z

Young Writers Society

The Paragraph game

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:16 pm
View Likes
ThePatchworkPilgrims says...

Okay, so this is a little experiment of mine I would like to try out on here... The rules are that we all write as the narrator of the "adventures" of the same character, George Daniels, yet we may only write one paragraph at a time. We are all essentially writing a story by writing our own story.
Your paragraph should follow up on the paragraph before yours, but may be as random and crazy as possible. However, NO other characters are allowed- it is just you (the narrator) and George. Animals don't count.
Also, you must set a challenge for the person after you, like for example writing a paragraph without the letter e or m, or using all five senses, etc. Be random, yet do-able in one paragraph.
You may however, add three lines of thought that don't form part of the paragraph, e.g. I think I should go through the red door, George thought as he stood there indecisively... (as the narrator, you are not allowed to become George, and must attempt to speak of him in the third-person predominantly)
So let's start this tale...

On a cold autumn day, George Daniels walked into the abandoned coffee shop on the corner of Sixth and Main street. The walls were plastered with the clichéd rose pattern wallpaper, and old sepia photos dotted the walls. He walked over to a table beside the newspaper stand, took the top copy, and sat down to read the latest headlines.

challenge: Since this is the start, I'll keep this simple... Describe something else in the coffee shop, whether it be George, the newspaper or the shop.
Former incarnations have been:
TheWanderingWizard
TheClockworkConjurer
TheIllusiveIntellect
TheSunderingSorceror
And, TheMaieuticMesmerist

Proudly [They/Them]

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:40 pm
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

"A Non-Fat Latte with Caramel Drizzle for me please" George ordered, being a very picky caffeine drinker. He flipped open to the last page of the exclusively black and white newspaper, to get to the miscellaneous ad section of the news. This was the absolute only thing that he checked in the newspaper, because this was an old habit that he had picked up on, he didn't quite feel like wasting his time on that trash in that the headlines covered. On the very last page of the very last one, one specific ad literally jumped out of the page to grab his attention:
"Want to explore your right-brained creative. Come on the net and join YWS today and get those creative juices flowing."

He knew he was going to be ready for NaNo this year.

Challenge: Give a summary or synopsis of his future NaNo novel in one paragraph. Write it like a book blurb. (you can't use your own NaNo idea. This doesn't have to that specific, but just very creative.)
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:37 am
View Likes
erilea says...

George obliged and pulled out his silver laptop, flipping it open. Minutes later he was on Young Writers Society and had already made an account. Someone named "Big Brother" had already followed him, so shrugging, he followed Big Brother back. Then he got started on NaNo.
'The light was fading, but as Nelaia sat at the table, she was wide awake, reading. Sure, the continental curfew was 10:30, but most of the time she didn't care. In 2050, some people were allowed to break the rules. Occasionally."
George paused to think, then began writing again. Soon he had finished a chapter and posted it on YWS for all the users to see.

Challenge: Describe a user (not yourself) stumbling upon the work.
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

346 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 346
Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:00 am
View Likes
Pretzelstick says...

@Pamplemousse stumbled across this NaNo novel, and was even surprised that the user was like already posting it, when they had just started. Wasn't NaNo supposed to be a very rough draft with "word vomit" on the pages, or--er computer screen. She liked this idea. Her favorite line award from that chapter was:
The silver lining of her garments shone in the full moonlight under a canopy of crickets.

Ohh, Pample decided that this was a novel worth following, and since the fairly new user, George was writing it, she decided to show him some love and give him a like+ a review.
He was going to get the critique.

Challenge: Don't use the word "the"
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads only lives once
~George R. Martin

Life isn't about finding yourself; it's about recreating yourself. ~George B. Shaw

got yws?

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:51 am
erilea says...

@Chaser winced as he looked at George's story. It was a mess of typos and errors; this was going to be one heck of a review. Taking a sip of his coffee, he settle down before his computer and began typing. His review went something like this:

"Hey, Georgito! Welcome to Young Writers Society! Chaser here, to review your NaNo work!..."

Before Chaser could continue, a chatbox popped up on his screen. It was Iggy! What was she here for?

Challenge: Describe Iggy and Chaser's conversation! :)
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina