z

Young Writers Society

Title Feedback [2]

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed May 30, 2018 3:37 pm
PrincessInk says...

The title sounds as though it's a novel with magic in it, whether it is fantasy or magic realism. I'd be interested to see how a spider's web ties to the story (whether there really is a spider's web or whether it's just metaphorical). But the title also strongly reminds me of Charlotte's Web and I'm not sure it's a good idea to have that impression.

- - -

Iris Unearths
always daydreaming, always clumsy

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:03 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

It feels a little clumsy to me. Sounds very much like a stock YA literary fiction novel -- might be spec fic, but it probably errs on the side of light fantasy or magic realism if it is. It makes me think it's being artsy for the sake of artsy, but I have that opinion about a lot of things, haha. Not a bad title, but not something that would make me grab something off the shelf on its own.

- - -

Bearskin
stay off the faerie paths

Reviews: 1
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:35 pm
Barcodes says...

While thinking, I got a title, I'm not sure if you'd like it or not. "A lost Heartstring".

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 pm
View Likes
Hattable says...

@Lareine

Bearskin conjures, duh, bears. But also, like, a sweeping view of some massive temperate forest, so it sounds like it could be some fantasy novel taking place in a forest somewhere (or not fantasy at all). Could even about someone who can transform into a bear? But it also sounds like a typical no-fantasy-here survival story. It's a bit of a simple title, and not something I'd personally be too intrigued by, but it's aight?

- - -

Exorcising Your Rights!
"I remember I posted Klingon and it made the mods super hard" -Willard

Prok once said something about Nate and apple pie. I forget the context.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:52 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Starting with your title, @Barcodes! A Lost Heartstring sounds a bit cliche to me, but at the same time, I don't think I've ever heard of a title quite like that before? It does kinda make me wonder what exactly this story is going to be about- I mean most likely it will be about love and loss and everything in between, but I feel like there's a little more to this story, based on the title... like I'm hoping it a little that it's got something to do with music- heh, that might be on the cheesy side but I like the thought personally. XP

Alright, now (because I already wrote this, Lare might as well see it!) onto @Lareine's title: I really like this title, and whenever I see you talking about it on you're wall I'm so intrigued just from the title (which is what we all want, I'm sure cx ). It certainly makes me think the book is going to be quite gruff, somewhat magical (like woodland elves type magical in a sense) and yeah. I would definitely open it up to see what's inside, based on that title.

And Now @Hattable! Your title makes me think of a political type of book- and I'm guessing satire! (I actually didn't notice that it was EXORCISING instead of EXERCISING until reading it a second or third time- but I'm like that with words so that mayyyy be why- but I could see people potentially not catching onto that, if they're anything like me, and thinking it wasn't satire or comedy or something, and instead a serious book perhaps. I'm not sure! The idea though is interesting- it makes me wonder what exactly exorcising your rights would mean, like removing your rights, I guess? Purging yourself of your rights. O>O Interesting. I'm not sure if it's the sort of thing I'd pick up to read, but it DOES sound quite interesting and like there'd either be some good laughs, good points, or both!

----
Now for my title: Custodian
100% autistic

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 pm
Barcodes says...

I really love this thread so let's go again with another title!
"A Flower's Excuse"

141 Reviews

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:01 am
Hattable says...

@Barcodes, the point of the thread is to leave your thoughts on the title posted above you, then to leave your own title at the end of your post for the next person to respond to, lel

@Holysocks, Custodian has me thinking of legal battles, particularly over the custody of a child? It could just refer to something in your story looking over something or someone else, but it's got a heavy legal vibe to me.

- - -

The House of the Great Dark

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:15 am
Barcodes says...

@Hattable, I'm sorry I'm a newbie here. I'm terribly sorry! Anyways, The house of the Great Dark, it seems that it is a horror type in an old English setting. It would be even greater if it has some kind of mystery theme such as what lies in there? Is it only something that has some kind of connection to the dark? Or perhaps it talks about some kind of occult?

141 Reviews

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:29 am
Hattable says...

@Barcodes, no problem! Just thought I'd let you know, haha-- also, you're pretty spot-on with your interpretation of the title! Definitely an occultist mystery vibe.

Youuu didn't include another title at the end of that post there, but I'll go with your last title, A Flower's Excuse.

This sounds like something involving fae/fairies? Whimsical fantasy stuff-- I get a vague Alice in Wonderland vibe, too? Mostly getting ideas of plant people, though, which could be neat. No idea as to what kind of story it'd be, though. Adventure? Romance, possibly? There's a lot of things that it could be, but the title doesn't really give me a concrete idea of a single genre.

- - -

Ashes, Ashes

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 am
View Likes
Barcodes says...

@Hattable The title "A Flower's Excuse" is just a metaphor of the whole story. I think its all about an innocent girl who refuses to accept her new ideals and the environment she lives in right now.

"Ashes, Ashes"

Hmm... All I can think is people's meaningful death. Their ashes are like the adventure of their life. It can be fantasy and mystery. It would be more interesting if all of the events are happening in the future but moving towards the past.

---

Code of SIGMA

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:16 pm
Lightsong says...

Very sci-fi sounding, which, hmm, can be off putting for some people? I mean, sci-fi as a genre is not bad, per se, but the title itself presents the objective nature of sci-fi. What I'm trying to say is that, while there's mystery about the code, it isn't presented in a catchy way. Like, how about expanding the title to give us a clue of the atmosphere of the story? Like, 'Code of SIGMA: The Forbidden Secret' or something. Put more flavour into it.

---

Book One: Dancer of the Fire Blade
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

425 Reviews

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I feel like this is stronger without the "Book One" attached. Granted, I don't know the market you're trying to reach, but if it's a series then you'll already have "Book One" printed somewhere on the cover or spine. (Or even "Book One of [Series Name] Series" or something.)

"Dancer of the Fire Blade" I think is interesting -- it leaves me curious and wanting to know more about the story. It sounds like a fantasy story that obviously heavily involves dancing and fire, or if not dancing then at least swordplay. I'd probably pick it up if I saw it on a table or a shelf, just to look at it.

- - -

And It Was Summer

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:34 am
Rosendorn says...

That feels like a slice of life type rom-com with a tragic twist, a suddenness of summer and a suddenness of something having just ended, but something new beginning.

-

Universal Mixology
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

425 Reviews

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:42 pm
Vervain says...

Honestly, this sounds like a fun romp through spacetime with some drama added in for kicks. It brings to mind the niche of spec fic from the 80s with cool names and cool, character centric covers that clearly evoke the story's "take no crap" attitude. I'd probably pick it up to check it out.

- - -

The Shape of Silence

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm
mellifera says...

It sounds intriguing enough that I'd pick it up off the shelf, but I wouldn't be able to put a genre to it. It's very similar to The Weight of Silence (which also intrigued me lol), so it does have a mysterious edge to it for me. Maybe dark fantasy or mystery?

---

Starry Eyes
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian