Poetry Exchange August

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:36 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

Poetry Exchange

With the new Poetry Wars up and active, and summer in full swing, I'd like to run a poetry exchange this August, probably for the entire month. It's not an event that takes a lot of your time, but they're very useful for you as poetry writers, and they give you a chance to interact with other poets on the site, so join up for a grand time and meet some new faces.

What it is

A poetry exchange is a system of exchange. Everyone submits poems into a hat, and then you pull out as many poems as divides the hat contents evenly, or mostly evenly, between all of the people who put something in. You then review/comment/mark up the poem[s] that you've received.

In technical terms, it's a mix up of poetry. In a poetry exchange, you do this twice, so every poem gets 2 reviews.

Here's the technical details about how I do this.
Spoiler! :
Basically as people submit their poems, I create a list that I later put into a random generator, and then I assign poems with the widest spread I can. I try to make sure one person isn't reviewing everything by one other person, but that each person has a unique writer for each poem.

I also try not to have friends, or people I know are super familiar with each other's work, reviewing one another because they tend to already have that feedback. Aside from that, I just go right down the list.

For more information about the technical aspects of this event, check out How to Run a Poetry Exchange

How it Works

When you say you want to join, post a link to the poem you want to join with, and when August comes, I'll send out a PM giving you the poems you've been assigned to review. They will probably be on a Pirate Pad, so make sure you can access tools like the WriterFeed Pads before you sign up. If you can't, then I can accommodate you by sending you the poem directly through PMs and copying your feedback into the Pirate Pad for the next person.

The reason we do Pirate Pads is because you can comment on particular lines, and in the second round, you can see what other people are commenting on too.

This does have a deadline of usually a week or two. The opening PM will update you with when that deadline is.

The second round begins after the first deadline. That deadline, however, is not set in stone. If you would like to review your first round poems during the second round, that's completely acceptable. However, poems which do not receive a review the first round, may be doubled up in the second round to ensure everything gets two reviews, so tell me if you're just going to have to wait until the second week to review.

The second round happens much like the first. I send you a PM with links to the poems you have to review.

After all of the rounds are over, usually there are only two, I send you a link to your own poems again [it's included in the first PM too] and then you can check out the feedback that you got on your poems. I also send out a list of all of the poems which participated in this Poetry Exchange so you can check out other poems too and maybe leave a few extra reviews.

This is really simple, for now, just say you want to join below and I'll get in touch with you as we get closer to August [next week] and ask for the poems you want to submit.

You can submit anywhere from 1 to 4 poems.

If you already know what you want to submit, you can PM them to me, or post them in the forum under a spoiler.

Rules

1) PG work only.

List of Participants

1. Aley
2. Gardevite
3. Morrigan
4. Audy
5. bluewaterlily
6. megsug
7. Pompadour
8. AliceAfternoon
9. PenguinAttack
10. Kaos
11. ElizabethLovelace
12. penfeme
13. PrinceofTerror
14. Lightsong
15. Kazeybear

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:53 pm
View Likes
Gardevite says...

I'd love to take part!
Formerly Hightop

Garde's Reviews

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:29 pm
View Likes
Morrigan says...

me
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:30 pm
Aley says...

OMG @Morrigan YAY <333 Help me advertise this =D?

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

@Gardevite Please please please submit more than one poem! The people I'm getting verbal confirmations from I'm convincing to submit like 2 or 4, so please, do so as well. I can't wait to see what other type of work you have after seeing you compete so well against blue in the Poetry Wars.

@PenguinAttack: I really want to sign you up for this.

Other people I think should sign up. @megsug @Sweater @TheCrimsonLady @Lightsong @Jhinx @Kaos @Auxiira

@Any new poetry writers who have recently joined the site.

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

Me too.
Test

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:41 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

@AliceAfternoon should join this too. >3

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

me as well!
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:15 pm
View Likes
Charm says...

Well @Aley if you insist xD

Spoiler! :
can I submit a poem when it gets nearer to August? I don't have anything I want to submit yet.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:24 pm
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Oh all right.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:24 pm
Aley says...

Yes, yes you can @AliceAfternoon I'm expecting them around the 30th

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 pm
View Likes
Virgil says...

im in weeb

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:01 am
View Likes
Brigadier says...

*has 50 million other things to do*
*signs up*
I can complete all of those tasks before August and manage to write a pg poem.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am
View Likes
penfeme says...

Do I have time for this?
No.
Do I want to do it?
Yes.
Sign me up!

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour