z

Young Writers Society

Writing Prompts

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

Writing Prompts can be a word, sentence, plot concept, or picture that can inspire you to create something when you don't have any ideas. So I'll post up a few and you can post up some if you want, so we can inspire anyone who sees them to write something new. If any of these ideas get your creative juices flowing don't hesitate to pm to read your work. I would love too.

1. Write a letter to your "future" or "Past" self.
2. Fear was a basic human response. She couldn't help but feel her body both tense and heat up as she placed her hand on the handle.
3. "The Old Ones aren't as indestructible as you were led to believe."
4. "We never really get the whole story, do we?"
5. Write a story where The protagonist is a researcher or engineer whose conflict comes from which side of a war or political spectrum to give his creations to first.
6. Write a short fantasy that takes place within a single building.
7. A world where gravity flips every night. Bonus points if you can explain it. Extra bonus points if you can explain it without infodumping.

Happy writing! :D
Last edited by Gravitaxis on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

6 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 am
Gravitaxis says...

Here's a few more for you guys.

1.) "See? I'm like a bridge. An old, dusty, burning bridge over a giant kiddie pool filled with sharks. Oh, and the sharks are swimming in cranberry flavored Jell-o."
2.) "My mind is like a steel trap... rusty. And illegal in forty-nine states...give or take..."
3.) "Sometimes it is easier to see the light when you stand in the darkness...or something philosophical like that."
4.) "Persons like you and me don't get to have happy endings."
"People. I think you meant to say people like you and me don't get to have happy endings."
"What?"
5.) "I love a man in uniform."
"But I'm not in uniform.
"Exactly."
6.) "We are NOT the good guys! We never was and we never will be! So stop it!
7.) "I have pandora's box! And now I feel tempted to open it."
"Don't! You'll kill us all!"
8.) "Have you ever seen a woman in love? Madly in love? I will do anything for him. I'll kill anything or anyone for him. Even you."
"Why? What are you going to do if you find out he doesn't love you back?"
"That won't happen."

6 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:08 pm
Gravitaxis says...

1.) "There's nothing between us but air."
"What about love? Is there any love between us?"
"That too..."

2.) One of your characters has their hands stabbed with a bayonet.

3.) Choose one of the "Seven deadly Sins", have your MC spontaneously commit it or embody it.

4.) Your character feels as if they are being strangled by something invisible.

5.) Memories, what if they are passed on too you from generation to generation? This one has a lot of potential. What does your character know? What does everyone know?

6.) The trickster of fate meets the keeper of time. What happens? Are they friends or enemies? Lovers? Frienemies?

7.) "We welcome you to our reception," The flyer read. In the corner was a skeletal crow, leering. "Yeah, that's not creepy at all..." She whispered.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:05 am
TigersMoon says...

1) The protagonist is locked up somewhere for their "own good." Write about how they escape the prison, but the outside isn't at all what the thought it would be.

2) Write about a protagonist who has to prove he/she is brave.

3) Write about a magical ring that anyone would love to get their hands on.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

6 Reviews

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:04 pm
Gravitaxis says...

1.) A Captain sets off on a mission to negotiate an interplanetary alliance, but he’s warned it could lead to Earth’s destruction.

2.) “I have to deactivate you. I’m sorry.”

3.) “Resistance is futile.”

4.) An alien race makes contact—with King Tutankhamun in ancient Egypt.

5.) The only child aboard a space station saves the day when its crew is plagued by a debilitating illness that only affects adults.

6.) What if we eliminate aging?

7.) Write a story/poem with this title: "Wallflower Social Club"

8.) Choose either: The last human being in the world stood alone in a room; there was a knock on the door. -OR- The last human being in the world stood alone in a room; there was a lock on the door.

9.) Two prominent Gods have an ancient friendly rivalry. One of them suddenly realizes their followers are taking it entirely the wrong way.

10.) God is fed up with having to judge everyone's morals, so he gives the role to the most average person he can find: The Protagonist

11.) Make an interesting story out of a horrible opening line. "You see, I have this candle..."

12.) A time traveler from the future arrives in the present. This traveler is alone, but possesses the knowledge to change our future history from an imminent disaster to a literal paradise.

13.) Create a perfect world wherein there are no crimes, poverty, illness, inequality, etc. Explain why the protagonist hates it.

14.) In the year 2049 world leaders on earth receive information on sentient alien life, they soon come to the conclusion that the human race, is in fact the most advanced and powerful species in the known universe.

15.) If Fate has a daughter, humans will go crazy with how life works. If Fate has a son, humans will die from many wars. Unluckily, Fate has a twin, a boy and a girl, so what's a human to do in life?

16.) From an early age The Protagonist has been able to see 24 hours into the future. Today he/she woke up with a terrifying event playing in their head that shakes them to their very core. They know that the world will never be the same again. He/She knows that tomorrow...

17.) A young man lives alone inside a mirror world. People are unable to see him when interacting with mirrors, but he is able to see them. One day, he notices someone staring not through him, but back at him.

18.) God is creating the universe and has a hangover.

19.) Start a story with the line, "Come with me. There's no time to explain."

20.) The protagonist is a human, and his fiancée is an angel: Wings, halo, grace, harp, the whole nine yards. How did this romance come about? Or The Protagonist is a Demon and his fiancée is an angel. or The Protagonist is an Angel and the fiancée is a human, etc.

21.) The bell tolls, the seals brake. The apocalypse has begun, except no one can find Death.

22.) Throughout the course of a seemingly normal story, the narrator is attempting to ask the reader out on a date.

23.) The universe is coming to an end. God has become flesh, and (s)he is spending his/her final moments wandering around a ruined land, as (s)he waits for his/her old friend, Death, to come for him/her. The two can be friends, lovers, or enemies.

24.) Write about a world where Adam and Eve didn't eat the apple, but Cain still killed Abel. Adam and Eve are forced to watch their sons and daughters kill each other as the generations roll by.

25.) Eve tells Adam that she doesn't want kids. So Adam cheats with the succubus Lilith and conceives Cain and Abel.

26.) The 7 deadly sins share a meal together and they get into a family feud, the usual. How do you think the conversation proceeds? Who hates who? Who loves who? Do they like/hate their jobs? How do they feel about humans?

27.) The Protagonist leaves a bar drunk, and get into his car. As he drives away he sees and picks up a hitchhiker; The hitchhiker is the Grim Reaper. Who speaks as though he knows the character on a personal level.

28.) Lust is a guy, and all the other deadly sins gives him crap because he's always portrayed as a woman.

6 Reviews

Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 am
Gravitaxis says...

1.) You are a survivor of a world wide nuclear war. You live in the domed city of hell creek. The city is powered by a generator which is running out of power. Your job is to find a safe place. To do this you have to survive acid rain, nuclear wastelands and terrifying GM mutants. But how?

2.) Creatures exist that only few humans can see. If they know you can see them, they will kill you. You are lucky enough to see them.

3.) Your final wish to the Djinn is to meet the girl who will be your perfect soulmate. Just then you hear an ear piercing scream... your best friend/roommate just turned into a girl.

Reviews: 1
Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:55 pm
View Likes
YcleptCimo says...

- The MC has survived the end of the world, but is left with a fork, a Spanish-to-French dictionary, and a half-melted action figure.

- A superhero must destroy a villainess. The only problem is that the two have huge crushes on each other.

- The MC is cursed with not being able to sleep for the rest of his life.

- Emotions are literally bottled up and sold as drugs in a dystopian future.

- The MC joins a man on a quest to find a loved one in the middle of the universe.

- Two teenagers who absolutely despise each other are challenged to date for six months.

- "So?"
"So what?"
"So what does it taste like?"
"It tastes...it tastes like the ever looming presence of an oblivion you can delay, but never stop, so you just learn to ignore it."
"So...like strawberries?"

- The white snout of a unicorn-masked man popped out of the psychedelic van. "Get in, I'll explain everything later," he snapped at me. And, like the absolutely rational person I was, I got in the van.
Take me to the end of the world.
There I shall race with the moon, play with the stars, and dance with the planets.
There I shall taste the universe.

6 Reviews

Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 pm
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

1.)You're killing time just teaching your little cousin some basic anatomy, but you don't seem to be able to find her heart beat...

2.) Everyone has a door that only opens immediately after they die. You just watched your door open.

3.) "God dammit Dan! We practiced this! Over and over again! How the hell did you mess up?"

6 Reviews

Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:58 pm
Gravitaxis says...

Sorry, I haven't posted up anything for a while.

1.) "So, how’s your day going?"
"Well, so far I’ve drank my first alcohol ever, been peer pressured into robbing my best friends rich arch-nemesis, been chased by the cops into a dingy basement. So pretty damn good."

2.)"You’re a liar and a cheat, and that’s why I trust you"

3.) "I remember when I was only an idea. I remember how they doubted me."

4,) "Never had I seen someone look so lost in their own home before."
"Well, I lost my memories, so what'd you expect?"

5.) "Are you seeing what I’m seeing?"
"It’s physically impossible for me to actually see what you’re seeing, but yeah. I see it."

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:24 am
TigersMoon says...

1) "Just kill them. That would solve everything."
2) "For the last time, I didn't kill Annabel Springs!"
3) "That's the last time I take orders from a pink llama."
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

6 Reviews

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 pm
Gravitaxis says...

1.) "Your soul is mine!"
"Ugh, I'm starting to regret making that deal."

2.) "Three things came to mind when someone mentioned her. The first was the trail of broken hearts she left in her wake. The second was the cherry red lip gloss that was her signature feature. The third was that one time at the toy factory that no one talks about. Seriously. Don’t bring that up."

3.) "Just like the good book says, Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."
"When I was born my mother tried to choke me to death with my own umbilical cord while my father sat there and watched."
"Good lord!"
"My parents shall receive no mercy from me."

6 Reviews

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:19 pm
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

1.) "God, I hope you get hit by a bus on the way home."
"Well, I hope you get stabbed to death in a dark alley way."
"…Wanna go make out again?"
"Well, duh."

2.) "I know that I’m not good enough for you- I thank God every day"

3.) "Stop asking me questions!"

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 pm
MarbleToast says...

1) "Well, that could have gone better."

2) Spaceship. Cargo Hold. Aliens. MC is in said Cargo Hold. Continue.

3) "How on earth did you even manage THAT?"

4) A candela is the base unit for the intensity of light.

5) "Ah-ha! I have an idea! Wait... what was I talking about again?"
"An idea?"
"What are you on about?"
Dreams sprout tall so beautiful
to wither and fall off
Old and dusty, creaky and rough
This clockwork will not rest

6 Reviews

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:12 am
Gravitaxis says...

1.) "Don't be stupid. No one has felt love in over a hundred years. What makes you think you feel it now?"

2.) "Things are not always as they seem. Sometimes flaws become superpowers and superpowers become flaws. You would be wise to remember that."

3.) Scientists have developed a pill that temporarily disables the part of the brain that feels fear.

4.) You are on an expedition into a dense jungle. Days into the expedition you find an elaborate city hundreds of years more advanced. Empty it provides little information to its origin until you stumble upon a hologram that tells a story about its existence and aliens.

5.) The most powerful sorcerer/sorceress in the world doesn't look the part at all...

6 Reviews

Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:13 am
Gravitaxis says...

1.) "I'm so old...I just want to die, but I keep FUCKING RESPAWNING!"
"That's what you get for choosing Resurrection Immortality, should have choose born again."

2.) "This world is nearing it's end and you want to have sex?"
"This might be our last chance."
"She has a point."

3.) Death must kill his beloved...

4.) You fall asleep in a suicidal state of mind, you have a dream that makes you want to live again, but can't seem to wake up.

5.) God/dess of War falls in love with a mortal commoner. The king of the Gods strongly disapproves.

Time is not your best friend - unless you use it wisely.
— Marco Pierre White