z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu May 26, 2016 1:39 am
Lightsong says...

I'm not sure. The title suggests a kind of madness, but the word choice itself isn't really interesting. My interest on what 'absolute absurdity' is isn't enough for me to pick it up from the shelf, although I appreciate the consonance and how it can be fitted in any genre, though.

--

Wonders of the Ink Keeper
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu May 26, 2016 11:27 pm
View Likes
Astronomer says...

@Lightsong

Definitely interesting. Paired up with a good cover it could definitely pick up a few readers, but it's eventually going to be shortened to WOTIK or WotIK which isn't very appealing. I'd think of a historical fiction right off the bat, and it's very rare I see a good one of those. I get an inspirational vibe from reading the title which could really be turned into something great. I give it an 8/10.

------My Bad Title------
Every Last Drop Counts

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri May 27, 2016 12:24 pm
Jericho says...

It makes me think that this story might be something about, perhaps, the importance of water in a society as a central conflict. Or perhaps water is used as a metaphor to assuage the protagonist's or another friend's internal conflict. Either way, I find it a little clunky with the "last", and overall it feels...ideologically long. You have a number of important words and no unimportant words, so it kind of feels off-balance.

- - -

In the Absence of Stars

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:55 am
Evander says...

To be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly sure what genre that title would fit in. It makes me think of light pollution at first glance. If the cover and font was interesting enough, I would definitely pick it up. As an added bonus, the title flows nicely off of the tongue when saying it out loud.

---

Death's Apprentice
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:45 pm
Vervain says...

This sounds intriguing, and even if I didn't have an idea what story this is for, I'd guess it's a more modern fantasy, maybe with splashes of dark fantasy. I think my one critique is that it could be applied to a lot of stories, and it doesn't have that personality or unique connection to yours.

- - -

Reap What You Sow
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

I get an almost horror vibe from this, where there's a heavy sense of foreboding that payback is coming even if your actions were initially unintentional and well meaning.

--

Your Mark On Me
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

117 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:57 pm
Astronomer says...

My first vibe from this is either an abuse novel or a romance novel. It definitely sounds interesting, and I've never heard anything like it.

--

Yesterday's Prince

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

But he's a prince no more? Nooooo :'(

It has a dash of mystery to the name; probably an exquisite and dramatic tale of politics behind a throne. Sounds brilliant.

--

Coexistence
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:10 pm
tgirly says...

One-word-titles aren't my cup of tea, just because I find them not descriptive enough to necessarily elicit curiosity on their own merit. Having said that, I believe this title doesn't have this problem. The word is heavy with meaning and religious and political connotations, which could be a good or a bad thing for your book, depending what it's written about.
Coexistence is the catchphrase of those championing religious and cultural diversity, and so the reader would assume that your book at least touched on these issues. If it didn't, the reader could be disappointed; it could feel like false advertising. However, whether or not it did, the reader could be turned away from a book whose title eludes to the moral and political lesson to be gained from its reading, thinking the book may be preachy or trying to force a certain political view upon the reader. Moral lessons in stories are best snuck in, like vegetables to a child's dinner. It's the ooey gooey stuff that should be advertised first.
Despite those road blocks, I think that the benefit of such a title should be mentioned. It will elicit a strong reaction from the reader and, given that the audience is of the correct political persuasion, could encourage them to buy the book. Personally, I wouldn't buy a book called 'Coexistence', for fear of a Christian- or Republican-shaming undertone that can be taken up by the most extreme who tout the banner of coexistence.
I didn't mean this to be so discouraging; choosing such a title shows that you have the ability to choose titles that people can related to and can spark an emotional response from your audience. I just think this particular title is weighed down by too many, not always positive, connotations.

What Runs in the Blood
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

At first glance, I'd guess this is historical fiction or medieval fantasy, in a time/place where bloodline is really important. I would guess it involves royal families and political intrigue, though depending on the cover I might get a different idea. I feel like it would be either something like that, or horror, possibly revolving around a serial killer. It's not too unique, to be honest, but I feel like it probably connects strongly with the themes of the book. I'd probably pick it up to look at it and see if the summary is interesting or not. I love political fantasy, but not so much horror.

Mixing Magic
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

1272 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 am
Rosendorn says...

I know a few too many bartenders, so this immediately took on a nightclub urban fantasy type scene where magic is brewed along with cocktails.

Divide by Zero

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 1
Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:45 am
OmegaEmerson says...

Divide by Zero sounds like an interesting Sci-Fi take where characters face an impossible task. The title itself sounds a bit meh since I don't know the story to make the title make sense.

It also could be a take on loss and death, but that's just what it sounds like.

Calculated Risk / Reality Break

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:58 pm
Vervain says...

This kind of feels like it came off a stock sci-fi rack at my local bookstore. I'm not saying it's a bad title, it's just not one that would grab my attention, and even if it was split up into either half it wouldn't grab my attention. Neither of these feel very "grabby", and neither feel like they have potential to be deeply woven into the story because of how stock and pale they feel to me. At most, I feel like these titles exist for the sake of a title drop.

- - -

The Goose and the Gander
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

It sounds like a fairytale retelling, to me, something along ugly ducklings and misfits.

- - -

Cat Steps

117 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 pm
Astronomer says...

Cat Steps makes me think of something like baby steps, both are fairly small. For some reason I think of a novel about a mother struggling to raise her child? I can also think of a novel from the POV from a cat.

--

The Circus of Spies

"The adventures I enjoy are usually of a literary nature."
— Henry Winchester