z

Young Writers Society

Choosing an Appropriate Character

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 pm
View Likes
Via says...

The most important part of a storybook is choosing or creating a character. However, careful consideration needs to be taken into account when doing so.

Reading All the Information

Storybook owners do not type up information blocks in the beginning for their health, read every last bit of it! Including the rules. And make sure your character follows the rules. If the rule is every character needs to be between the ages of 15 and 18, then make your character between the ages of 15 and 18. The rules are the rules for a reason, and not following them will just be annoying and more work for the owner.

Time Period & Setting

The time period and setting should be outlined in the information block, read it! Pay attention to it and choose a character based on this information. For example, if the time period is the 1600's in Salem, Massachusettes, a Japanese anime character is probably not the best choice and won't make any sense. If you think you are unable to play a character in that would typically be found in that time period, then the storybook is probably not for you.

Also, know the time period and setting you are working with! It does no one any good if the players don't know about their surroundings. To be effective, you need to know what's going on. Don't be lazy, do a little research and figure out what it was like then and there!

Profile Templates

If the storybook owner gives a profile template for the characters, use it! That is the best way to know what is expected of your character development and where things are going. This also helps other players to know the most about your character. Plus, it gives you a heads up to all the information you will need to provide for your character.

Description

This goes along with the time period and setting knowledge. Obviously, if the period was the 1600's in Salem, your character would not have silver hair and cat eyes. Do not put fantasy characteristics on characters in books that are not fantasy. If you want those details, stick to the fantasy--but we definitely encourage you to step out of your boundaries and explore realistic books as well.

Fanfic Storybooks

Fanfic storybooks only work if the people in it know about the show/book/movie etc. People have to know how their character acts, otherwise they are taken out of character completely and it's not really a fanfic, and they have to know the basis of the thing it is based off of. So, if someone started a Family Guy storybook and you've never seen Family Guy, you have two options: don't join, or take the initiative and look up the show and the characters! It's the age of Wikipedia y'all! Wiki has informaiton on just about every show and every character in the world. But if you don't do this and then you join, you are pulling all the other players down with you. Fanfic have to have full knowledge of all characters in order to be successful.

Good luck and have fun! ;]
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 pm
View Likes
MilkNCookies says...

thanks- this helped me make a character!
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 pm
broadwaystar says...

Thank you so much. This is definately going to help me make a character in my future works.
-Macy Sene'e

Reviews: 2
Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm
View Likes
Breononater says...

Thank you, good characters are so hard to make these days.
-Breon-
"No one can stop you but you"

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:58 am
Stellabeam says...

Thank you for the post!
“A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.”- Groucho Marx

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-J. Danforth Quayle

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it- M. Twain

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue May 22, 2012 12:13 am
yubbies21 says...

Glad to know about the rules! I just wish that everyone followed them...
beep

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

Which many don't, alas. Sad but true.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10 pm
View Likes
deleted17 says...

'It's the age of Wikipedia y'all!' So true. I use a lot when I'm bored.
Have your chin up, and speak up.Otherwise, nothing will get done.And what you need to say, will never be heard.Just be confident in what you say, and stand by it

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie