z

Young Writers Society

Post Your Favorite Lines

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Post your favorite line so far from a project you're working on! It can fit into any genre or style of writing (yes, poets are welcome too!) and can be as short as one word or as long as a paragraph -- hit us with it! Just make sure you're following the YWS rules for posting in the forums (no cursing, etc).

Feel free to comment on the favorite line of the person above you too c: This isn't a critique game, but it's always nice to hear what we've done right!

- - -

Right now I'm working on The Autumn Door, and while most of it is "oh my god don't look" levels of cringe, one of my favorite (if cringe-y) lines so far this draft is:

At first, she only saw one rider. His horse was great and black as night, dappled with stars in its coat, and he wielded a shining sword that seemed to glow with the reflection of the moon itself. He looked impossibly large, cloaked in power, and the crown on his head shone with the dull light of ancient gold. His horse’s hooves beat the path, leaving searing black marks in its wake, and as he raised his sword, he screamed in wordless, terrible rage.
stay off the faerie paths

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:21 pm
View Likes
FireSpyGirl says...

"People fear the unknown, it's just the way they are."
"Those moments when your in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down"

"I'm erasing myself from the narrative. Let future historians wonder how Eliza reacted when you broke her heart

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 pm
View Likes
Starve says...

With a parachute released quickly, his motion slowed and he swayed down the last few thousand feet, cheeks and trousers wet like they hadn’t been in two decades.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Because tortillas are totally a bread item.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:31 pm
View Likes
Jericho says...

《 The city shines brightest in the absence of stars. 》

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:43 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

It was when she had crept back into her room, wrapped herself in itchy wool blankets, that Athena stared out her window and wondered what the world would be like without dreams.
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

766 Reviews

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:04 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

“Well to be fair, you did throw a guy over the banister.”
“He fell, buddy."
"Yes, he fell. Right after you shot him if I'm remembering correctly."

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:00 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

He was freezing, slowly, from the skin towards the heart.
stay off the faerie paths

766 Reviews

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:11 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

“How have you been, Mack? Still the hell raiser you were when I left or did you mellow out to just be a magic mushroom.”

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 am
View Likes
Samhain says...

I felt comforted by the darkness that shrouded the bus ride. It was like a warm quilt, yet it wasn’t so comforting that I didn’t still feel the coldness and the loneliness that I wished I didn’t feel. I think it is this icy emptiness that somehow in part gave me the desire to not be alone, to not be in a state of displacement and uncertainty - and I know this seems to go against why I left my father - but I didn’t feel safe with him anymore. With my mother I felt safe. I just wanted to feel safe again. Safe and secure, without fear of being attacked or moved or abandoned. I know I sound like a child when I say these things, and quite frankly I know that these things are but a child’s fantasy, but why not still dream of them? This world is an uncaring, unloving place. Sometimes you need a bit of a dream to give you something in the future worth walking toward, even if the destination is never achieved.

- Kaya Cortez, Kaya's Story
2 Legit, 2 Legit 2 Quit

414 Reviews

Reviews: 414
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:31 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Keila peeks down at her fingers, where a little fluff ball sits, apparently relaxed in its new position.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm
View Likes
EverLight says...

Okay, I know this is a bit cliched but this has always stuck with me
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain

Let's see other then that I'd have to choose this
Life at it's best is precarious business, and we aren't told that painful or difficult things won't happen. Just that it matters not only to us, but to the whole universe
I'm winning at life!

766 Reviews

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:52 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

From this week of #LMSV and #HDYP:
Winslow tried not to think too much about who Reggie had probably killed this morning, focusing instead on a singular peacock feather in the band of the man’s fedora. He was glad to see that the agent had maintained the dramatic and mysterious elements that had been so present in their meetings during the war. This car wasn’t quite as dimly lit as the one Reggie had parked sideways on the Avenue of the Americas on a fateful Wednesday.

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:32 pm
View Likes
LittleLee says...

"If i wrote a story about my life... It would be a tragedy."
-- Ken Kaneki
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

766 Reviews

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

(yes this thread is dead and yes this quote is from a fanfic i'm on, but i'd like to reboot this thread)

They all sat in their uncomfortable silence, sipping at the cups of tea as an excuse to not talk about the multiple elephants in the room. There were a few moments when they all tried to break the silence at once with more polite comments, but ultimately they kept to the first decided event until Miss Mary finished her cup of tea. This was the breaking point that Merlin was dreading to happen, having lived in this village long enough to know her ways of signaling a new mood. From the second her tea cup clattered against its mismatched saucer, he held his breath at what line of interrogation she would first pursue.
“So, Arthur, what brings you back to England after such a long time in the foreign service?”

Doors are for people with no imagination.
— Skulduggery Pleasant