z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:33 am
CorruptedRoseJen says...

It sounds interesting, as I'm getting a pretty cyberspace feeling from it. It also says a lot about certain elements of the story--horror, manipulation, struggles, things like that. However, it doesn't stand out particularly well. When I stared at it for a while, pondering its meaning, I began liking it a lot. At first glance, though, it doesn't seem to be something that I want to jump onto and just read without ever putting down.

~~~

Until Tomorrow Never Comes
My room is an insane asylum, and I am the patient.

Beware of Dog signs are overrated. Beware of Writer.

Warning! Crappy author at work! Any hapless bystanders/passerbys will be sentenced to an eternity of hell by eye-hurt :3

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:42 am
Apricity says...

Hmm. The wording is a bit awkward, I'm not sure if I would read this or not. It sounds like what a YA dystopian novel might have with quite a lot of romance in it, war is probably in it too. I would go for a title that contains the same meaning but written in a clearer way.

Phantasie.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:11 am
Megrim says...

So many cool titles in this thread!

Hmm I'm not a big fan of the intentionally strangely spelled words. I could imagine this going really well with a dark fantasy cover/artwork, though. I think whether I picked it up would depend on what the overall tone was.

---

The Pull of Gravity

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:41 pm
BellaRoma says...

I like the title for its simplicity. It seems space age-y, like the novel could be set on a space station or something. I could also imagine a Stargate type set-up. Plenty of potential here...

~~~

Part and Past
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:19 pm
Pretzelstick says...

I honestly don't see how the words "part and past" have any connection at all. It seems like you just glued two words together and said: "This is a title, wdyt?" I personally don't like it and I wouldn't pick up the book for that reason.
-----

The Burning Caves
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:45 pm
BellaRoma says...

@Pretzelsing, fair enough....
I haven't written anything under the title anyway.
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:54 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I feel like The Burning Caves is something I would find in the fantasy section of the dimestore novel rack at the grocery store. Not saying it's a bad idea, simply that the title fits in alongside others I can distinctly remember finding there—and I've bought a couple of my Terry Pratchett books from there, so. My actual critique? I find it unremarkable, unmemorable, and it doesn't really draw me to it. Why should I buy The Burning Caves instead of Carpe Jugulum or Guards! Guards!?

---

Absolute
stay off the faerie paths

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:43 am
PickledChrissy says...

I get the picture of someone saying "enough!". From the title I'd expect for the main character to be very headstrong, or determined. I think I'd pick it up, and read the back.

---

Phoenix Inferno
A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed ~Second Amendment.

I love my guns. ;)

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:40 am
TriSARAHtops says...

Not bad, but it's a little generic-fantasy-feeling. The title alone wouldn't make me pick it up, but it wouldn't make me avoid it either. Very strong fantasy vibes, so your reader would have very strong expectations going into reading it, which might be a good thing, or might not be.

Death in the City of Love

btw, it's for a short story idea, rather than a novel, just so you know. :)
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:13 pm
crossroads says...

Hm. It has a nice ring to it, but I think its cover would really have to stand out for me to be interested enough to pick it up. Makes me think of a thriller starring a young(ish) woman of questionable ethics whose lover or sibling's been murdered, and who spends her nights looking for the murderer in the streets of 1050s-ish Paris, avoiding a love interest detective and/or a love interest killer.
That, or a fantasy satire about Death (as in, the Reaper) somehow literally ending up in Paris. I'd prefer to read the first one, most likely.

~

Accountant of Apocalypse
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:13 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

AriaAdams wrote:... Makes me think of a thriller starring a young(ish) woman of questionable ethics whose lover or sibling's been murdered, and who spends her nights looking for the murderer in the streets of 1050s-ish Paris, avoiding a love interest detective and/or a love interest killer.
That, or a fantasy satire about Death (as in, the Reaper) somehow literally ending up in Paris.

Admittedly the concept for the story behind this title's a little different to the plots you've mentioned, but I kinda want to write both these stories now. XD

Anyway, I quite like your title - it has a quirkiness that appeals to me, and I probably would pick it up, simply out of curiosity. Has a kind of Shaun of the Dead but in an office block feel to it in a way, definitely makes me feel like there'd be a strong humour element to it. A zombie story that isn't completely doom and gloom, perhaps.

---

Postscripts
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:34 pm
ChiravianSkies says...

When I see Post, I think After. Scripts makes me think "Writings." Like little notes hanging this place and that. So I'd more than likely assume that it's post-apocalyptic where writing's been lost in the disaster but someone's trying to figger it out again. I'd read it for sure. :)
The Stone Mages

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:42 am
Lavvie says...

Seems very typical fantasy/adventure novel-ish, particularly with the use of "mages". I'm not sure if I would find it appealing, but the title isn't unclear, so at least the reader has a general idea of what they might be in for.

-

Nostalgia

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:01 am
Lightsong says...

The title is very simple. I don't know how I can be interested in reading the novel since I don't know what to expect. Moments full of nostalgia aren't appealing to me. Perhaps you should paraphrase it in a creative way without losing its meaning.

-

The Silent Speaker
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:07 am
bluewaterlily says...

I like the simplicity and mystery of the title.

--
Breaking Pointe (A novel about ballet)
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
— Oscar Wilde