Young Writers Society

Possibly Interesting idea for SBs?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri May 24, 2013 2:11 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

So I know I'm not a huge Storybooker, but Ego's post got me thinking about something that might be worth trying in an SB. I don't have a specific plot idea, but I think this could be worth trying with the right storyline.

In a creative writing class I took a long time ago, we read a short story told entirely through the written form (letters, notes, newspaper articles, etc.) and then had to try to write one ourselves. I think it would be interesting to try in an SB since it's a different way of having characters interact and promotes experimenting with different forms of writing.

This form of writing (known as epistolary literature) can be really successful. Two of the most famous examples are Bram Stoker's "Dracula" and C.S. Lewis "The Screwtape Letters". More info here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistolary_novel

I don't have any real plot ideas, but a historical context (realistic or more fantastical) would probably work well. Something involving crime would also work (letters to/from prisoners, plotting a big crime, holdup notes, etc.).

There's probably some challenges in organizing this, but I'd be willing to help if someone has an interesting idea. I think it might help with improving story variety, improving writing quality, and attracting non-RP oriented writers.

So any thoughts? Ideas? Could this work?
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 am
Tabithalillian says...

I would be interested in doing a storybook this way. I hardly ever do sb's but I think this could be interesting a good writing exercise. I liked your idea of it being a historical fiction/fantasy. That genre interests me most and it would give some interest in the letters/articles that the characters are writing back and forth. I could brainstorm with you on some plot ideas if you wanted to! Just if you do organize this, count me in!
Living in a tower

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Fri May 24, 2013 3:01 pm
Caesar says...

It's certainly an intriguing idea, however, I think that it still needs solid context and plot (duh, yeah, but I felt like pointing it out). If done right it would not differ much from another SB).
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun May 26, 2013 4:00 pm
crossroads says...

I'm in for this, sounds interesting to me ^^

The last books in that form I read were Griffin & Sabine series, and I find the technique rather intriguing. Of course we'd need a plot and stuff. But that can surely be thought of c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 am
niteowl says...

Okay so I had a vague idea for this, but I'm open to other suggestions...

Meet Joe (note: needs better name/backstory). About a week ago, he started sending letters to many of his friends/lovers/enemies. The problem? Joe died six months ago. There was a funeral. Some people cried.

Now there's several possibilities for this: Either's he's not dead and is on the lam, he is dead and someone is impersonating him, or he is dead but somehow sending things from the afterlife. Or he's a vampire/immortal being (I'm not really crazy about this angle, but I'll throw it out there). Perhaps there's a will/fortune/treasure involved. *dun dun dun*

Again, this is still vague and I'm not wedded to this by any means. I would like a more experienced SBers input since I'm still new to the whole scene. :)
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am
Omni says...

I'm interested, but it seems like it'll be kind of hard to do. Still, I'm interested XD

Edit: Sorry, but due to an obligation, I won't join it. But is certainly interesting.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Defeat has its lessons as well as victory.
— Pat Buchanan