z

Young Writers Society

A Dedicated SB.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm
onedarkhorizon says...

Hey everyone.

I only joined YWS last month but since then I've enjoyed getting to know people and read the writing of others. However I really like the Storybook feature but sadly many of them die out quite quickly because it's hard to come up with a plot that appeals to everybody; especially there is only a small number of people that actually participate.

I've joined a few, made profiles etc but only two have taken off - one sadly is nearing its end (in my opinion.)

So I've been wracking my brain this evening trying to come up with a solution, and now it seems fairly simple. I wanted to see if there was a group of people that wanted to get together and create an idea that is designed for the long run.

I'm not talking about a closed SB -unless people prefer that- but if a few people who were looking for an active, social and fun SB got together and produced an extensive SB, it may work!

This would include the genre, idea and the general rules etc. If everybody looking to join an SB contributed something, such as a small idea that would make it appeal to them or even a particular plot, it could become interesting to a lot more people.

I'm not looking to make this group (yet), I just wanted to put the idea out there and see who (and how many) would be into the idea.

:D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm
Omni says...

Closed SBs are often the best for simple reasons: You get to choose who can be in this SB, aka your friends, awesome SBers, etc. Out of the three SBs I've made, two of them were private.

I think the best one is something that everyone likes. For me, that's been things that have included elements, sorcerors, or zombies.

Ones that have certainly made an impact on me are Elemental Lords, Magi High School, Second Motherland War, and the Walking Dead SBs.

Personally, I would like to see another Zombie Storybook.

I'll be in your group btw XD

Oh, and a note. Do not make a SB that's focused solely on high school or any kind of school, military base, or camp, with no branching storyline. Those always die out faster than most.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 am
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Yes, please. I've only created one storybook so far and joined around a dozen, and have had few people join mine. With the ones I joined, well, you know the person who posts every other post near the end struggling to keep the storybook up? That's me, and I'm tired of having to do that. I'd love to be in your group.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 am
View Likes
veeren says...

It's not the fact that you choose everyone in the SB that makes it work well, like closed SBs do, it's the getting together and deciding what you're gonna do (but not plotting) before the SB starts that keeps people involved. When you have everyone deciding what to do with their characters beforehand, they'll want to stick around to make sure it happens.

As for keeping people interested with other things, you should probably look here.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

378 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 21, 2013 2:29 am
Omni says...

Choosing who you want to be in there helps, too... XD

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue May 21, 2013 3:23 am
View Likes
onedarkhorizon says...

@VeerenVKS

That's what I'm aiming to do.
Find a group of people that want to be a part of an SB that is going to last for a while. Part of achieving that would be discussing what everyone wants from the storybook; that way a plot will be produced from everybody's ideas and will include elements derived from each person involved.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 am
Omni says...

Well, you already have three people. How many do you want?

sass levels loading

[he/him]

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am
Dutiful says...

Its actually a neat idea. I've only been here for one month and I've noticed quite a number of cold SB's. I'm with you @onedarkhorizon :D
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue May 21, 2013 12:06 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Yes, it is a good idea, and I do share the opinions stated.

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of closed SBs at all - though it does mean you can get together a group of people you know will be good, it also means you might not even notice someone whom you don't know, but would also be good - so I salute the idea of an open SB with a group of people behind it.

It has been done, though, and even that way it's not easy to keep it running (speaking from experience) - because people will always be giving up and leaving. I suggest you that you take yourself a group of people whom you know won't back off - a group you'd like to make a closed SB with, say - but leave it, of course, open for other people to join as well. It might work, I suppose..if you choose right and they all happen to go well together :p

That, or you can take their souls and force them to stay engaged if they want them back. But that might be against the rules c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm
barefootrunner says...

Great idea, onedarkhorizon. I totally agree. It sometimes seems as though everyone leaves an SB and I'm the only one left who wants to keep it going! It's a real de-motivator for passionate SB-ers and dedicated writers. I'd love to join when you get that long-term SB up!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat May 25, 2013 8:11 pm
Mehmehmehmeh says...

I'm in ;D
This is my story, and you're a part of it.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 am
Omni says...

So is this going to happen @maleficent?

sass levels loading

[he/him]

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:18 am
maleficent says...

Well like I mentioned in the Trancers DT, I'm already in enough SBs at the moment. On top of that I have a lot of RL stuff to get on with, I do plan on doing this though.

Would you still be interested?
It's just that I've seen you mention a lot that you have a lot of profiles/posts to do as well as some other RL stuff. @Aquestioning
"Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it."

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:20 am
Omni says...

I'll do it, even if it's a challenge for my time.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

I feel like it will be absolute hotdog water, but oh well. It's just a draft.
— Charm