z

Young Writers Society

Fill In The Paragraph!

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:23 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Hello YWS, and welcome to this new activity I thought of. I will provide you with two paragraphs that are slightly related, and then you will try to fill in the space between the two paragraphs with one paragraph, preferably about 6-10 sentences.
There will be a little competition thrown in! The winner of each weekly competition will receive 100 points and a special little congratulations on their wall from yours truly. It will be graded using the following:
Sensible Plot- Does the plot make sense? There is a little wiggle room here, but connecting a story that begins with a boy who finds a goldfish and then ends with water spilled all over the carpet should not be connected with a paragraph about aliens abducting the goldfish and accidentally spilling oil on the carpet.
Consistent characters- Plot twists that result in one seemingly sweet character becoming the villain are fine, but try and keep them to act somewhat in character and in consistency with their actions in each paragraph
Consistent genre- Pretty self-explanatory. A romantic novel should not be connected with a sci-fi paragraph that makes it seem disjunct.
And finally, my own personal and unbiased opinion about which one seems to make more sense. If they both are close, it will come down to the quality of the writing! Check out the paragraphs in the reply below, and good luck to all! My PM is always open :)
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:35 pm
View Likes
Atticus says...

Matthew Davis rode his bike down the narrow path, weaving around pedestrians and dog-walkers. Sunlight reflected off the shimmering lake waters, and the sun was just starting to come out from behind the clouds. Something moving in the otherwise still waters caught his eye. It seemed to be struggling against something in the water, trying to escape but unable to do so because of an injury. Matthew leaned his bike against a nearby bench and hurried to the water's side, where he could get a better view. It was definitely an animal, about 4 feet long and of a grayish complexion. He squinted to see what it was struggling against, but he couldn't tell from this distance. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the first number that came up.

*insert genius paragraph here*

Matthew sat in the waiting room of Jennifer Lindquist Animal Hospital, drumming his fingers against his leg. He had been waiting patiently for 30 minutes without even so much as an update. Frustrated, he ran his fingers through his hair. He couldn't believe what had just happened.

Finally, a nurse entered the waiting room and sat down in the seat next to him. "We have discovered that the rescued animal is a she, so we've taken the liberty of naming her Liberty. She's expected to make a good recovery, thanks to your help," the nurse continued. Matthew smiled. "Glad to be of service," he replied.
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor