z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 pm
Holysocks says...

I think I'd pick it up and see what it was about, because for some reason I'm not really getting a feel for what it's about... but I think it would be a pretty dark read, and the MC would probably be on their own a lot.

--

Glass & Ashes
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:13 pm
Vervain says...

Something about the sounds in the title don't...sound right together to me, haha. I think it's the "a" in the major words—when I say it out loud, it's awkward and I fumble over it, especially with the stress pattern accentuating the "a". On paper, it's pretty catchy, and I have a pretty good idea it has a basis in a Cinderella retelling, but I can't imagine trying to get through a conversation about this book. ("What are you reading?" "Oh, it's called Glash and...")

- - -

Dissonance
stay off the faerie paths

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:55 am
TheCrimsonLady says...

I like it. At first glance, I'd guess that it was a sci-fi or realistic fiction novel. Depending on the cover, I might pick it up. Maybe something about a prodigy musician? It's really a 50/50 chance. But then again, sci-if and realistic fiction aren't my thing.

Still, I really like the title.
----
Zero to Sixty
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:21 pm
Rosendorn says...

7/10 I'd pick it up because it sounds interesting, romance novel maybe but also potentially supernatural, both involving race cars, but for some reason "sixty" sticks out in a bad way. Even though it's the conventional method of measuring how fast a car goes, it feels arbitrary considering how most highways (which is what I think of) are 100 mph in Canada

Divide By 0
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

212 Reviews

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:35 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

Hmmm. I'd definitely pick it up, if only because I know you can't divide by zero, and I want to know what this is about. I'd say this has something to do with mathematics, and maybe doing or proving that something that people say is impossible is actually possible. It strikes me as realistic-fictiony. I'd probably read it, as long as the cover and blurb were at least average-ish.
----

Thrallmagic
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

425 Reviews

Wed May 11, 2016 7:57 am
Vervain says...

Having an unfair knowledge of what Thrallmagic is about, I'll pretend I've never seen it before :P On the whole, the title is a little uninviting to me -- it basically reads out like it says "this is a book about magic", instead of saying anything about the story itself. I don't dislike it, but I feel it could be stronger.

---

Determined

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Wed May 11, 2016 3:02 pm
tgirly says...

I'm going to be a bit biased on this, because personally, I think the one-word-adjective titles are a bit overdone (e.g.: Lost, Frozen, Matched (which I get is debateably a verb, but the point still stands), Divergent, etc). However, all of those titles are backed by really successful creations, so it doesn't put you in bad company.
I once read somewhere- I tried to find the source but I couldn't- that titles should make you ask questions, which is one of the reasons I dislike one-word-adjective titles so much, because they rarely do, but surprisingly, this one does make me ask questions. It implies conflict because if the character's determined, then there's something that s/he has to be determined about. And why is it determined and not steadfast or stubborn? It makes you wonder if she really is determined, or if this character strength is really a personality weakness as well, which could add some really interesting plot points.
Overall, while the title raises good, interesting questions and suggestions about the character's personality, it gives me zero information about what the book is actually going to be about. It doesn't suggest genre or anything about the plot. But a good cover design would probably make up for that. It a workable, solid title, but I still dislike one-word-adjective titles so it doesn't wow me, but that's a personal bias.

Runs in the Blood
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

425 Reviews

Thu May 12, 2016 4:21 am
Vervain says...

I actually really like this title! It feels a bit incomplete to me (my mind keeps telling me it should be "It Runs in the Blood" to be a full phrase), but coupled with a good cover, this is an eye-snagging title. Still, any title can be made or broken by the content it actually fronts for. :P

---

Model 10

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu May 12, 2016 4:48 am
Evander says...

At first glance, this makes me think of some sort of model who works in an agency that ranks them all on levels of attractiveness? At second glance, I'm thinking of cars and electrically manufactured things. The color red comes to mind and I'm honestly intrigued. If the cover looked interesting, I would probably thumb through the first few pages to see what it's actually about.

-

The School of No Name
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun May 15, 2016 4:04 pm
Lightsong says...

The title is definitely intriguing, as I haven't heard a school without name. At initial thought, I don't think the meaning is as direct as that--perhaps the school focuses on anything that has no name? I would assume this is fantasy-based (The School of Good and Evil :P) and revolves around either kids or teenagers (because 'school' implies it can be a place of study for both age ranges), and because of this, I might take a consideration whether to pick this up or not because I prefer school-based story involving teenagers. >.>

-

The Last Light
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

425 Reviews

Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 am
Vervain says...

This title is kind of "eh" to me. It could fit almost any genre, so depending on where it was shelved, I might pick it up, I might not. It might tie in deeply to the story or it might not, but either way, it feels like a generic "end of times"/"end of magic" apocalyptic or fantasy story.

---

The Witch's Cradle

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 pm
Lightsong says...

Definitely intriguing. The title can mean either way--perhaps a witch has a baby, and this cradle she has is for him. Or it can be really that it's the witch's cradle, which makes me think why 'cradle' must be included? I think this one can be put in fantasy shelf, and I'll pick it up for sure.

---

Making of the Flame Dancer
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 pm
Holysocks says...

I really like it, and I think I'd certainly try reading it. It seems like either a really cool fantasy novel or a more realistic one about one of those people that flips torches around- which would also be cool. o.o The only thing is I think it would be even more mysterious if it was just The Flame Dancer. Sometimes less really is more.

~

FLESH
100% autistic

425 Reviews

Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 pm
Vervain says...

It's interesting, but it brings to mind something like Crank, which I never got into. I might pick it up, but on the whole, I'd probably pass it by unless the cover caught my eye. Not a "make or break" title.

---

The Loudest Noise

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 26, 2016 12:49 am
birk says...

I guess this is one of those things were the synopsis and cover will make or break it. I feel the title itself is kind of clunky. It sounds long and off as I say it aloud. Interest gets slightly piqued as you wonder what the 'loudest noise' is though. I immidiately pictured a scream, if that's something to you.

--

Absolute Absurdity
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice