z

Young Writers Society

Fugue poem

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:08 pm
View Likes
IamI says...

This is my first time writing something like this, so please notify me is this starts growing tentacles or begins making noises.

The structure of this poem is as follows:

Six stanzas of six lines with twelve syllables each line; the third word of the line rhymes with the final word (the rhyme scheme will be seen later).

between each of these are two stanzas of three unrhymed lines, six syllables each line. The second lines of those two stanzas need to be added together and form a line in the form of the longer stanza line without alteration.

The final stanza takes the first and last lines of the six line stanzas and puts them together, divided by the combined middle lines of the three line stanzas. I suppose it should go without saying, but it needs to make sense, preferably bringing the story of the poem to a close.

This is confusing. Like math, this is probably best taught by just giving the form. here it is:

A1
B
C
C
B
A2

A
B1
C

A
B2
C

A3
B
C
C
B
A4

A
B3
C

A
B4
C

A5
B
C
C
B
A6

A
B5
C

A
B6
C

A7
B
C
C
B
A8

A
B7
C

A
B8
C

A9
B
C
C
B
A10

A
B9
C

A
B10
C

A11
B
C
C
B
A12

A
B11
C

A
B12
C

A1
A2
B1,B2
A3
A4
B3,B4
A5
A6
B5,B6
A7
A8
B7,B8
A9
A10
B9,B10
A11
A12
B11,B12

The Bs are from the short stanzas

Just to give an idea about how hard this is, I had to omit the short stanzas and I’m still stuck on the third stanza of the one I’m writing.

Good luck!
-_-

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights