z

Young Writers Society

In The Picture

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:57 am
bubblewrapped says...

OK, I just had this idea for a writing exercise which I think could be pretty cool. We all know that the secret to writing a character well is to know them well. In order to do that, you need to understand what makes them tick.

Most writing books suggest placing your characters in different situations to see what will happen - so I thought, why not make it a writing exercise? Basically, I'll outline the situation (e.g. being chased by a bear) and the first person to post chooses one of their characters and puts them in that situation. How do they react? Do they lose their heads? Shoot to kill? Climb a tree? What? That's up to you. But remember, you have to really think about how they would act. It's no good having a complete coward suddenly develop a spine (unless, you know, he has a reason too or something). I want to learn all about your characters from the way they behave!

Once you've finished writing your post (doesnt have to be long - just play it by ear) you sketch another situation for the next person. They choose their character, write their post, and create a scene for the next person, who chooses a character and creates a scene and so on. Get it?

OK. First scenario:

Your character has been captured and sold into slavery.
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 pm
View Likes
Shafter says...

Okay, I see-- it's like a more specific version of the Character Answer Game. I'll be the first to post!

bubblewrapped wrote:OK. First scenario:

Your character has been captured and sold into slavery.

Myron would try every possible way of escape, foolish or not. He would be difficult, get beat up a lot by his captors, but finally beaten into submission. His rebellious side would still flare up, but it would be relatively easy to beat him down whenever that happened. But he would keep his captors on their toes.

Next scenario:
Your character is forced to attend a formal dinner party.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 pm
View Likes
luna_the_shiekah says...

For this one, I'll choose Ruth.

She'd feel out of her element and cross at having to be so out of her league. She'd seeth with jealousy at the obvious wealth the other patrons would exhibit and inwardly beat herself up. Then, to humiliate the person who had forced her to go, she'd be as rowdy and troubling as possible. Cursing, eating messily and likely committing lewd acts.

Scenario: Your character has lost their favorite material item, now what?
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:07 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

I'm gonna do this a little differently and actually write out the scene - just because I haven't written in a while and I think I need it.

Saphirus was NOT in a good mood. Panic rose in his chest, and he tried unsuccessfully to suppress the unfamiliar feeling.

His sword was gone.

And unless he found it relatively soon, terrible things were sure to come. Not only for him; he had weapons enough to defend himself. No, terrible things were sure to come for anyone who found the sword, and to those who fell under the rule of the man he was supposed to assassinate.

Fear mingled with the panic, now, and he began to pace around the room, hastily throwing cloaks from the table to the floor, spreading out papers and sending some of them flying, even overturning the small side table.

Returning to the center of the room, he fell to his knees and focused on his breathing. It was no use. People would die unnecessarily if he didn't find his blade, and that was a plague the Dark Realm could not handle...

Scenario: Your character is left locked in a room with only two other people for company: his/her best friend and his/her enemy. (Better, Imp? ^_^)
Love and Light

72 Reviews

Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:20 am
luna_the_shiekah says...

I'll use this one for Warrior.

She'd throw Sakura in a corner and command her to stay put while she tries to kick Olive's ass for the sole reason that the woman annoys the hell out of her for no reason.

Scenario: Your character is lost in the forest and only has a stapler and a letter opener. What do they do?
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
just call me shameless.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:10 pm
Swires says...

Derren uses both to kill animals after many many attempts at sneaking up on them. He eats the meat cold with his bare hands, then he would leave trails of blood to know where he had been. The best way to get out of a forest is to go straigh ahead, Derren is too thick to know this so he would try every direction, eventually breaking down into tears and fury because he has no power over his destiny.

Scenario: Your character is on top of the Empire State building with another person, the other one is about to jump. What does your charrie do?
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:51 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Lev-

It would depend on who the person was. Can I randomly choose other characters from my story to be on the building? Fleur: He would pull her back, tell her shes crazy, and save her life. Felicion: He wouldn't be jumping off, he'd be pushed off, by Lev. Alexei: Lev would probably be jumping with him, in this case...

Scenario:You Character is in a weighting room for a doctor, and its apparent that people who have come in later than him are already getting to see the doctor. He's been knocked out of line. What does your charrie do?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

55 Reviews

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:32 pm
View Likes
Shafter says...

Émon picks up a Better Homes and Gardens and pretends to read. After a while he realizes the other men in the waiting room are looking at him funny. He calmly folds the magazine and picks up Reader's Digest instead.
At the end of the day, the nurse suddenly realizes that he's been knocked out of line. She apologizes, reschedules him. Émon just smiles, nods, and walks out the door, feeling very embarrassed.
(Yup, that's Émon. Hates that kind of confrontation.)

Scenario: Your character has just stepped through the Wardrobe into another world.
Got YWS?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

Lev quickly realizes that it must be an hallucination. He must have been drugged by a prostitute, or worse yet, by an enemy.

Scenario: The police just pulled you over. In your trunk, they find the body of missing so-and-so very mutilated. (Assuming that you didn't kill so-and-so).
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:41 am
bubblewrapped says...

Well, I was kind of more looking for Crysi's approach - i.e. actually writing out a short scene, but whatever. If you dont have time no worries. And as I myself am short of time right now, I'm going to have to run without writing a scenario :(

So, passing on Clau's idea:

The police just pulled you over, and found the mutilated body of a missing person in your trunk. You didnt kill them. What do you do?
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

55 Reviews

Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:56 pm
View Likes
Shafter says...

(Uhm... I'm a fantasy writer, so this doesn't really work. Can I change it to stuffed in a closet?)

The blood dripped onto the floor at Émon's feet. He stood with hands clasped behind his back, gazing at the body. His mind struggled to process the scene in front of him, but all he could think of was, How in the world is Zerron going to get these blood stains out of the floorboards? They'll be here forever.
The soldier seized his shoulder and whipped him around to face him. "Well?"
"I didn't kill him."
The soldier's grip tightened. "The more you protest, the more we'll torture you. You know that."
Émon gazed once again at the body. "I didn't kill him."
The soldier shoved him toward the door. Émon stumbled along beside him.
As they were walking down the stairs, Émon began to tremble. Soon he was shaking uncontrolably, and couldn't stand any longer. He collapsed on the steps.
"On your feet!" the soldier yelled.
All Émon could see was blood. Blood, and the horrible mutilated face... "I didn't kill him," Émon whispered. "I didn't..."

(Whoa, that was awesome! It IS much better when you do it that way. Coolio.)

Scenario: A mysterious figure just cornered you in an alley. What do you do?
Got YWS?

72 Reviews

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:40 am
luna_the_shiekah says...

Chibi's red eyes narrowed and her pale hands clenched into fists. She could feel the person's aura radiate waves of malevolence. However, she being the vessel of spiritual power, she wasn't overly worried.

Her pupils glowed a bright blue and the figure incinerated in a flash of azure light. A wan smile crossed her somber features. A point for her.

Scenario: Your character is all alone in an unfamiliar place, what do they do?
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
just call me shameless.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 am
tinny says...

Ash-May tugged at the white scarf tied around her neck, begging the voices to guide her. Either they were asleep, or in a foul mood as not even a single thread would offer her help. She could feel words in her mouth, tingling, pressing against the inside of her lips, longing to escape and cry out for aid. She swallowed them down, forcing them away. It would do her no good if she were to waste letters now.

Scenario Your character is at the market and realises that their purse has been stolen, what do they do?
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:39 am
Myth says...

Aethel pushed her hand further into her pockets, there was usually some spare coins but she found none, and cursed. She had asked Paron not to accompany her, now she regretted doing so.

"I'll just have to pick someone else's pockets," she said, eyeing the crowd.

Scenario: Your character is in the lift with another person who brings out a knife (or any other type of weapon), what does he/she do?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:48 pm
Poor Imp says...

Tov back-stepped, gaze flicking from sealed lift doors to his momentary if unwanted companion.

Straggle-haired, lips cracked, the man grinned. It was the switchblade that caught Tov's attention.

"Just got my hair cut, da? Honest," he said, "Switchblade's not the best thing, you know..."

"Until we get to the next floor, next floor," smiled the man, "Yes? and maybe you give me your coat and whatever's in it and not have to get a cut-throat."

"Er, hey - maybe not?"

Tov ducked, shoulder grazed by the other's reeling lunge. Face-first, the man hit the wall. And to his surprise, found he didn't have the knife any more, or what senses he had remaining. His eyes crossed.

"Bad grip, 'rade - right?" Tov was grinning, "Hey -didn't even have to twist your wrist."

--

Scenario: Your character is stuck in solitary, concrete-walled room with no windows. What happened?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

Pigeon poop is the best way to solve problems.
— Pompadour