Young Writers Society

The New Character Template

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 am
View Likes
Omni says...

So, the new character template is fancy, cool, and overall awesome, but there's something that that's starting to worry me: The deny or accept a Storybook Template.

To be blunt, it's worrying, because it's already being misused. Storybook creators and/or managers are taking advantage of this prospect and denying almost all or even some character templates not because they're bad, but because they can.

This is bad, and it's only going to get worse as more people can see that they are able to do that.

For me personally, I don't even use character templates one or two posts in, because I know my character so well, but this is already becoming a problem.

How do we fix this, or can we?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:06 am
veeren says...

Do you really think some one would deny a storybook character template just for the pleasure of pressing the deny button?
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:10 am
Omni says...

Yes, because it has happened already.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:12 am
veeren says...

Oh? When was this?
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:15 am
View Likes
Ego says...

If someone is misusing the tools in the Storybook forum, please feel free to report it to the powers that be - especially @Rydia who is awesome about getting things resolved.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 am
Omni says...

Thank you, Ego. Well said, but that's just a temporary fix. Is there anything that could be done to help this not to happen in the future?

I am just a concerned YWSer who doesn't want this to bring down the Storybook forum.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 am
Ego says...

The Storybook changes are being monitored, I'm sure. Feedback is much appreciated as always. If it becomes a more widespread problem - rather than an isolated incident - I'm positive a workaround or a change in the system will be implemented.

In short - be patient, please. If you've any ideas or concerns, please, feel free to PM myself or @Rydia or any of the Moderating Staff.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:32 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I don't know if a solution is possible. If a storybook author doesn't want you in their storybook, then it would be best not to join his storybook. Being rejected from a storybook isn't much fun, but it is better than being forced to write with someone you dislike.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm
Caesar says...

Grif speaks wise words.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:20 pm
Rydia says...

The approval process is still very new and still being reviewed so if it is found that the system is frequently abused, this feature may be reconsidered.

Please do feel free to contact me with any information on members who are abusing the system and action may be taken against them.

However, storybook owners have always held the right to deny writers entrance to their storybook. As Grif says, if it is a case that a storybook creator is simply being picky, that's not ideal, but it isn't against the rules.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:58 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I figure it's like this- the SB owner is ruler of their SB. It may be a democratic writing process but overall they are in charge. So if a profile isn't up to scratch, and they have legitimate reason to, they can deny a profile.

If you feel like they've denied your profile on an illegitimate basis, then I'm sure you can report them and one of the Lit Misc Crew will mediate discussions and, I'm sure, talk to the SB manager and see why your profile was denied.

But it's even simpler than that. You can go to the SB manager themselves and say, "Hey, my profile was denied- could you tell me why and give me a few tips to improve it, and maybe I could resubmit it?" If it's an invitation-only or permission-only SB and you don't have an invite/permission then I figure they can deny on the basis of that. Or if it's just a poorly written profile. Or if you've created a character who won't work in the story. There are a ton of reasons, and YWSers aren't scary people. I'm sure you could just ask!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:03 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

There's also the fact that, when you deny a character profile, you should PM the person with your reasons why and give examples for improvement.

I personally think that no character sheet should be denied without a valid reason and a formal message sent to the creator. It's just common curtesy.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:11 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Fully agree with Ignorance. No need to be rude!
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:40 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

There's a box to fill out with details of why a character template has been denied and that gets e-mailed to the writer, but a personal pm certainly doesn't hurt as well.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm
Omni says...

Thank you guys for writing back. I don't mean to be rude, I do think that the Storybook creator is the owner of the Storybook, and what they say, goes, but I just don't want this to be abused in the future.

It is a work in progress and I thank you all for replying to this.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

As a former (and rather excellent) liar herself, Aru knew that, sometimes, speaking the truth felt like wrenching a thorn out of your side. But doing the opposite meant pretending it wasn't there. And that made every single step ache. It was no way to live.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality