z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 am
Via says...

I like it. It's short but it makes me want to know, "is D.E. a place? a group? a person? a time period?" so it would make me want to at least pick it up and read the cover.

Daisy Cup
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:27 am
Jennafina says...

It sounds like it's about either a really unusual bra, or teeny pixies, small enough to drink dew from a flower. I'd read the back if I were in a good mood. (When I'm not, happy-sounding things start to annoy me.)

Blue Relic
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:39 am
Crysi says...

Blue Relic reminds me of a video game... I don't know why. Maybe I'm just tired, lol. I'd at least look to see what it was about, though - it has a bit of mystery about it, which I like.

~*~

Kiens' Battle
Love and Light

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:53 pm
Poor Imp says...

I like the name 'Kiens' -- and the title, all in all, is simple in a good way. It seems to set itself well on what it is without any extra hangings or obscurity. Without a doubt, I'd look at it. ^_^

--

Oscuridad de Luz
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:01 pm
Dream Deep says...

Well it certainly makes you want to read it, if seeing, that title. ^_~ It immediately draws a reader in, entices him/her to read more - I think especially if they didn't understand the words.

(Ah, but this is not posted, is it? ^_^)

Well... neither is this one, in all honesty:

Die Schtiel Stadt

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm
Poor Imp says...

Always good, alliteration. ^_^ I'd almost not know what to expect of a German titled story - though that's an impression neutral if not good - but it's one I'd want to stand and read once or twice, and say aloud. I would, certainly, have to read the back, or jacket-inside, to see what it was about.

(So you will post it then, DD?... ^_~)
---

Who Recalls No Name

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:15 pm
Dream Deep says...

Very mysterious and interesting, only compounded by the vague feeling of loss and confusion that seems to cover it (poor Fletcher comes to mind). I would certainly take a second look at this: 10 out of a possible 10 for "Who Recalls No Name".

(Hah, perhaps. At some point. Maybe when I'm gone, and everyone has forgotten me to a sufficient degree so that - upon reading the thing - they won't go "And to think her other work was so good..." ^_~)

Though you're naming a lot of titles in here that I would like to read more on, too... you need to post more, clearly. ^_^

--

No Shame in War

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:22 pm
Poor Imp says...

A cynical short on the tragedy of war comes to mind, something bleak that one reads because of the feeling and detail of it; and then finishes in a rut thinking 'ouch'. ^_^ I'd flip to it in an anthology, perhaps first. As a novel, I might skip over it. Though I assume it's a short story/novella?

(...Perhaps I'll post when DD posts more, yes? At least, it gives me an excuse not. ^_^'' )
--

Sankt Gorod

-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 pm
Dream Deep says...

More Russian, da? Something about the city, I got that much. ^_^ I would definitely look at the novel/story closer. It manages, somehow, to get across a feeling of subtle hope and beauty - though perhaps this feeling would be different if Sankt means something other than I think it does. ^_~

(Touché.)

--

The Tower of Souls

(Old novel attempt from years ago... sad. ^_~)

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 pm
Poor Imp says...

There's something like one of those wan, thin-line drawn illustrations about it , ghostly around the edges - I've always seen it when the thing was mentioned: a narrow tower and a faint dread of something watching it, or watching me. That said, I think it makes a rather vivid impression. ^_^ More sense of melancholy there, and death; always curiosity about death and the afterlife.

(And I think you've got the Russian right - 'Sankt' znachit 'saint' eelee mozhet 'saintly'.)
--

Shallow by the Rim

-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Dream Deep says...

Made me think of water, for some reason - the 'shallow' in particular. Or it could be meant as a metaphor, I suppose: shallow might refer to an unfufilled life or to a lack of depth of character. Either way, I'd like to read more...

(... therefore, you must post it. ^_~ And perhaps I'll post Die Schtiel Stadt in return - though it was an alternate history about Polish-occupied Germany, rather weird, all around. Thanks for the Russian translation - that is, indeed then, what I thought it was. ^_~)

--

Cloudless

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:47 pm
Poor Imp says...

Single-word simplicity is apt - can be a pleasant break from too many connotative, double entendre sort of things. ^_~ My very first thought of it came with a silly, periwinkle blue image, I'm afraid...though that made me stop a moment. Second impression was of a desert - the contrast was intriguing. It would be an excellent short story title - but it is a novella again, isn't it?

--
(Ah...I'm running out of titles, I think... !_!)

Crucilinear

-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:22 pm
Dream Deep says...

Though, as you say, the single word title is a nice technique, this title seems a bit awkward. It makes you expect a heavy piece of writing, something you'd pick up on a rainy day. Not quite attention-getting, I'm afraid. Though perhaps I would give you a different response if I wasn't so tired and therefore not as entirely appreciative as I should be to the complex. ^_~

(Ah... Cloudless, a novel/novella depending. Involved Lucifer's fall from heaven, damned angels and the like - ergo, the Cloudless, playing on the common portrayal of heaven as a place in the sky, etc. A dark story. ^_~ And I'm running out of titles, too. I've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a while here.)

--

Falling Water

459 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 pm
Poor Imp says...

'Tis pretty. I think it would catch my attention on whim; and I wouldn't begin to speculate on what its subject was. From the title, my eyes would doubtless shift to the cover art for clues. It would be one that would have to prove itself by the first paragraph then. ^_^

--

'Til Twilight

(Oy - I'm dredging through my folder of documents, looking for discarded and half-begun pieces now with titles. ^_^'')

-Lloyd Alexander

504 Reviews

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 pm
Dream Deep says...

Beautiful - I'd want to read more. It strikes me as a generally light piece, easy to read and hopeful, with a nice tone. For some reason, the first image that comes to mind is one of a late night city street, with rainwater standing in puddles and reflecting the light from the traffic. ^_~ I like it very much.

(That makes two of us, then. ^_^ Oy, look what I found:)

The Piano Player

(Reading over it... I remember writing this. Hah, it's an amusing feeling. ^_^)

When she transformed into a butterfly, the caterpillars spoke not of her beauty, but of her weirdness. They wanted her to change back into what she always had been. But she had wings.
— Dean Jackson