z

Young Writers Society

Ultra-short Fiction

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 am
Sam says...

"What the Hell are palm fronds?"

Ethan was peering at his textbook, inadequate glasses only blurring the words before him.

"I think it's an ice cream flavor," a voice behind him chimed, doing nothing to soothe Ethan's irritability. There was not a term in any book, anywhere, that he did not know.

This wasn't going to be the first exception.

He leafed through the glossary; forty pages of unintelligible gibberish...the meanings seemed to slide down the page in an ink avalanche, refusing to reveal their hidden meanings.

There did not exist a word Ethan didn't know- what was happening to him?

__

101! Hurrah!

Hmm...Next topic: hearing aids
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

What the heck? What do I need a hearing aid for?

demanded Frank, pinkie twirling in his ear as he tried to remove invisible earwax.

I said, gramps, you need one if you want to get a burger! screamed Polly, trying desperately not to embarrass herself.

After several more minutes, she gave up and put her face in her chili.

Next subject; Chocolate bunnies
ohmeohmy

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:44 pm
Charlie II says...

Easter chocolate is the best type: delicious, dark and delicately eased into the shape of a bunny. Good old Lindts! Unfortunately, it wasn’t mine.

Nevertheless, the forbidden treat on the shelf whispered to me in my head as I sat on the coach.

Go on! Just a nibble, she won’t notice.

After an extremely brief struggle, my craving got the better of me. I stood, with care, on the table and reached up to snatch the rabbit from its lofty perch. It started with one small bite, but after a few moments of indulgence, the entire rabbit was gone. . .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was difficult! I don't think it worked very well, but the next subject is 'instruments'.

DarkLight
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:56 pm
Twit says...

I stroked the smooth silver of the flute, my fingertips brushing over the keys. I could dimly see my face in the shiny surface, a featureless blur. I could feel the beginings of a tune inside my head. Like water trickling between the stones of a river bed, like a bird's beak combing through its feathers, the melody ran through my mind, echoing my innermost thought, my most heartfelt desire . . .

"Uh, 'scuse me?" The shop owner was apologetic. "You have to buy the instrument before you play it."

------------------

Next subject: roses are red, violets are blue.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:00 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Roses are red...violets are blue

I almost stopped reading the poem from then on, hating cliche in all it's many forms.

I like coffee...

Okay, what the heckl?

but do you?

....What?

You are invited to the coffeeshop on Fifth Avenue by your friend, Tyrone!

I couldn't help it. I grinned.

Next subject: brushing hair
ohmeohmy

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:25 pm
Twit says...

Sorry for my lack of accuracy, Baroness. Yeah, thinking back, you play the flute don't you? Whoopsie. :oops:

--------

"Ow!"

"Hold still."

"Ouch!"

"Hold still."

"Owwwwww - eeeee!"

My sister completed her torture, and laid the brush down. She reached for a band, admonishing: "You must brush your hair more often."

"I hate brushing my hair! It hurts!"

"It wouldn't hurt if you brushed it more!"

I thought about this, then said, "So, I need to brush my hair more, and get hurt doing it, to save myself pain when I don't brush it?"

"That's pretty much it."

"Now, I know you're crazy."

----------

Next subject: cloth weaving.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 pm
Alice says...

Four months had gone by, I had fallen in love with a mortal and for some unknown reason his life was cut short. For a while I thought that he was following me.

I wandered the streets in my thoughts and found myself hungry. I decided to go hunting. I'd best leave my thoughts of my poor mortal behind.

(Story enough)
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 pm
Bella says...

I loved him. He hated me. I killed him. I'm now in prison. The food sucks here. I still have my shoelaces. Don't expect to hear from me anymore.
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:36 pm
Twit says...

What's the next subject?! Okay, I'll do one: Newfoundland.

#TNT

142 Reviews

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 am
Bella says...

I found a large chunk of land. It was new. I called it "newfoundland." It's lonely here.

*Cats*

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:01 am
scrambled_pages says...

He sat by the dish, the faint reek of artificial fish wafted to his nose. He managed to consume some of the muck before the dreaded exclamation of “Kitty!” rang through the air. The rest of the evening proceeded with the poor feline being dragged about the kitchen floor by his tail. The poor old fellow sighed longingly for the pyramid dwelling folk who knew how to respect a superior being, but, curled up at the foot of a warm bed with the wind howling out of doors he thought; “Well, it’s not so bad.”

95 words!

-Gen

NEXT: Light Bulbs
"There is no happiness in love, except at the end of an English novel."
-Anthony Trollope

142 Reviews

Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:03 pm
Bella says...

OH IDEA!!! LIGHT BULB! *LIke in cartoons where the bulb pops up over someones head...* I forgot my idea while explaining that to you. Oh well...

26 words

Next: Preps.

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:07 am
Alice says...

If i was to tell you my entire life story, you'd die of boredom. So I'll just give you the sum ups...

I was born in the same town i died in. I never left it. I never had any kids, i never fell in love, but i never left. When i died i wasn't found for eight days. it gave the room a horrible smell and i did i admit take great amusment out of the faces of the cops.

81 words!
I just lost the game.

142 Reviews

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:10 pm
Bella says...

what's the new topic Alice???

Got one: dogs

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:41 pm
Crysi says...

Before I give my entry, writer_chick_13, I'd like to remind you that you're to write about 100 words of fiction - make it a mini short story, not merely a random couple of sentences sort of relating to the topic. Challenge yourself. Thanks.

~*~

Sandra closed her eyes and forced herself to breathe. She choked on the smell of waterlogged fur. Bodies brushed past her legs, almost knocking her off balance.

“Sandra,” came the cool, refreshing voice. Somewhere to her left, one of the creatures barked, and she flinched. She felt like curling into a ball, but that would only bring them closer.

“Sandra,” the voice came again, “open your eyes.”

Slowly, she complied, letting the light filter through her eyelashes.

“The fear’s not gone yet, is it?” the therapist asked her.

Sandra looked around in the safety of the office, no dogs around. “No,” she said, “but let’s keep trying.”

~*~

107 words. Hey, I tried, right?

Next: humiliation
Love and Light

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor