On Godmod

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:27 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

Godmod

The act of infringing upon Storybook (henceforth SB) rules, providing your character with an unfair advantage, is known as Godmoding (from the videogame lore God Mode, a mode where the character is impossible to beat). For example, if the creator of a SB specifies vampires can only be so powerful, it would be considered godmod to create a five thousand year old vampire that can command all the elements and only needs to drink thrice a year. It would also be godmoding to have your character jump from one place to another to foil a plan without proper explanation, but most importantly, consensus from the other participants.

A God Moded character invincible, whether by being impossible to harm, or possessing extreme powers, frequently gaining more as is convenient to the author. A character like this is known as God Mode Sue.

God Mode Sue exists purely to show up how pathetically weak the rest of the world is, and how badly they need his or her help

The author who has unwittingly created a God Mode Sue will (usually) be thinking of how to give his or her own character the edge over all others, sometimes going even as far as modifying how another character acts or would act to suit his or her own needs. In other words, controlling another's character, which leads to misunderstandings.

-It can also be using other characters that other people Roleplay (henceforth RP) with. In other words, if you do not RP as Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

To create an appropriate character, refer to Via's thread..

In Chit-Chats

The Character Chit Chat forum, while much smaller in size, is similar to the SBing forum, and thus, the above applies. When there are rules, 'no godmoding' will usually be one of those, however, it will sometimes not be followed. This can be either because the creator is not bothering to pay enough attention, or (worse), the player doesn't consider Chit-Chats as SBs, thus the 'rules' are applied more loosely. This is incorrect. Like in SBs, authors value solid, realistic characters, and would prefer all abide by their Chit-Chat rules. Of course, Chit-Chats lack profiles, and less plotting is involved, so things become much more complex. Because of the lack of concrete plot, the Chit-Chats focus heavily on character, thus, a well-rounded character is vital to the proper functioning of the Chit-Chat.

How do I avoid it?

Read the SB thoughrouly. This cannot be stressed enough. If you are familiar with the SB's setting, plot and general rules, it will be far easier to create an appropriate character. This goes doubly when magic is involved. Sometimes, when magic is involved in a SB, not all will be explained clearly, thus there may be some loopholes. If you are unsure, don't hesitate to ask the creator to clear up eventual doubts.

Furthermore, it is important to keep your character realistic. A God Mode Sue will often be an under-developed character, an unreal character. If a character is well thought-out, possesses a certain humanity to him or her, with particular or lovable quirks or traits that make you, and others, love to see him or her in action, it is much harder to fall into godmoding. I for one, find it useful to speak to other members of the SB about the characters, and come up with different scenarios. When done colloquially, not formal and oft boring, as a character profile (which I encourage to read nonetheless), it can be much more enjoyable. Asking yourself 'what would my character do in this situation?' is also rather handy. It's also important to create a character that, in some degree, can relate to the other characters in the SB. Broadly speaking (there are always exceptions), if the SB is populated by outgoing teens, a seventy year old, cynical and anti-social man might not be the best character idea. Nevertheles, it is still important to have diversity in characters, otherwise things might get monotonous, and that's no fun either. Consider the various characters already present (if any), and ask yourself 'what type of character would I love to see interacting with the others?'.

Cooperation between the authors and creator of the SB is also a vital point. If all players are involved in the plotting mechanism, and all ideas are discussed and proposed, it is highly unlikely godmoding will ensue. Furthermore, cooperation makes all people rather pleased, as it shows the creator values the author's opinions and thoughts. Overall, it makes the RP flow much better, makes it more fun, and basically a good ride.

What do I do if someone is godmoding in my RP?

If you think someone is godmoding in your RP, don't hesitate to contact the author in question. This should be preferably done via PM -- nobody likes being chastised in public. Ignoring the godmod might result in yet more godmoding, and worse, ignoring the post will offend the author, whom probably hasn't even realized he or she is godmoding. Suggesting other scenarios, or simply other ways to elaborate a certain passage. You should also explain precisely what godmoding is, and why this person was godmoding. This way, it will be easier for the author to avoid eventual other flops.

If you believe a character is a God Mode Sue, and the RP hasn't started yet, the same applies. You should try to cut out what is overkill, but reach a consensus with the author, so that he or she still finds the character enjoyable to play. It is important to note, if you are not the creator, but think a post or a profile is godmoded, you should alert the creator before the author -- perhaps your opinions differ. Both authors and creator should be reasonable and polite when sorting out issues -- it's only good manners to be so, after all.

Happy character creating, and merry RPing!
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:09 am
View Likes
DarknecrosisX says...

Let's not forget making sure we don't create objects to suddenly overpower our characters, definitely a no-no. But come on, it's not like there are 'Ultimate Books of Power' or anything... ;)
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Bumping so I remember to add this to the compendium.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

278 Reviews

Reviews: 278
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:47 am
View Likes
LittleLee says...

*bumps slightly then apologizes profusely*
"I believe a man does what he can until his destiny is revealed to him."

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats