in the least, because I know what I do for my characters is for their own good.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

270 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 pm
Alice says...

because of their flaws you've made them human/what ever species they are, and have developed them throughly! yay us!
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:58 pm
Bella says...

It's not wrong to love your characters because they are a part of you, and people usually love themselves. And besides that, you pick their traits and if your making a dream guy for you main character you could put a lot of traits of who you would want to go out with, causing you to fall in love iwth your dream character. ta-da!
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

270 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:21 pm
View Likes
Alice says...

and now for question two........................... (drum roll).............................................................................................................................................

with Bella's addition do you think that its right to compare your characters to the people that you love that are "real"
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:25 pm
Bella says...

To some extent yes...if you start looking around for your character it becomes creepy. And Alice, you and I do that all the time with characters we've read about. Hence our internet names.

270 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:28 pm
Alice says...

my name is because of my story, not for the same reason as yours, my sis wanted her name to be what it is, i asked.
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:34 pm
Bella says...

either way, you compared me to Bella from taht book just yesterday.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore