z

Young Writers Society

Writing Prompts

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

1.) A person is haunted by a single word cropping up in random places and periods of his/her life.

2.) You look at your reflection in the mirror every day. One day it looks back at you and says: "All right, that's it. Let's go."

3.) In a world where magical powers are real, theologians debate both the existence of God and whether the coming of "the messiah" was an event of divine providence or just another extremely powerful wizard influencing the course of history.

4.) You have been reincarnated as a newborn baby. As you grow up, one by one your memories from your past life return to you.

5.) Prophesies are real but you can be killed before they come true. If you die before then,you are cursed to roam the Earth for eternity.

6.) Humanity was wrong about the universe, we thought just because the sun was a yellow star that it wouldn't blow up anytime soon. We just learned that two solar systems over a yellow sun younger than our own just exploded. All stars come in different colors and sizes, it doesn't matter about it's age...

7.) I stood before the embodiment of fear, and told him to stand aside.

8.) A man and death play a game of chess. Every move is tied to a moment from the mans life, good or bad. Who wins and what does it mean.

9.) "Every monster needs a child to save them, and every child needs a monster to grow old"

10.) A tragic event that ends with the protagonist becoming a god.

6 Reviews

Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:51 am
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

1.) The main character used to be the hero, but after a fight with the big bad, he quits despite their still being crime in the world. Why does he quit?

2.) The main character is a alien that looks near identical to humans, only thing different about him is his absurdly long lifespan, his strange alien biology, and weird personality. Why is he on earth?

3.)The main character dies and goes to heaven only to see an old dead guy sitting on a throne. He decides to move the body and sits on the throne himself.

4.) The main character and the antagonist are complete opposites of each other, yet by some twist of fate they're madly in love with each other. The main character is the hero or a random bystander, while the antagonist is the villain bent on the world domination. How do they make the relationship work?

5.) The main character releases a immensely powerful ancient evil from a box, but luckily the ancient evil is subservient only to the main character. Comedy ensues.

6.) The main/supporting character is an immortal who gained his status unwillingly when he was tricked into destroying his entire civilization leaving him the last of his kind.

7.) The Main Characters love interest is secretly a psycho killer who "cleans the filth of humanity", ranging from petty thugs to murderers to corrupt politicians. When caught in the action by the MC, she/he claims that they come from a long line of killers and that the're just continuing the family business, earning a living from a secret organization. She asks the MC to join them.

8.) When the twenty four hours of a day is up, a hidden hour appears the world twists and transforms into a demonic person where monsters and demons roam around freely. No one knows this world exists as those who do are found by the monsters are killed. The Main Character has lived in both worlds: The Normal and The Demonic worlds since as long as they can remember. How do they survive? Do they interact with the monsters?

9.) For whatever reason God and the MC do not like each other.

10.) Mars is terraformed . The main character climbs Mt. Olympus mons and finds an elderly man reading out loud while surrounded by millions if not billions of books. After failing to get his attention The MC decides to take a seat and listen to the story. The MC slowly begins to realize as he/she checks out the old mans books that the old man is reading out the events of the universe, every second of everyday. "...The End." The old man just stopped reading...

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:34 am
View Likes
TigersMoon says...

1) Five people. One jet pack.
2) Certain people are born with the ability to read thoughts. They are outlaws and have bounties on their head. The MC is one of them.
3) The color pink is dominating the world. One rebel wears orange.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

6 Reviews

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:32 am
View Likes
Gravitaxis says...

1) You're supposed to die sometime this week from terminal cancer. You just dreamt of a man telling you that you have been made immortal today, and now you've been woken up by your doctor barging into your room with a shocked expression on his face and your file in his hand.

2) In a world that was taken over by beings not of Earth, you along with your most hated enemy must burry the hatchet on order to survive in a world no longer yours.

3) The love story of two statues that could never communicate directly.

4) The narrator slowly falls in love with the antagonist. The protagonist tries to win the narrator back.

5.) In a world where everyone is crazy, write about the patients in a sane asylum.

6) A guy/gal finds a mysterious number in their phone. It turns out to be a number for room service that will bring them anything, anywhere.

7) God comes to you in your sleep and explains he is not who everyone thinks he is. He asks you to do a favor for him...

8) End a Story with "Humans always found a way to surprise me"

45 Reviews

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:15 pm
View Likes
TigersMoon says...

1) The MC is stuck underground in a filming accident. They have to get before the other thing down there gets them.

2) Because someone spilled a can of soda, the apocalypse happened.

3) The MC realizes Halloween might have a bit more fact in it than thought.

4) Six people are stuck on an elevator. Two are lovers, two are enemies, and one is a murderer.

5) An enchanted doll finds its way into the hands of the MC. It claims to be sent to help he/she, but its actions might prove otherwise.

806 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 806
Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:11 pm
View Likes
Aley says...

1) A night to remember: Write about the worst day/night of your characters life coming to a resolution that's unhappy.

2) Make something traditionally cute and happy evil. Do not use bunnies.

3) Destroy the Rhyme: Take a nursery rhyme and write it into a short story/novel/poem that makes it particularly horrifying.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:15 am
Shiverfeather says...

1) "That always scared you, though and now here we are"

2) "How long's it been now? A few years, at least."

3) "you know death never did scare me."

4) "welcome, I didn't expect you to actually show."

5) "you have no idea, do you?"

6) "If you agree you take the risk."

7) "It's funny how you get so nervous when people call you out on that."

8) "even after all this you still don't believe."

9) "I've just realised that I'll never get what I was looking for with you."

10) "I'm not the person you make me out to be."

11) "it's practically murder, you know that?"

12) "you honestly cannot expect my help with this."

13) "this is going a little far."

14) "no, he deserves everything he gets."

15) "and you think you can tell me what to do?"

16) "How long has he been gone."

17) "it's my safe place, don't judge me."

18) "we'll share, then."

19) "I swear to god if you say that again..."

20) "this isn't what I wanted to happen."

21) "That didn't go to plan."

22) "do you have a better idea."

23) "that's an...interesting gift."

24) "I love him, or I did."

25) "You've already reached the high point."

26) "that was anti-climatic."

27) "You're actually sick."

28) "are you sure?"

29) "Doesn't count."

30) "so this is it, this is how it ends."

45 Reviews

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 am
TigersMoon says...

1. "So who's the guy in the bunny mask?"
2. "60% chance of us dying. 50% chance we get killed."
"That adds up to 110%."
3. "I would like to introduce you to my friend: Hamster II."

6 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:42 pm
Gravitaxis says...

1. Doctors find a parasite in a man's brain, although there doesn't seem to be any immediate adverse effects. The man is at the hospital, getting ready for his operation the next day, when he hears an unfamiliar voice. "Don't let them kill me".

2. Once in a while Bob experiences a day of his life repeating itself twice and he seems to be the only one aware of it. Bob learned to take advantage of repeat days as opportunities to get ahead but suspects he isn't the only one playing the same game. Bob does not like competition.

3. You're reading a random book in a library, you realize there's a chapter about you.

4. A person is fated to fall in love on the worst day of their life.

5. For whatever reason, you died. In the afterlife you meet all the other 'you's', the 'you's' you could've become had you done something different in life.

6. The main character slowly falls in love with the reader.

7. The reason humanity hasn't encountered sentient life is because we are the last sentient life in the galaxy - the Milky Way's golden age having long since passed.

8. "Listen son, I need you to run far away from here, and whatever you do, never, ever take a step to the North. If anyone tells you to step in that direction, use this gun."

9. During a near death experience you are embraced by one of your dead relatives. You don't let go as you are revived by the doctors. Start your story after they get pulled back with you. Also describe the doctor and nurse who both pissed themselves.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:33 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

1. "Hey, don't cry..."
There was a laugh in his voice, "I'm not crying because I'm sad-- these are tears of happiness."

2. He looked over at her, and sighed. She would be leaving soon, and he wasn't able to pluck up the courage to say goodbye.

3. The princess looked down from her tower at the prince that was below. "Oh, your hair is so beautiful, maiden! May I climb these brown locks and visit you?"
She looked at him again, and shouted, "No thank you, I'm fine up here!"

4. "I love you." There was only silence that answered his whisper.

5. She looked at the blazing flames with a grin on her face. No one would ever be able to suspect that she had did it. No one.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 pm
WrittenEdge says...

While visiting the bank there is an armed robbery, and you are taken hostage. During the getaway, one of the gang is killed. They then offer you the dead man's share if you're willing to pick up his gun and help them escape.
~Edge

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:06 pm
FaulknerCannes says...

First off, I'm posting this here instead of "Writers Corner" because it isn't a full-fletched idea or a really serious one... as you will quickly tell after reading a few lines. It's really just a prompt that came off the top of my head, albeit being consisted of several ideas I have thought of over the years

1. The Ketchum Show
A story about Ash Ketchum actually being a human stuck in an alien universe where time never flows and the logical fallacies are covered up by the higher-ups. This explains why a) he never grows up in the TV show, b) why none of the characters addressed the strange parallels between eating non-Pokemon animals and treating Pokemon like animals or addressed c) the overall implications of Pokemon dog-fighting altogether. The reason why Ash shares the other characters' supposed ignorance towards these questions is because they brainwashed Ash from when he was a baby that this is how the world works; Misty and Brock are just a pair of paid actor and actress, along with everyone else in the Pokemon anime. This is why Misty is unseen in the "Pokemon World" for a long time, despite Ash mentioning her many times throughout the newer seasons... because Misty is no longer popular, hence the producers dropped her out. Same thing as Brock.

Of course, this story would merely serve as the prelude to a much bigger Digimon/Pokemon crossover, where the Digimon characters plague this little scam of a reality show with their real world logic, and Ash realize just how idiotic he's been acting this whole time. They get into a war, many people, Digimon, and Pokemon die (as well as Pikachu, who is pretty much the "Lauren" of this little story, for those who have watched the movie the title is referencing). And just when all hope is lost... RED ARRIVES. DEN DEN DEN!

Yes, Red, the trainer you play in the Pokemon games. That's not Ash. Ash was based off the more badass "Red" who doesn't share Ash's stupidity in the show. Watch "Pokemon Origins". He has a badass Mega Charizard X for Christ's sake. What does Ash have? An unevolved Squirtle and a freed Charizard, a Charizard whose Fire Type Mega Charizard X (again, note the mega-ness of this Charizard compared to Ash's normal Charizard) resists against, if you know your Pokemon types.

This story is merely one of the many 'grimmification' ideas I have in my head, of course. I'm a 'fun' person to be around, yeah. :mrgreen:

2. Things are not all sunshine and rainbows in the Digimon world, of course, as Tai and the others have grown up into adults, and they have no longer retained the childhood values their Crests represented, meaning Courage, Friendship, Love, Knowledge, etc. When you grow up, sometimes the ideal you had as a child doesn't necessarily stick with you as an adult, and this is what happens here in the alternate universe version of Digimon. I haven't really planned much beyond this point of the story, but it mostly consists of Tai, Matt, and the others dealing with adult issues like the adultery between Sora and Tai, the loss of Tai and Kari's mother under 'horrific' circumstances (one of the causes that turned the sibling bitter), the government implementing laws against the misuse of Digimon (which might or might not be related to the epilogue you saw in Digimon, season 2, where Tai became a "Digimon ambassador") and just how being a Digidestined isn't as cool as people believed.

Oh, and of course, everyone gets a new Digivolution. WarGreymon becomes VictoryGreymon, while MetalGarurumon becomes ZeedGarurumon.

3. A third idea in my head dealt with a darker version of The Powerpuff Girls, where the Chemical X is revealed to be... human souls. *LE GASP*

Yes, the girls are essentially the kind of homunculus you saw in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Don't experiment with mysterious black liquids suspiciously named after a random letter, kids watching at home.

Oh, and I've always felt that Buttercup was the outcast in the show, the middle child whose name was so "because it also starts with the letter B". So yeah, she gets a pretty tragic storyline here, folks. Initially, I went as far as to make Professor Utonium an abusive father, but then the lack of canonical continuity in that sense made me tone it down a little bit. Buttercup still bitterly confronts him about the casual naming though.

As for Blossom... she succumbed to drugs. It's a fun irony that 'the smartest one' resorted to drug abuse. Heh... The other idea was that she became this highly respected protectress of the city and wind up being embroiled in some rather controversial political conflict that involved Buttercup. Blossom is forced to put Buttercup down for Queen and country- oh sorry, I mean for Mayor and pickle. Buttercup also goes through some rather terrible events involving "Evil Him" that I don't feel comfortable sharing here, and Blossom feels sorry for her. Yes, the whole 'political hero versus the bitter villain' bit does feel a bit contrived (kinda inspired by "The Dark Knight Returns" storyline), which is why I felt like using the "drugged up celebritard Blossom Utonium" storyline instead; at least that has shock value entertainment.

As for Bubbles? I didn't really have any plans for her. I kinda threw her aside as the middle-woman in the midst of this conflict.

4. Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica in a world where magical girls are known to public as menacing vigilantes. Yeah, they are pretty much treated as witches in this story. Oh, and lots of magical girls from other anime are crossed over into this story as well (such as Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptors, Usagi Tsukino from Sailor Moon, and Nanoha Takamachi from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha). Some of them can't take Sayaka seriously (aside from the fact that she's a medic with sword-throwing powers, she is the weakest member of the "Holy Quintet" after all, even after you take post-Rebellion events into consideration), though others defend her.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus