z

Young Writers Society

In The Picture

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:51 am
xtenx says...

Shemsie began humming a tune as he and Kaimus walked in silence.

After a short while, Kaimus looked down at his little friend and smiled weakly. "What are you humming?" he asked slowly.

"Are you serious?" Shemsie gasped, stopping in his tracks. Kaimus looked at him blankly. "You've really never heard the March of the Alben?"

Kaimus shrugged his shoulders. "I was never taught to appreciate music. Most of my childhood was spent preparing to be a knight, not a musician."

"Well, it's been in my head all day. Let me teach you the words, and you'll be humming along with me. My father always told me it was better to sing in good company anyway!" he exclaimed, smiling broadly.
---

Scenario: Your character knows nothing about sports, but was talked into attending a baseball game against his/her instincts. The character wants to impress his/her friend though, so s/he must stay attentative and attempt to participate in the conversation about the game.
-Kristen

So I just try, fail and try, and try again- and someday I swear I'm gonna get it. 'Cause I'm convinced, giving in is the worst thing there is.--Straylight Run

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 am
Shafter says...

(Thanks a million, Xtenx! I've been wanting to post this scene for ages!!!)

"So," Émon said, "could you please explain this to me one more time?"

Myron pointed to the baseball diamond. "They run around the bases, and when they return to the starting point, it's a good thing."

"But only if they're wearing red."

"Right."

Émon sat back on the bleacher and sighed. He didn't see the point. It was hot out here; sweat was already dripping down his face. He wiped his forehead with his sleeve and shifted. "So when's whatshisname showing up?"

"Any minute," Myron said, scanning the audience. "There he is. Hey Jaymir!" he called, waving.

Jaymir jogged down the steps and slid onto the bleacher beside Myron. Émon tried to look friendly, but only one thought entered his head: Jaymir's rich. It wasn't really anything about the way he was dressed. It was the way he carried himself, the way he smiled.

"Jaymir, Émon. Émon, Jaymir," Myron said as he stood up. "I'm going to get a sno-cone; I'll be back in a minute." He ran up the stairs, leaving Émon and Jaymir side by side.

"Nice day," Jaymir said, smiling pleasantly.

Émon returned the smile. "Yeah."

"A little hot."

"Yeah."

Émon stared at the bleacher in front of him, wishing the ground would swallow him up. He mentally hit himself over the head. Think, Émon, think! There's got to be something to say! "Do you like baseball?"

"Oh yes. I was glad when Myron offered me a ticket."

Émon's smile was frozen on his face. Words. Handy thing, words. He could use a few right now. "So, Myron tells me the point of the game is to get back to the original starting plate."

"Yes, that just about covers it."

Émon couldn't take it any longer. "I think I'll get a hot dog or something." With two leaps, he was halfway up the walkway.

He missed seeing the first pitch. He wasn't sorry.

-------

Your character gets a message that his/her father has just died.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:04 am
Fan says...

As Seth was walking along the path a man suddenly came up to him. He wore the attire of a messenger and Seth wondered what was happening.

"Are you Seth Ranlais?" asked the man.

"Yes, why?" replied Seth.

"I regretully inform you you're father has died."

Seth began humming and carried on walking.

"The poor boy's trying to deny it," muttered the messenger.

"No, it's not that," said silver eyed woman as she approached the messenger.

"What is it then?"

"His father died sixteen years ago."

The messenger began to feel embaressed at his foolish mistake. Then something came to him.

"Are you Elayna Fenthera?" he asked.

"Yes, why?"

"I regretfully inform you you're father has died."

Elayna's face lit up and she began humming a merry tune as she proceeded along her way.

"Don't tell me I made another mistake," groaned the messenger.

"No, you made her day actually," said a red eyed boy that appeared out of no where.

Your character is on a date their worst nightmare.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:24 am
extrication says...

This wasn't happening. No, this was seriously not happening.

Errol resisted the urge to bang his head. Not only did this blind date suck, but Will had set him up with someone who looked and acted almost exactly like Rurik. Quite possibly as a joke.

'Haha,' he bitterly thought. 'This is very funny. Hahaha. I'm laughing right now.'

Unfortunately, his date [whose name he couldn't remember] liked to blather on about football. Just like Rurik.

"I'm going to kill him," Errol muttered to himself.

Also unfortunate was the fact that the boy in front of him had very keen hearing. "Sorry?" the boy asked, sounding over-dramatically outraged. Just like Rurik. "I didn't quite get that."

"Oh nothing! Just, y'know," here Errol forced a smile that was reassuringly sane [hopefully], "IhavesomethingtodoIgottagosorry."

Errol made sure to slam a large amount of money before running out. Never shall it be said that a Cross wasn't courteous.

scenario: Your character finds out something important [personality-wise] about him or her -self.
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:44 am
Bella says...

"You didn't already know that?" Jeremy exclaimed rudely. Melania smacked him upside the head for being stupid.
"I obviously didn't know that or I wouldn't be so shocked right now!" she snapped back, looking at the journal entry that her mother must have written long ago. She read it quickly, and tears filled her eyes as she read. She pushed them back and through the journal to the floor, running out of the room to find her mentor. He would have answers, she was sure of it.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:45 am
Bella says...

Oops..I forgot to add a scenario. Um... scenario: your character is helping their friend who is VERY hungover.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:46 am
extrication says...

umm. Scenario?
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:21 pm
Twit says...

I peered underneath the table at Snake who was slumped in a sodden heap of inebriation. The bartender looked pointedly at the door, and I sighed, crawled underneath the table and poked Snake in the chest.

"Hey, Snakey-boy. You still there, or has your spirit departed for another, less drunk body to inhabit?"

Snake remained insensible. I set one of my fingers alight and wafted the flame under his nose. Nightpad sneezed as Snake turned over and let out a breath that reeked of the inn's cheap and very bad beer. Serpens slithered out of Snake's pocket, and reared up defensively. He's out cold. You'll have to carry him.

I refuse to lug him through the streets. I slapped Snake's face hard, twice, and finally he stirred.

"Get up you mlanann drunken idiot before we both get kicked out."

"Mmpff. Wassup...Raven?"

"Yes, it's me."

Snake sat up cautiously, as though he was worried his brain would fall out of his ears, his head narrowly missing the table top. He groaned, crawled out, and lurched to his feet, clutching at the table. Serpens climbed up his leg and wound his body around his Sense-partner's arm. I propelled Snake out the door, and the bartender slammed it firmly behind us. Snake staggered to the gutter and puked up the result of the last few hours' revellry.

"It's your own fault," I said unsympathetically to his heaving back.

He wiped his mouth with his sleeve, and grunted, "That's right. Blame me."

"Well, who else is there to blame?"

"All the others who insisted on buying rounds..."

"Yeah, but they aren't the ones blowing their chunks in the streets, are they?"

He groaned, and groped at the wall, feeling for a handhold. "Why did it have to be you here? Why not Isala or Mottle?"

"Because I'm the only one generous and kind-hearted enough to stay with a drunken associate and bring them home."

"Generous and kind-hearted. Why not add - " He bent over and retched, before finishing weakly: " - why not add sympathetic to that list of virtues as well?"

"It wouldn't be true. One must tell the truth, musn't one?"

"Oh, and I suppose the first two are true and accurate?"

"But of course!"

"I think I need another drink to help me stomach that."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Now that was a lot of fun to write! :wink: :D )

Next scenario: Your character is hanging about, when a guy/girl with an obvious crush on them arrives and starts chatting them up.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun May 20, 2007 7:09 am
Nutty says...

Tamia lent against the tree, waiting for Elyn to get back.
"Stupid monkey..."

"Hello. haven't seen you around here before."

Tamia hurriedly pulled up her hood, hiding her pointed ears. She turns towards the voice.

A boy, around fifteen, with blonde hair, blue eyes and an confident expression was standing beside her. "You alright there? Mick's the name. Can I show you around?"

Tamia looked at this boy, wondering why he would talk to a random stranger like herself.
"No... I'm waiting for someone." Tamia gave him a puzzled, searching look.

Mick visibly sagged. "Ah. Your boyfriend then?"

"What?? No! What gave you that idea?" Tamia was taken aback. What did this boy want from her?

Mick brightened.
"Are you staying here long? There's a village dance tonight. I could take you, if you want..."

Tamia blinked. Uncertainty filled her. Just who was this person? Why did he want to take her dancing? At least he hadnt seen her elfish blood yet...
"Uh...Oh! Elyn!"

Mick turned, spotted Elyn, and his eyes widened. "Uh... sorry miss. Didn't know you were a mother..." Mick scurried away before Tamia could correct him.

"Who was that...? You didnt tell me you had a boyfriend! He was looking you up!" Elyn handed Tamia a peach.

------
Tamia is no good with social things. Anyway....

-You are watching a loved one die, and someone is blaming it all on you.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun May 20, 2007 6:35 pm
Archae says...

(This is an actual extract from The Link III, one that I wrote early... 'cos it was important. Ha. :P)

Leo's hands shook, then curled into tense fists. Paul's Corner's gauntless smile got wider.

"Don't tell me it was my fault. You let him come here, and therefor you killed him!" Paul pointed at Leo. His face was contort with joy.

"Shutup!" Leo yelled back at him, dropping to his knees in front of Aiden. The recruit's eyes were barely open, but he was definatly alive. He seemed to be struggling to say something.

"Who are you going to shoot next Leo? Archae, maybe?" Paul's taunt went ignored. Leo lightly slapped Aiden around the face, in an attempt to keep him concious.

"Hey, stay with me man!" he muttered, forcing himself to laugh. Aiden smiled weakly.

"Sorry... you were right," he coughed, "i shouldn't hav-"

"Shutup, ok? Your going to make it through this!" Leo cut him off, fighting to keep his own emotions in check. But he was failing.

"It's a pity you have to watch him die, Leo. I always thought it would be the other way around," Paul sneered, so with such sarcasm that Leo lost all sense of humanity. He forgot who he was, for a second. All he knew was that, next second, he was charging at Paul Corner, his handgun left on the ground.

He didn't need a weapon. He was going to tear Paul apart, limb from limb.

------------

Lovely... :roll:

Your chracter is in the middle of a shop, when it gets robbed.
Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy... they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. -- To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

280 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 21, 2007 3:21 am
Nutty says...

Elyn looked at the knife carefully.

Was it worth it? It was well-made, but this dealer had a high value on it...

Someone bumped into him. Elyn span round.

"Hey, watchit mister!"

The man looked down at him. "A bit young to be playing with knives, don't you think?"

"Whatever, mister. I'm older then you think." Elyn turned back around again, and place the knife on the counter. He reached for his money pouch. He froze. He got robbed. Him. He span around and ran after the quickly departing man.

"Oi! Come back here you rotten-toothed weasel! I'll have your guts out and knit myself a sweater! Come back here!"

He launched himself at the man, landing on his back and holding on.
The man bit his hand, which was clinging to his face.
"Ow!" Elyn's tail whipped out and wrapped it around the thief's neck. Screams filled the street, as this young boy had just changed into tailed monster.

"Give...me...my...money!"

The thief scrabbled at his neck, his face going purple. he let go of the pouch, the contents spilling on the cobbles.
"Thank you!... Whoops. Time to go...."
Elyn scooped up his coins and darted off.

"Seeya, folks!"

------

Don't mess with the monkey man heheh

your character is eating a meal at a expensive restaurant/inn (depending on your world's setting) and (s)he finds a bug in his/her meal

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue May 22, 2007 4:27 pm
Archae says...

(I want this one... :twisted:)

Archae rolled his eyes.

"We've been here for... what, an hour? No food yet..." he yawned impatiently, glancing back at his watch. Leo shrugged.

"I told you, it's a slow place. Food's well worth it though, trust me."

"Why did you convince me to come here? It's not like we're doing any good." Archae mumbled, now resting his head in his hands.

"Just because-" Leo never got a chance to finish. Two plates of food were, at that moment, pushed underneath them. Archae grinned.

"Finally! Im was begining to-" he suddenly stopped talking. Leo, who had already dug into his food, looked up.

"What?" He asked. Archae wasn't moving. He looked incredibly frustrated, and somewhat disgusted.

"There's a worm in this. Are you kidding me? We've fought creatures more dangerous than humans, and here I am with a friggin' worm in my stew?" Archae rolled his eyes, then got up, "gross."

"Hey where are you going?" Leo shouted as Archae began to leave.

"Out," was the only response he got. Shortly after, Leo got up from his seat to. The two of them left without paying.

Mwahaha. Eh hem... anyway...

Your character gets prank called.
Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy... they don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. -- To Kill a Mocking Bird - Harper Lee

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Tannar, never taking his eyes over the miniature thunderstorm-in-a-bottle he was making, picked up the receiver. "Hello," he said distantly.

The voice at the other end started to say something about would he like a brand new barely-used cellphone and Tannar, still without ever moving his eyes, sent a lovely little bolt of lightning through the reciever and had it follow the line of energy to the other end of the "conversation."

There was a muffled scream.

Tannar smiled absently, put the receiver down, and continued his mini-storm.

(wow, don't know why I picked Tannar there, there aren't anything like telephones in his world. also, appologies if the crank call wasn't beleiveable--I've never gotten one!)

Scenario:your character can't get in touch with their best-friend/significant other and is worried they're in danger
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

280 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:02 am
Nutty says...

Tamia bit her lip. Where was he? Elyn said he would meet her here, near the gate of the township, at sundown. That was an hour ago.

Should she go in? What if whoever had taken Elyn got her, too?

She shook her head. She had to find him, he was the one where to go.

She slipped in the town gates, pulling up her hood to hide her elven features.

Quickly, she slipped through the crowds, wondering where Elyn could be.

She checked the alley ways, and stopped a woman on the street. "Excuse me, I've lost my... erm... child. He's about this tall, with a tail and wears a loose tunic and leathers." The lady shook her head, and pushed past her, disappearing into the crowd.

Tamia sighed, her mind in turmoil. The monkey-boy may not be the best company, but he was all she had.

Suddenly, she heard someone singing rather badly down the street. She turned, and rolled her eyes. "Elyn! get over here! Oh, god, you're drunk..."

"Wha? Oh, Tammie! There ya ar'! Ye shoul' come dance wif me!" Elyn swayed slightly, a happy grin on his face.

"Elyn! you're supposed to be a kid! And your tail is showing!" Tamia picked him up, trying to make it look like she was carrying a sleeping child.

"Wha? Put me dow', wommen!" He pushed himself away, and run down the street. "Catch me if ya can!"

------

A short, drunken teen with a tail running through the streets. Interesting.

on that note;

You are drunk, trying to find somewhere to sleep. You encounter someone who tries to steal something off you

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:00 pm
logosgal says...

If it's okay, I'm gonna write this about Daniel from the thief's perspective. Just 'cause. :wink:

Six months in jail and it was all that stupid super hero's fault. Why did he have to come after me? I'm just a regular guy. Just trying to make a living somehow. It wasn't like I even hurt anyone. I just picked a few pockets, that's all. Now, because of him, I was sitting in an alley, just out of jail, broke. I could still see those vengeful grey eyes looming in the darkness.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a group of drunken teenagers headed my way. I stared. Most of them couldn't have been over fifteen or sixteen years old. They were all thoroughly sloshed. Perhaps this was my chance. I noticed one boy, who separated himself a little from the group, slipping his wallet into his right pocket. He slurred something about going to bed and staggered in the opposite direction of the rest of the teens. Right up my alley. Perfect.

Quickly, silently, I positioned myself in the shadows and prepared to slip my hand into his pocket. The kid would probably wake up with a hangover the next day and think that he had dropped it somewhere. Meanwhile I would help myself to whatever was in there.

The moment came. The old familiar thrill came as I reached into his pocket.

Suddenly, I felt a hand gripping my arm tightly. My heart stopped.

I looked up.

"Why's you shtickin' you's hand i' m' pocket, huh?" the boy's eyes wandered lazily up and down my arm.

"Uh..." the kid had a tighter grip than I would have thought possible for a drunken kid his age. Tighter than I thought possible for almost anyone. Somehow, he seemed familiar.

"You'sh tryin' t' shteal from me, 'z tha' i'?" he pulled my hand out of his pocket, still holding his wallet. I dropped it. His eyes burned with drunken rage.

"Nobo'y shteals fr' me, y'got 'at? No one!"

I'm exactly not sure what happened next. I felt his grip leave my arm. Then I felt a sharp pain in the side of my head. The next thing I knew, I was waking up in a hospital bed with bandages over my head, a cast on my arm, and the image of two grey eyes seared into my mind.

Hmm, rather unlikely, as Daniel is such a good boy. He'll probably have his first drink on his 21st birthday, and won't actually get drunk then. Still, very interesting...

Next:
Your character suddenly finds him/herself with a telepathic connection with her/his best friend, and they can't figure out how to turn it off.
Home is where the books are.

My existence is political. And love is my statement.
— Kevin Abstract