z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback [2]

1085 Reviews

Reviews: 1085
Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 pm
View Likes
Mea says...

As before, just give feedback for the title posted above you, then give your own title for the next person to critique!

Last post was by @Lightsong, critiquing @Jhinx's title.

Seems fantastical at first glance, but upon pondering, the title might as well be a metaphor related to one's life (although the plural form of moon make it read less so). If so, it indicates a deep story, one that would tug reader's heartstrings. I would check it out, and would read it depending on the blurb.

Beyond Minds, Across Sounds
We're all stories in the end.

I think of you as a fairy with a green dress and a flower crown and stuff.
-EternalRain

I think you, @Deanie and I are like the Three Book Nerd Musketeers of YWS.
-bluewaterlily

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 pm
View Likes
AnarchyWolf says...

@Lightsong

Beyond Minds, Across Souls

The 'beyond minds' sounds a bit sci-fi and dystopian. Perhaps something to do with mindreading, or surpassing the power of the human mind. Something cool like that. 'Across souls' leads me to imagine something romance-y. The combination makes me imagine something perhaps morally grey, with the whole mindreading thing, that would most probably make the reader think. It'd definitely draw me in to at least read the blurb.

---

Wolf's Moon Gone
Don't resist the water. Welcome it.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:43 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It sounds like a fairly generic werewolf YA fantasy. Not my cup of tea, but I might pick it up just to read the blurb.

- -

Arcane Shotglass
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:15 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I think it's interesting, but between Arcane Shotglass and Magic Shotglass the second catches my eye more -- something about "Arcane" feels distant and High Fantasy, while "Magic" fits better with the modern feel, in my opinion. I like both of them, though, and I love the feeling they give me for the story.

- - -

The Witch's Cradle
stay off the faerie paths

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:02 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I am reminded of a few plots, all of which sound interesting and involve witches trying to raise babies, so I'd pick it up to see what the blurb was.

--

Trickster's Alchemy
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:13 am
View Likes
Werthan says...

That sounds cool. I'm guessing it's about either a jester or a rogue doing alchemy in the Middle Ages.

The Weight of Silence

(I'm guessing that's horrible, but this thing is hard to title)
Und so lang du das nicht hast
Dieses: Stirb und Werde!
Bist du nur ein trüber Gast
Auf der dunklen Erde

(And as long as you don't have
This: Die and become!
You are only a gloomy guest
On the dark Earth)

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:29 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

Quite mellow and dark, like the title of a murder mystery.

--------------------

A Dungeon Boss's Journal
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

425 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:25 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it has a kind of draw, because it's very blunt about what it entails (and what it entails is interesting, a look into the thoughts and daily life of a boss monster in a dungeon). On the other hand, all it makes me think of after that is Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I despise Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Personal bias.

- - -

Clementine's Monster

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:51 am
View Likes
Omni says...

So, I don't know about this title. Like, I vehemently dislike titles with character's names in it. I also don't like titles that has an apostrophe in it, because it just looks clunky and I prefer my titles with a clean look to them. However, I love love love Clementine as a name. It might be TWD video game that made me love it so much, but it's parallel to innocence to me at this point, so the name Innocence's Monster (for lack of a better word) is a wonderful contradiction, even if you didn't mean for it to be. It's also unique by the image that it strikes just by reading it. You get two contrasting ideas propped up against each other and it just begs to be read. So, you succeeded in that part. <3

- - -

Chaos Edge
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:17 am
View Likes
Pompadour says...

The title reminds me of Chaos Walking, except that I'm iffy about whether or not Chaos is meant to be possessive, and 'edge' is a word that comes off as rather ... bland to me. I'm thinking supernatural ghost fiction and rickety buildings on cliffs? which is an interesting combination, so I'd probably read through the blurb--the title does have a 'I've-seen-this-somewhere-before' feel to it, though.

--

When Atlas Fell
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

425 Reviews

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:21 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

I am so so so sorry but the only thing I can think of is Atlas Shrugged. It's the name and the past tense, I think, that tie it together too strongly. Other than that, it's actually a rather bland title for me -- except for the inclusion of Atlas, it's lackluster. Try inserting any other name without mythological reference: "When Rosanne Fell", "When Jack Fell". It comes off flat.

- - -

The Memory Bug

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:31 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

Sounds like a sci-fi interaction making me think about such games as 'remember me', like some sort of virus or glitch in the system is messing with everyone's minds or a fantasy story about a literal bug that messes with memories. So interesting, and click worthy.

-----

Double Genius
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

It sounds like a story about two kids who are, or think they are, smarter than everyone else taking on the world. It's probably some sort of mystery, whether it's mystery adventure, or mystery and science fiction, but it probably has some real life elements to it such as places, general guidelines, or something like that.

--------

Quirni: The Marrilian

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:20 am
Mageheart says...

It sounds like a fantasy or sci-fi story; I'm leaning towards sci-fi because it reminds me of Star Wars from the names. I would pick it up to check out the back, but it wouldn't catch my eye as much because the words it consists of don't hold any meaning for me.

- - - - -

The Automaton's Heart
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

425 Reviews

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:35 am
Vervain says...

I'm not really impressed. It feels like I've seen this title a dozen times before, so while the cover art and synopsis could make or break it, it doesn't impress an actual emotive feeling on me. It gives me an idea of a steampunk setting, but not much else.

- - -

The Uses of Common Foxglove

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage