z

Young Writers Society

Same-story challenge

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Teddybear says...

Hello everybody! So, here's the deal. You will be using one of my stock characters and short story outlines to write a story. Everyone gets the same things.

The point is to illustrate the fact that even if something has been done before, it hasn't been done BY YOU. Everyone has a unique writing style and a different way of imagining things, so here we go.

The character you will be working with is Nadia. You can write the story in whatever your preferred genre is (I'll give you that freedom), but she is intended to be a fantasy character, specifically a niad.

She (if in a fantasy setting) has blue-green skin and deep blue hair that reaches past her waist. Her eyes are a similar shade to her hair and she has a long, curvy frame. She wears specially designed clothes that she makes herself and doesn't mind making an occasional item of clothing for her nearly unlimited number of friends.

She is friendly (as you may have guessed) and has a hard time dealing with conflict.

The general idea of the story is this, Nadia learns that one of her closest friends, Bianca, is a lesbian (all I will tell you about Bianca is she is incredibly well respected as far as social standing goes, except her mom, who's in prison for getting caught stealing from either a museum or a bank, you decide, and she can kick the collective asses of anyone dumb enough to get in a fight with her). Nadia's only problem with that is she knows and has known for a while, that her other closest friend, Raymond, has the biggest crush on her and is planning a really extravagant surprise for her to ask her to what is basically prom (if you want to do this in an urban setting, then you can have it literally be prom).

She is sworn into secrecy by Bianca, though, and no one, and I mean no one, ever breaks an oath made to Bianca, so she has to figure out a way to convince Raymond to ask someone else, or at least not ask Bianca, without telling him why.

If you want a subplot, get creative. I'm not giving you that, use those writer brains of yours.

For a bit of context, Raymond is planning the big surprise to be in front of most, if not all, of the school, so if he goes through with it he not only humiliates himself, but he also runs the risk of outing Bianca to the whole school as well. If you want to add some extra risk to her being outed, make her parents homophobic (maybe not her mom because she in prison anyway, but her dad at least).

Okay, there's the challenge, either give me a link to your work or tell me where to find it so I can see what you did with this!
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:19 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Hello!

So, the way you phrased this made it sound like it is more of a writing challenge. Storybooks tend to be written collaboratively, with each participant taking a particular character.

If you like, I can move this thread to the Writing Challenge forum, or we can talk more about how this story might be written.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina