z

Young Writers Society

WWYCS?

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:01 pm
View Likes
EmilyLemke says...

Okay, the world just ended, and your character is the only one left standing.
What would be the first thing your character would say?

My Character:
Jake sighed, "Better go get myself another beer."

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:49 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

My character:

Rease started to cry. She was the last person left, she had no one to connect with. Dejectedly, she signed, "Lonely." She raised her left index finger, her palm was facing right. Her finger was brought by her trembling lips, then she brought it down, then up. Rease's finger was moving in a circular motion up and down. She did that motion two times. She exhaled again, she was lonely.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:53 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Was it worth it?

Hampton's voice echoes in his head.

Darwin jerks his head to the side, then rolls his shoulders back and takes a few steps forward. His feet push the edge of the building, the tips hovering over a pit of darkness.

In the background, another building crashes to the ground, the foundation weakened by force and fire. It goes down in flames.

Screams of pain and agony fill his ears and Darwin tilts his head back, reveling in the sound. His arms rise, aligned with the horizon, head tilted back. His breaths are slow and deep, a smile grin touching his lips as the world crashes down before him.

How could you do this?

"Go away," Darwin snarls. His dark green eyes snap open, swirling around, as always. A habit he'll learn to break, so used to looking around, ducking his head, avoiding the glances he got. The whispers, the snickers.

Tell me why.

"You already know why!" he screams, grabbing his head and kneeling over. Pain throbs in the back of his skull as Hampton pushes, his brain feelings like it's tearing in half from the fight of two souls using it.

He hunches over, takes shallow, shaky breaths. The pain subsides as Hampton backs off. He's still there; Darwin can still feel his presence, though his thoughts are blocked away, a mental wall thrown up as he processes what Darwin means. Darwin, you never told me why. Unlike you, I know how to respect boundaries.

Darwin rolls his eyes at that, slowly straightening up. He peeks over the edge of the building, down into the streets, into the chaos. Debris costs the roads, flames flicking in the distance, smoke billowing up in cloud and floating up into the evening sky. Destruction is everything. It lies in the broken remains of the city, only one of many that was destroyed. Bodies scatter near and far, bent and twisted and split and shattered. Humans are dots on a radar and that radar is quickly turning black, the lights fading away.

It takes awhile. Darwin circles around the edge of the building, drinking in the end of the world as the screams slowly fade from a million to a thousand, a thousand to a hundred, a hundred to one. A little girl is running, skirting around bodies of people she may or may not know. She's crying, blonde hair whipping her face as she scans the debris, looking for someone.

Darwin watches her, follows her along the buildings, until she unwillingly turns the corner and runs straight into an abyss.

Her screams fade away and suddenly, it's quiet. Finally quiet.

Darwin stops. He looks around. He hops more buildings, turning and spinning and rotating until he comes full circle.

He's alone.

Entirely alone. Hampton is gone. Darwin probes his brain but gets no response. He doesn't know if Hampton is alive or if he's gone, finally gone. Darwin didn't even know if it's possible for him to leave but he did, somehow.

Was it worth it?

The question echoes in his mind once more.

Darwin finds that he doesn't have an answer.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:16 pm
View Likes
r4p17 says...

"Well, I suppose the next thing that is on the list of Terrible Things Happening to Me is meeting someone else who survives that I hate, but will have to marry to continue humanity!"
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

802 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 802
Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:34 am
View Likes
Dracula says...

"I'm here. So it's not over yet."
I bought a cactus. A week later it died. I got depressed because I thought Damn, I am less nurturing than a desert.
-Demetri Martin

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:00 am
Dbrd231 says...

I have several :)

Evan Robert
Evan cried out, clutching Tate's dress. Her scent was still strong on it, and it only made him feel more grief. The King of Victori was the only human left alive. His Queen, his Prince, his father, his subjects... everyone. Everyone else was gone.
Throwing the jeweled crown aside, he tore the tie from his long, dark hair, letting it fall forward. Rearing his face to the glaring blue sky, he let the tears fall. Alone. Alone. Evan Robert, King of Victori, former outlaw, was the only one left.

Nami --- (currently no last name)
Nami sighed as she lay down. She was the last person on Earth. As she closed her eyes, she relaxed, knowing everyone in Cathedral would still be waiting for her. Perhaps, she mused, she could stay there forever.
She opened her eyes, finding herself in the gusty halls of the Wind Palace. Or, rather, they were supposed to be gusty. "Hello?" she called. "Mythos?" she yelled, hoping Cathedral's King would answer. "Mythos!" she called again.
The halls threw her voice back at her. Panicking, Nami made her way to the throne room. Throwing open the heavy jade doors with little effort, she stepped in. Then, she screamed.
A gun was in the hand of a familiar blond man slumped over on the large throne. Mythos's blond hair was stained scarlet, and his green eyes were wide open.
Nami ran to him and pressed two fingers to his neck. No pulse, and his body didn't move.
"No." Nami backed away. "No. No. No!" She put her hands to her head. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Mythos! Please, wake up! Please! Don't leave me!" Squeezing her eyes shut, she screeched in grief. "Mythos!" Her screams echoed throughout the halls. She willed and willed, but no matter what she wished, Mythos sat motionless.
Nami left the throne room, walking blindly. Through the twists and turns of the jade palace, her footsteps resounded lonely and resolute. She pushed open the gate, easily twelve times her height, and walked out of the royal home.
Staring into the seaside village below, she saw its fields empty, and heard no sounds of crackling fires or yelling fishermen. A boat bounced alone on the waves beyond.
She didn't need to will herself away to the Bloodlands, or the Isle of the Unspoken, or beneath to the Oracles in the miasma. She knew everyone was gone.
She closed her eyes, and opened them to find herself in her bedroom. "Everyone is gone," she cried, sitting up. "Everyone but me. Is this what you wanted, God?" She got out of bed, looking to the ceiling. "Is this my punishment? So be it." She sat back down slowly. "Three days. If I sleep for most of that time, it might be painless." She lay back down, closed her eyes, and began to dismantle Cathedral.

Exodus Smith
Exodus fell to her knees in front of the altar, clasping her crucifix in her hands. "God, am I the only one left? Am I the only one You haven't taken? I don't understand this! Why am I alone?" She closed her eyes, and Elizabeth entered her mind. She gasped, eyes snapping open. "The board. The board! Was that it?" She yelped in despair. "God, I'm so sorry! Strike me down, please, just let me be with Esther again!"
THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!! - Margaret White (Carrie, 1976)

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:45 pm
Firepower13 says...

Tallulah Bridges

Tally frowned as she looked around. It took her a moment to realize what must have happened. "That is just typical of my luck," Tally grumbled at the sky, indignant fury covering her pain. She knew she should be angry, but there was no one left to be angry at. Tears crawled up into her throat as she thought of Kyle's faithful letters, and she screamed, a sound of raw, animalistic pain. Tally collapsed on the ground and buried her face in her hands, shoulders trembling with silent tears.
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Don't you have other things to do? Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 am
View Likes
Dutiful says...

"Crap."
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:47 am
willachilles says...

Well shiiiii...
Do you even YWS?

"Poetry is what happens when your mind stops working, and for a moment all you do is feel."
-ishitadutt

"You have to pretend to sleep before you can ever dream."
-silented1

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm
fukase says...

I keep my memories at a place people would see them as a trash. My life is useless, after all.
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:41 pm
Satira says...

Hmm... well this is nice and quiet.
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:40 pm
BellaRoma says...

Mercy, Imaginary Friends

I see why I always won out now...
It's so much easier to destroy than to create. The universe runs towards chaos; it can't help it.
Yup, it's a good day to be a spirit of discord...
You cannot train yourself to notice,
To feel pain, and swallow fear

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 pm
LordZeus says...

"Damn. My parents died when I was very young, and I was forced to live on the streets. And now everyone else is dead too. But wait! That means the Blade hunter who killed my parents is dead too! Vengeance is served! *punches air then goes to an abandoned ice cream stand and helps himself to a large serving of Mint chocolate chip*
-Ron, The Blade Chronicles

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:01 pm
Pompadour says...

Trevor, from Empasse~

--

Trevor stood in a pile of nothingness. To his left there was mist. To his right, more mist. But his boots were still covered with slime.

He bent down to wipe the slime off his boots. They were his best pair, after all, and his aunts would kill him if he ruined them.

Belatedly, he wondered why he was still alive. He wondered if the ship had crashed or if he was the one who was dead, if everyone else was still alive.

But, he reminded himself, the black birds had been all too real. The mountains crashing down and the river swallowing itself a thousand times over, spitting the ship like a harpoon into the mountains--that had been all too real. The screaming, the clouds that obscured his vision, the black birds that weren't vultures but sang like nightingales, and the shrill calls for help. Toppling out of the boat. Toppling into quicksand. Boots covered with slime and sludge and a million other tiny particles. He was standing. His boots were still dirty. The swamp had happened.

Belatedly, Trevor wondered if this was an existential crisis.

Then he bent down to wipe his boots.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:41 pm
erilea says...

Leia Jackson

Her sword hit the telephone pole, once again.

In the past few minutes, it had managed to hit about five times. Hey, it wasn't her fault! Yeah, ADHD got to her most of the time. She couldn't help it if she accidentally pushed a button on her watch! Whoever came up with that idea was evil.

Subconsciously she tapped the button again.

CLANG!
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

Carpe Diem
— Catullus