z

Young Writers Society

Pokebook RR (idea)

177 Reviews

Reviews: 177
Tue May 25, 2021 3:28 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

This is a Storybook proposal/interest gauge for a new Pokemon SB I've been designing. Here's the premise:

Team Rainbow Rocket is comprised of former Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma, and Flare members, bolstered with a new line of recruits. After defeats in their respective regions, it is Giovanni who rallies them up for an assault on a different world. Their destination, the Demit region. Their goal: research and dominion of the region under the banner of Rainbow Rocket.

Due to Rainbow Rocket’s conglomerate nature, many members have not forgotten their original teams, and it serves as a part of their identity, a chip on their shoulders that they carry into battle. In this storybook, your Rainbow Rocket member can be a former member of a previous team, or a new member joining for their own reasons. They can have any region of origin, from Kanto to Galar. Whatever the case, they are all sent through together into the Demit region.

They are assisted by Professor Timber, who opened the Ultra Wormhole to the Demit region during his research. He equips them and sends them through to Demit, remaining in contact. The Demit region is a world much like our own, with Pokémon Trainers and a League Challenge, even a mysterious Champion roaming the wilderness. However you choose, your mission is to conquer it all in the name of Rainbow Rocket. As you travel, beware that you are not of this world. There are beings within Ultra Space that would hunt you down for this.

Luxur City
Spoiler! :

A beach city of trades, laughter, and music. The festivities in this city feel everlasting, making it a popular tourist location. Open fires on every street corner fill the air with the smell of barbecue. Flocks of Wingull roost on the nearby cliffs, while out on the beach, Dwebble scuttle along the bay. Off in the distance, a lighthouse hosts an eternal flame.

Acedus Town
Spoiler! :

To the west of Luxur City is Acedus Town, which sits at the base of Mt. Fornax. Formerly a prosperous mining town, the mines into Mt. Fornax have long been abandoned since an accident, overrun with Roggenrola and Sableye. Despite this, the Acedus residents seem to enjoy an almost supernatural good fortune, never in need of money or food. What’s their secret?

Gulantia City
Spoiler! :

The Divan Corporation’s Pokeball factory is here, run by Divan Admin Scudra. The city is responsible for most of the Demit Region’s waste and recycling, devoted to cleaning up the environment. Even so, a large number of Poison-type Pokemon can be found here, like Muk and Garbodor. From this city, the Divan Rail connects many other parts of Demit.

Varitas City
Spoiler! :

The Divan Corporation’s newest operation is out in this desert city, which was a vast ocean millions of years ago; numerous fossils can be dug up nearby. Varitas is a city of gambling and revelry, and is a unique tourist destination in Demit. The Divan Corporation’s drilling operation has disturbed the Relicanth springs deep within the earth, and environmental activists are calling for a stop to it. Recently, a mysterious figure has been attacking the drilling sites, leaving the Divan Corporation on red alert...

Rapai City
Spoiler! :

In the south, built into the sides of Mt. Fornax. Home to Demit’s Battle Studio and Battle Theater, Rapai City has a rich history of Pokemon battles in film and stage performance. A special martial art that partners Pokemon and Trainer originates here. Lately, a rift has formed between the two battle facilities. Some would call it superficial, but most are worried about the rising tensions.

Avidya Town
Spoiler! :

A town of tradition, nestled in the crook of the Canto Woods. There is a wooden tower dedicated to an ancient Pokemon, the identity of which is hotly debated among the residents. The only thing the people of Avidya seem to agree on is a distaste for their neighbor cities and the Divan Corporation. In the surrounding woods, Combee and Pinsir fight over living space and honey.

Suphum City
Spoiler! :

Suphum City has shut itself off from the goings-ons of the outside world, using its high island cliffs to guard itself against trespassers. Suphum is home to many pristine temples, its people working tirelessly to perfect Suphum artistic culture. Rarely are people let in, and rarely do people leave. Dratini are occasionally seen flying between the clouds.

Vanamo City
Spoiler! :

Home of the illustrious Divan Corporation, Vanamo City sits at the northern tip of the Demit Region. It is a juggernaut of human progress, famous for creating an experimental biosphere that can be artificially maintained. There are plans to launch such technology into space, Ultra or otherwise.

---

I believe the Storybook may end up having limited space, so this is mainly to ask people ahead of time if they want to join, as well as field any clarifying questions before it launches proper. Whoever joins, I'm excited to explore Pokemon with you. Also, if anyone knows a good mapping tool, I'm trying to get that situated before launch. Thanks!
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

Reviews: 1
Wed May 26, 2021 8:21 pm
View Likes
STRvArmory says...

Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I've been inactive for quite some time now. I also try to avoid joining storybooks to focus on my training. But I'm interested in both this premise and its creator. I don't mind joining, if you think you can have me.
In regards to mapping tools, I've met a few links that I hope will be useful to you.

They are essentially mapping tools found online. I believe they should be downloadable too, if that suits your fancy.

So, I'm interested in joining. I'd especially be interested if my character could be dropped in Rapai City. It sounds like the easiest way for a grunt, weak or strong, to get better at battling and be more likely to have strong pokémon to then use to catch a full team. Gulantia City would then be their next stop. The Divan Rail should make that trip easy. They'd buy a supply of pokéball from there, and the adventure would truly begin.
That's just a thought. I don't yet have clarifying questions. Should I ask them here when I do, or communicate through Direct Messages?
Oh. I do have a question. Is it possible to have an early character template? I'd like to work on a profile, even if it isn't the final product. It helps me think.

I'll be going, now. Have yourself a fun time. I hope this message doesn't sound selfish.
Last edited by STRvArmory on Fri May 28, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I'm working on a worldbuilding project called The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago. You can find it here: The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri May 28, 2021 7:08 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Ooooh! I'm potentially interested. :)

I used to do a ton of pokemon RPs when I was younger, but I haven't really kept track of any of the generations past Unova. Still, one of my favorite things about pokemon RPs is to consider unique traits of each pokemon. I've helped DM'ed a RP before where I rolled for each pokemon's flaws and personality, and here are some examples off the top of my head: asthmatic Mankey who likes hugs, a skittish Ghastly who's afraid of being alone in the dark, a rapping Jigglypuff who's trying to sell his mixtape, a tiny Onix who's insecure about her size, and a sinister Seviper who will do anything to eradicate all Zangoose.

Will you be doing something similar here, or is it up to the writer's discretion?

I like the spin on being the bad guys, though! Do you have a plot line in mind, or is it more vague?
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri May 28, 2021 1:23 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

I am also interested!

I love Pokemon, and I really like the idea of being the bad guys. The evil teams were always so much fun whenever I played the games.
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

177 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2021 1:41 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

@STRvArmory

Thanks for the recommendations! As a result I've got a working map through inkarnate.

Depending on the number of writers, they may get split across a small area, but generally we'll be grouped up to account for individual weaknesses, in true Rocket Grunt fashion. I don't yet have a set starting location, however, so we could start in Rapai!

Any followup questions can be posted here, or dm if you want! Lastly, I had the character template done previously. A character can start with up to two Pokemon.

Code: Select all
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Pronouns:[/b]
[b]Region of Origin:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality and Quirks:[/b]

[b]Previous Team/Unaffiliated[/b]

[b]Reason for joining:[/b]

[b]Starting Pokemon Team:[/b]

[i]Pokemon's Name (i.e. Sparky) | Pokemon's Species (i.e. Pikachu)[/i]
Move 1 - Move 2 - Move 3 - etc

[i]Pokemon's Name (i.e. Sparky) | Pokemon's Species (i.e. Pikachu)[/i]
Move 1 - Move 2 - Move 3 - etc

Thanks for stopping by!

@Carina

I'm kind of in the same boat for the later generations, but I'm learning as I go. In general, I want this to be open to people familiar with Pokemon of any generation.

I think I'll give the writers full freedom in the personalities of their Pokemon, but rolling for their nature sounds fun!

The way I have it set up currently is a sandbox-type map of areas of interest. As grunts, we have the freedom to set up our own Jessie/James-type schemes anywhere we want. Points of interest can include encounters with the big powers of Demit, the history of the region, or Legendary Pokemon!

@Valkyria

Thanks! I'll save you a seat!
The hardest part of writing science fiction is knowing actual science. The same applies for me and realistic fiction.

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 29, 2021 2:09 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Honestly, I would love to join this with a comedic relief grunt who always messes things up with their out-of-control pokemon, lol.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Sat May 29, 2021 10:24 am
View Likes
STRvArmory says...

@Chaser You're very welcome for that. The map looks pretty good, too. I'm glad you even bothered to make one. That'll make things more practical for everyone involved.
I'm glad we might get to start in Rapai, too. I didn't mean to impose, though: I assumed everyone would have a different starting location depending on the type of grunt they are. I do realize that separating everyone from the start won't be great for grouped writing, now.
Thank you very much for the template, too. I think I'll submit a character to you via DM to see if it suits your needs.

That reminds me. If anyone has any questions regarding the use of a Pokémon from Generation 5 (Unova) and above, please ask. I'm caught up with all of them so far and I categorically refuse to judge anyone who isn't. I also like the idea @Carina mentioned. Rolling for natures sounds fun to me too, I mean. I'd also be interested to see what such a comedic relief grunt would bring to the table. I'm not much of a comedy writer, but I can do a supportive deadpan. The kind that would always be ready to perform poses similar to the ones used in Team Rocket mottos. I haven't really experimented with characters being funny through contrast, but this might be the chance to do it. That would be ace.

Also. If we have the freedom to set up our own Jessie/James-tupe schemes. Does that mean we actually get to use rhyming mottos? I ask because the team changed up theirs with every season starting with Season 9, Battle Frontier (I tend to follow things I like closely, so, apologies if I sound overly precise). The games don't really bother with those, but pre-battle poses are absolutely a staple thanks to Gym Leaders. From Generation 1 (Kanto) all the way to 8 (Galar).
So, this could also be fun. I don't mind either way, but people here might be interested in coming up with mottos and poses to go alongside schemes. Personally I just hope we won't be forced to fail, given that Rainbow Rocket's thing is that they never actually failed.

As a last point, I think I'll focus my point of interest on the history of the region. My grunt would likely have time to study up on that during training breaks while in Rapai, and would assume that maybe some power sources or points of exploitation can be found through that. Including Legendaries, or information regarding that champion, whenever they become a threat. My grunt would then forget about the might of the current big powers and their hold on the place as a result, which would be when reminders from the other characters would be useful.
This also leaves someone else to care about legendaries and things like how or where to catch them.

...I just realized that this post is really long. Sorry.
Last edited by STRvArmory on Mon May 31, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

I'm working on a worldbuilding project called The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago. You can find it here: The Wonders of Pujil Archipelago

147 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 30, 2021 10:22 am
View Likes
Carina says...

aaaa thanks for the offer to answer any questions for Gen 5 and above, @STRvArmory! If I were to be in this SB, I'd definitely take you up on that because I am way behind on the times, hah.

Also, YES to James/Jesse energy! I can see myself playing a bumbling idiot with out-of-control pokemon, but the character has fierce determination and doesn't ever give up despite the odds. I think a smart dead-pan comedy character would pair well if you'd also go down the comedic path. It'd be an entertaining experience for sure!

GOSH.... imagining all the funny poses and sayings they would do. I'm already laughing lol

@Chaser, that maps looks great! Personally I'll be rolling for my pokemon's nature, but I'd be happy to roll and brainstorm quirks for other people's pokemon if they want! Somewhat related, but I made a pokebook years ago that never took off, but apparently you joined it. I know this because I dug deep in my wfps and found the write-ups for the hatched pokemon I was going to give everyone. I don't think I ever showed anyone the write-ups, so here was what I was going to give you:
Spoiler! :
At first glance, Luvdisc is a complete sweetheart. She is always happy and smiling, giving wet smooches to Connie. She always seems to be in a good mood, but she's in a good mood a little too much. Ever watched the movie Enchanted? She's the exact replica of the character Giselle. Sometimes she breaks into song if it is the right moment, and she takes everything literally. She also loves EVERYONE. Like, really -- everyone. She never tries to make enemies, though it's mostly because she subconsciously uses the move "attract" on every pokemon she meets. In fact, she gets most males to think that he is her boyfriend, which she is totally okay with. Those males better be sweet and romantic, and never, ever think of breaking up with her. If that ever happens...the hearts in Luvdisc's eyes will turn into demonic flames, and she will turn into a crazy psychotic girlfriend of a pokemon.

I'm imagining similar crazy energy for my character in your pokebook, lol. And for anyone else who wants in on this chaos! (if that's alright >_>)

and, uh
>_>
<_<
would like to formally request a spot now yes I am v interested now that we scheming
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

Sun May 30, 2021 6:31 pm
View Likes
STRvArmory says...

@Carina You're very welcome for that. I do realize that things like that can be useful, so I don't mind by principle.

Ah. It seems that the scheming has brought you over to this side. Welcome. I appreciate that your entire post looks like a gradual descent into the need to join in the fun.
Also, the only quirks I have found so far is that one of my grunt's Pokémon has a thing for street art and the other is a deadpan grump. These are both traits their human would have, but far less extremely developped. Minus the grump.

That Luvdisc is terrifying. Great concept. And great future harem leader. I was planning to keep the graffiti/deadpan grump parts as moderately passive. But your example absolutely makes me want to make that more important.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

177 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2021 8:38 pm
View Likes
Chaser says...

@Carina Ah, I remember CAMP. Those were the days...

Would we like to post this week and start planning with characters and such?

Mon May 31, 2021 9:27 pm
View Likes
STRvArmory says...

Personally, I'd be fine with planning with characters this week. I'd also be interested to see what everyone else comes up with. In terms of both Grunt concepts and Pokémon, I mean.
I realize I should probably state my choices in that regard. The gender of my character is default male, but I was planning to adapt it depending on the gender ratio. It's just a balance preference. The starting team planned so far is a Sneasel and a Meowstic. Specifically, a female one. That species has a different look and moveset depending on gender.

Spoiler! :

Sneasel.Image

Meowstic.

Above are images, in case some don't know what they look like. Sneasel is from Generation 2 (Jotho) and evolves into a Weavile, found in Generation 4 (Sinnoh).
Meowstic is already an evolved form from Generation 6 (Kalos).

That's all for now. I already sent my character template to Chaser, but I'll restrain from sharing it here just yet. I was informed that it was best if the creator of a Storybook was the one calling the shots. It makes perfect sense to me. In my case, I'm a generally informed participant. I'll be trying to keep things that way.
Greetings.

Call me Mory.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon May 31, 2021 10:44 pm
View Likes
Valkyria says...

Ooh, this is going to be so much fun! I love Jessie and James antics!

I have a character I've written before in Pokemon fanfiction, so I'm going to use her. But, her character has gone through some pretty drastic changes personality-wise. It's a choice between Jessie/James silliness or Cassidy/Butch crueler, but I can't decide :D

I can't wait to see your characters when this gets started!
There is always something left to love.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon May 31, 2021 11:28 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I don't have too much to say! I might be interested in this if you're looking for more peeps

I would also be down to making a pixel map if you would like that XD I made one for CAMP a long time ago and, while it was time intensive, it was really fun to make
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Pokemon SB? XD

"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

177 Reviews

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:27 am
View Likes
Chaser says...

Alright! In that case I'll launch both threads (storybook and OOC) tomorrow, and we can start getting character sheets in!

A note: In the world where Team Rainbow Rocket is formed, the villainous teams of other regions (Magma, Flare, etc.) have all failed in their schemes. Rainbow Rocket was formed after Team Rocket's takeover of the Radio Tower in G/S/C, and the subsequent return of Giovanni. Some of the other regions' remnant members may realize that Rainbow Rocket's Ultra Wormholes can be used to access a parallel dimension where they did win, as seen in the games. To clarify, Demit is in one of these parallel dimensions.

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin