z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 pm
Brigadier says...

Well hopefully it will be about spies, if it's not then that would be disappointing. The title sounds like it's from the James Bond era of spies. Circus to me refers to a gang or circle, so most likely a group. Overall it sounds like Cold War era group of spies that have to work together, undercover in some really difficult place. Maybe an actual circus.
(It actually reminds me of this Get Smart episode called something like 'The Ship of Spies' which is probably nowhere close to this book.)

---
Into Time:What Happened in Heaven?
Though I usually drop the Into Time part because I'm never going to publish the first part.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 am
Vervain says...

So "What Happened in Heaven?" on its own I think would be a rather interesting title, but it does kind of beg the question of what did happen in Heaven and why this is so important that the question itself is the title. I might pick it up, depending on the context of where I found it.

- - -

Like You Like Me
stay off the faerie paths

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 pm
OmegaEmerson says...

"Like You Like Me" definitely has a YA, romance ring to it. It's fairly generic, but it conforms perfectly to the YA title selection. Take from that what you will. The title seems to be accompanied by the themes of star-crossed lovers, sacrifice, etc.

The Infinity Paradox

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:20 pm
Astronomer says...

"The Infinity Paradox" sounds pretty cool, but my question is, why the infinity part? Aren't paradoxes already infinite, the word infinite feels unnecessary. I think of a science fiction novel, or even a supernatural novel.

--

The Cursed Waters

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:38 pm
Desdemona says...

@Moonwatcher

The word "infinity" doesn't necessarily mean infinite. It could be a paradox referring to infinity.

--

How the Marigold Lost its Sun
Excuse you, I'm your friggin' queen!

Don't take it too hard when you lose to me, I always win.

Spoiler! :
August 1, 2015 - April 21, 2016: BlackCatXx
April 21, 2016 -- Desdemona

766 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:02 pm
Brigadier says...

I know Marigold has been used before as a popular girl name but I still always think of the flower. The title is worded as if the marigold and the sun were actually people so I'm going to take the jump and guess it is a romance.
My other choice of guess would be that it's a fantasy type book involving fairies, maybe something along the lines of Epic.

-----
The Gang is All Here (Almost)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm
Rosendorn says...

That would probably stab me in the gut and I wouldn't pick it up unless I wanted a really good cry. Sounds like a story about death/loss.

- -

Jasmine Ghost
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:45 pm
Vervain says...

This title hints at the paranormal in your story, which I found interesting - though I think it might be a bit of a turn off, knowing the opening, because this feels like it's describing a ghost as jasmine rather than being the protag's name.

-

Like You Like Me

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:11 pm
Holysocks says...

I think it's interesting because it can be either "like" as in "I like that person!" thus implying a possible romance theme, or it could be "like" as in "similar" which could make it even more interesting in a sense that I don't know what it could be if it meant that. Though it does seem like a cute, easy-going, romance title. I think I'd pick it up and inspect it further. c:

--

Mischief Moon
100% autistic

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:22 pm
Lightsong says...

The title is light, in the sense that I'm not expecting a deep reading, more to an enjoyable one with funny, heart-warming moments. It can be any genre, though I'm more inclined towards teenage fiction. Depending on the summary at the back, I might read it.

The Silent Weapon
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

766 Reviews

Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:39 pm
Brigadier says...

Hmm. The title has a dark feeling so I'm going to go with horror. There is most likely a couple of deaths by the same person. I think the murderer would be the character where the cops go "Nope, no way it's him" and then drop the suspect.
(All of my conclusions are probably wrong.)

----
A Child Named Gabe

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:58 pm
Holysocks says...

It's a bit plain. Why should I be interested in this Gabe character? Though I do like "child" in titles and I don't know why. I might pick it up to see exactly what I mentioned first off; why I'd be interested in "Gabe".

--

Shanty Town
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:24 pm
Vervain says...

I really like this title! It gives me a good idea of the setting and the theme of the piece, as well as a possible idea of a narrative voice (a little rougher and informal, not high-class or formal) and possible conflicts. It might just be me, but personally, I think this title would catch my eye if it was paired with an interesting cover.

- - -

Beneath the Shallow Water

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:46 am
Meerkat says...

This strikes me as a horror story, which I'd certainly be interested in. Something doesn't sit quite right with the phrasing, though. If this is horror, I feel that deep water would have creepier associations than the shallows. Then again, it does bring to mind the image of a shallow grave. An intriguing title, all in all.

- - -

Trilogy:
Bolt from the Blue
Blue Moon Rising
Wild Blue Yonder
"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." –Terry Pratchett

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:35 am
Rosendorn says...

Nothing particularly eye-catching about the trilogy names. They all feel like puns, which would work for a comedy, I suppose, but it feels like it's trying to be big and sweeping when they're all common sayings around the colour "blue"

- - -

Magic Shotglass
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie