z

Young Writers Society

Lying Description - Character Development Game

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:24 am
Liminality says...

Not sure if this is dumb, but here's a game I made up based on this website: https://www.writingexercises.co.uk/charex.php

Try describing your character using three sentences. The catch? They're all lies. You can use this 'lie' description for your character's undercover disguise, rumours others tell about them, or to pinpoint the 'true' description by flipping all the lies on their head. :)

I'll start:

The Lie --
She's a confident and outspoken young whippersnapper, who is despised by all of her closest teammates for talking too much. Her skill range is narrow, including just archery and underwater basket-weaving, but she has mastered both arts. She tends to be carefree and unconventional.

The Truth --
Despite being uncommunicative, secretive and seemingly born old, this girl's friends care about or tolerate her, because they are nice and understanding people. She develops her skills ad hoc, making her a jack of all trades, but she is notably unable to used ranged weapons or weave baskets underwater. She is the most superstitious of her friend group and also tends to be the most meticulous.
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:49 pm
View Likes
MaxaM says...

About Hon'i (POV character)
The Lie:
He is very confident about himself and has a burning will to live. He is honest with himself and doesn't like talking much.

The Truth:
Hon'i is very insecure and doesn't believe that his life has any worth outside of being able to help people, he was able to see the demon he is bonded to because he needed someone to rely on him to keep living, and the demon needed someone to rely on. He doesn't straight up lie to himself, but he runs away from his problems, and he loves talking.

About Isac
The Lie:
He is a very insensible person who doesn't enjoy the company of other people. He actually stabbed someone once and he is cold to others without any reason.
The Truth:
Isac is sensible to a fault, and actually has very strong emotions, but because of his trauma that took the form of the Hedged Hog monster, he couldn't open up or let anyone gets through his defenses, so he closed up and repressed all of that. He never stabbed someone, but he walks around with a pocket knife and would stab you if you bugged him too much, but now he is working on his temperament.

542 Reviews

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 am
Liminality says...

@MaxaM Love how detailed and complex these are <3

Decided to do a couple more.

1. The Lie -- She is a born prodigy with a goal to avenge her father's death. Her father's profession equates to her passion. She is a charity case and a martyr figure.

The Truth -- She had a complicated love-hate relationship with her father and her main goal is closure from that so she can move on with her life. She was groomed to become unusually adept at natural science since she was very young. She hates being pitied and loves being given space to be independent.

2. The Lie -- He is a natural-born rebel who just doesn't like conforming to society, hence his isolationist lifestyle. He has a hero complex and likes the limelight. He likes to keep exotic plants.

The Truth -- He was essentially a conformist for most of his life until a particularly cruel mentor made him see his society for what it was, spurring him to leave. He grew up playing surrogate parent to various children and is thus used to being depended upon, without which he feels useless. He is gathering odd plants on behalf of a fugitive friend's project, even though they haven't contacted him in months.
she/her

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:49 am
View Likes
MaxaM says...

Wanna know? I'll do one more.

Kaiki Shishigami
The Lie:
Kaiki is a really honest person, who values his friends more than anything else and for no reason in particular hates children.

The Truth:
Kaiki is a professional liar that gains his daily bread through scams, blackmail, and farses. He doesn't care about other people and sees them as a way to learn to step up his lying skills and to profit more, but in the rare case he comes to value someone, he would easily kill for that person. Kaiki, even though he has a hard time showing, has a soft spot for kids, especially poor ones, and if he sees one lost by the streets he will most likely take them to the nearest guard station or to their parents, and if they don't have any he is very likely to give the child a good amount of money to guard themselves for a some time

542 Reviews

Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 am
Liminality says...

Back at it again doing my own character development game, haha

These characters are from my NaNo project, because I feel I've hit a bit of a roadblock with them.

Bryn the Outlaw

The Lie:
They are a quiet generic second-in-command whose every action is actually all according to keikaku. They have a rivalry with the main character because of career reasons. Their main skills are being the party's last reasonable braincell. They probably say a lot of cool lines in a very formal way. They are known for committing crimes.

The Truth:
They are something of a hanger-on who is secretly really stubborn about what they will and will not do for the party. They often surprise their fellow heroes with their actions. They have less of a rivalry and more an ideological disagreement with their leader brought about by new political circumstances, who they otherwise would trust with their life. Their main skill is actually scouting and spying, which they do not always perform safely or sanely. Bryn is often awkward and ineloquent because they talk so little - they don't get enough practice. They have never actually been caught committing a crime.
she/her

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality