z

Young Writers Society

Challenge the Person Below You!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

Leave a writing challenge for your fellow YWSers!

The Rules:

Challenges may not be ridiculous (please don't challenge people to write for more than 1 hour at a time, or to write over 1000 words in one sitting or anything like that).

Challenges may include things such as "include the color blue in a scene", "write 3 lines of consecutive dialogue", "incorporate a poem into a chapter", etc.! Feel free to leave challenges for poetry and prose, including short stories and novels! This way everyone gets to have fun!

No, you don't have to provide proof -- this thread follows the honor code! Actually complete the challenges you're responding to, and you'll become an even better writer!

You MUST complete the challenge of the person above you. Once you have, respond to the thread with something like "challenge completed", and maybe a favorite part of what you wrote! Feel free to talk a bit about your writing, too!

When you respond, you MUST leave a challenge for the person below you.

Have fun!

- - -

I challenge the person below me to write for 15 minutes!
stay off the faerie paths

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:02 am
View Likes
Oxara says...

I have been writing for the past 17 minutes (Really the past hour or two but 17 minutes snice I saw this), so challenge completed

I doubt anyone here will have followed my LMS, the demon maiden, series but I was writing that (before now jumping into some Nano writing) And I am kinda am somewhat happy with this chapter. Though I went back and looked at my previous chapters and they were just well rather bad and I asked myself did I write that? So that was funny, but in case any of your interested I won't give spoliers but I feel like there's more of an emtional impact in this scene as well as just being more well written (though there's still grammar mistakes and that in there as it stands right now, but ignoring that it just felt better to read)

Anyway to the challenge

I challenge the person below me to take a single line form one of their story and make a poem based on or using that line. Or if you normally write poems than you can take a line form one of your poems and write a paragraph or two (or more if you want) using or based on that poem line.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:30 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

It was a town of opposites with very few in-betweens.

it was a town of opposites /
with very few in-betweens

here / now,
let the sun burn away the
fog like a breeze
to ashes

if / then
there shall be a day
where no day
will come

let night / fire spread as
a bruise / blush
through the pale mountains
and across the bloody sky

- - -

I challenge the person below me to incorporate the color yellow into their work using descriptive language! (So you can use the words "yellow", "gold", "ochre" etc. but you could also do so much more ;D)
stay off the faerie paths

Reviews: 2
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 am
View Likes
BooksCatsAndTea says...

Challenged completed! rubber ducks have will never be as prominent as they are in the second chapter of my first draft which is a bit too long to post here.

The basic premise of my story is an intergalactic exchange program of sorts, three extraterrestrial beings selected specifically from certain planets are going to live in a college dorm along with three humans in order to learn the earthen customs. Little do these aliens know that the supposed humans they’re living with are actually also aliens, so this makes for some interesting events and such.

Anyways, here’s me challenge to the person below me:

Incorporate a visit the the dentist’s office into a poem, short story or section of your writing. It doesn’t have to be major, even if it’s just a passerby booking their appointment or whatnot. Best of luck!

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:06 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

HAHA I did it!

They passed by a small residential area, with just a row of shops to its name. Aruna heard her boots clack as she stepped onto the old tiles that made up the corridor, minding not to get her toes caught in one of the broken ones.

To her left, she saw a blue-painted sign for a dentist’s clinic. It was hanging before a short and narrow stairway, one that was dark and vaguely smelled of disinfectant.

She doesn't quite go inside, but hey, it's there. c: I really liked this challenge - it motivated me to write lots until I got to a point where I could put this dentist's office/clinic in.

My challenge for the next person:

Write a description of a character or place that does not use a single simile. Do that for about one or two paragraphs (or one or two stanzas).
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.
— T.S. Eliot