z

Young Writers Society

A Time Lord Storybook?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 am
Sunshine says...

I know, you’re probably thinking “that sounds complicated.” It’s not really.

We have three time lords (travelers of all of time and space), each with a number of companions. The Time Agency has narrowed down three(ish) specific locations where pieces of dangerous weaponry (or something else) have fallen. The time lords job? Recover these pieces and save the world.

In the rules in will state “not too many Doctor Who references.”

Anyone interested?
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 am
Caesar says...

Good luck trying to prevent bouts of godmoding.

Also, wouldn't all the other players, once the time lords have been taken, feel that they have been assigned a... weaker character? Depends on the person, I know.

Otherwise, it could work imo. Would love to hear more on the setting and plot, but that's to come with the SB proper, I'm sure.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu May 23, 2013 6:20 am
Ego says...

The Time Lords should be assigned in advance, not "taken." Also, I feel it'd work better if there was only one Time Lord, played by either a co-leader or the leader. That way all other writers are on equal ground.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 am
Caesar says...

Yeah, it'd work. That way the leader is calling the shots, and nobody can complain. You might also want to think about the 'companions'... might be hard not to crack Doctor Who jokes.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 am
Omni says...

I'm kind of confused as to who the other character would be. Are the time lords going through time? In that case, wouldn't the other characters not be in the SB all the time?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu May 23, 2013 10:25 am
Twit says...

When is this set?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

289 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 23, 2013 11:45 am
Caesar says...

Why would they need companions in the first place?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat May 25, 2013 11:51 pm
Sunshine says...

Thanks for all the imput guys!

@Twit: It sn't really set anywhere. The time lord(s) will travel to different points in time, as they always do.

You guys bring up some great points I didn't think of. The companions and time lords could bring up some problems. I guess I wanted companions to add a certain humanity to the mission. I pictured three time lords in three different locations, I guess, so they wouldn't be together- three missions going on within the same storybook.

However, I would be willing to shorten it down to one TARDIS traveling through space (however many time lords be inside), but that also seems very Doctor-y, which isn't that bad of a thing. Just Time Lords could work, but I feel like the missions might go to fast. Humans tend to slow things down.

Great points! Thanks!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

289 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 26, 2013 7:35 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

In this case, perhaps my suggestion would be to have the Time Lords as entirely non-playable characters. They exist, but merely to move the action.

However, since they are impotent, lazy or cannot act for one reason or another, they send their human allies or affiliates (whom may or may not know that they are being employed by the aforesaid Lords) to do their dirty work.

This 'slows things down' as you put it, and allows for more human interaction. It also gets rid of the possible DW jokes, because the humans aren't companions so much as hired hands. Further, it opens the possibility of many a grand plot.

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller