z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:43 am
JumpyDot says...

This one is very intriguing, it seems to have this odd feel of a grandpa telling you a story. I love this title. Even if our nation's are at war.
~
Of Smoke and Fire

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:46 am
Vervain says...

It's okay. A little cliché sounding, and it almost invokes A Song of Ice and Fire, so you might want to watch that a little. I'd probably pick it up and check it out.

---

Chasing Heaven
stay off the faerie paths

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:42 pm
TigersMoon says...

Sounds like the book is either about something like Heaven is For Real or someone with an illness, i. e. cancer. A bit cliché, but still intriguing.

From Water to War
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:05 pm
Pretzelstick says...

Oh, that title actually intrigues me, I would use it if I were you. It is just so interesting and makes no sense really :D but that's what makes it cool!
-----

By the Road
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:19 pm
godlypopo says...

Ooh I like that! But at the same time I don't know. Gaaah, I like it but I don't. I'll just say it's pretty good.
------

The creator
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

425 Reviews

Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:50 pm
Vervain says...

Cliché and a little empty, this tells us little about the story itself—while it could work, you'd have to fit it close to the character/creator in question.

---

Chasing Heaven

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:35 pm
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Hmm. Reminds me of one of those uplifting religious books written by a preacher.
Or perhaps a romance about a guy trying to win the heart of a girl named Heaven.
----
Last
Are you living or simply existing?

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 pm
haven235 says...

Makes me think that the main character will be an underdog, but that's it.

The Lazy Man Works the Hardest

425 Reviews

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:10 pm
Vervain says...

It's a bit of a mouthful, and it takes a minute to wrap your head around even if you know the gist of it—in all, it feels like this title wouldn't end up eye-catching, and you might do better to revise it, but it really depends on the kind of story you're trying to tell.

---

Under Troll Creek Bridge

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:49 pm
Firestarter says...

Sounds a little like a fantasy cliché - trolls and bridges and that. It doesn't inspire me to expect anything new or unique. However, it is different than the usual Verb Noun that is common by other writers, so it has that going for it.

---

The Crater of Eternal Darkness
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:32 pm
ChiravianSkies says...

Sounds a bit like a Fantasy Novelist's exam question. Lemme find it..
"26. Did you draw a map for your novel which includes places named things like "The Blasted Lands" or "The Forest of Fear" or "The Desert of Desolation" or absolutely anything "of Doom"?"
Not saying it's bad, because the exam is more for comedy than actual testing, but just wanted to point that out. :)
---
Stoneslide

425 Reviews

Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:15 am
Vervain says...

Definitely interesting. It actually brings to mind a book I read a few years ago, called Tanglewreck -- not a bad reminiscence, just something I thought of. I'd probably pick it up, read the blurb, thumb through the first few pages if I thought it sounded interesting.
---
The Blackened

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:12 am
Pompadour says...

The title coupled up with your signature makes me think of intelligence agencies for some reason, but on its own it sounds to be very vague--not that it's a bad thing, the vagueness, but it feels like a title that's been rather overdone. I am interested in how you kept the article before 'Blackened', though, since a lot of people would probably cut that part out. It gives me thoughts like ... is the book based on a plague of sorts? The black death? But I usually base my opinions off blurbs also, so that's that, I suppose.

---

Meeting Thicket
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:26 pm
Firestarter says...

Not a big fan of this. It doesn't grab me. Meeting is not a particularly exciting word and Thicket, while an odd name, does not entice me. I doubt I would pick this up based on the title.

---

The Bamboo Cutter
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:38 pm
LittleFox says...

I would at least pick it up to look at it. Bamboo hints at and Asian setting and cutter hints perhaps a person with a blade. So I would defiantly be curious to see what it is actually about.

---

Adonia, Beloved
"What's 'taters, Precious?"

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein