z

Young Writers Society

RP Brainstorming

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Mon May 31, 2021 6:33 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

@Magebird The craziness that comes from those kinds of RPs are always exciting XD
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

311 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:33 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

TheScribe wrote:Here's a very vague idea:

What if there was an RP on a fictional planet where people created their own nation? They wouldn't have to flesh out every detail or anything unless they just wanted to ;-; I think it'd be interesting to watch how people would interact with one another as nation/using characters in a nation rather than focusing on one main plot ;-; Maybe someone wants to declare war, or someone wants to unify the entire world...? Idk, just a thought ;-;

Building on this idea cuz my creative juices are flowing for everything except my Camp NaNo project atm

So, what if instead of having a generic interactions RP, what if this was turned into more of a political simulator for people interested in looking at the morals and ethics of international relations? A fictional planet could still be used-- a map could be developed, and then nations could claim "spots" where there nation would exist-- but nations would also be able to have their own threads (possibly in a club?) where RPers could keep track of their nation's information. It'd probably take a lot of work to fully develop that idea and find a reasonable number of players (5 sounds like the minimum but I think that'd be pushing it closer to the max that would be interested ;-;) that would RP in it, but theoretically it'd work.

Building on the idea that nations could use threads to keep track of their info, there'd have to be a few things changed to club threads or else WFPs would have to be used. Well, not "things," really, but a lone Thing. We need an edit button for club threads just like we have for forum threads. I think that'd make everyone a lot happier, especially since we all find that one extremely irritating misplaced comma and we want to kill it so badly but it's just out of reach.

Moving past that mini-rant, I think that the general idea of an area where people could keep track of and read about other nations is, in theory, a good idea. Multiple WFPs for individual could even be an option for people that want to really build/world build. People could create new cultures, new political systems, new places, names, literature, ideas, etc. Heck, we could even establish our own version of the United Nations-- that might draw in some RPers that would rather be from a nation than in control of one.

It is also possible that internal conflicts will arise within the nations and result in political disunion and, by extension, RPer-based plot creation (and thus development). RPer-based plots tend to succeed more often, in my experience, and often times RPs will move away from their main "goal" or "intention" and instead become... dead, for lack of a better word.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:58 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

It is also possible that internal conflicts will arise within the nations and result in political disunion and, by extension, RPer-based plot creation (and thus development). RPer-based plots tend to succeed more often, in my experience, and often times RPs will move away from their main "goal" or "intention" and instead become... dead, for lack of a better word.

Expanding on this idea further, it would also be possible and seriously quite interesting to have some political intrigue within the nations. Full plots could end up developing within a single nation, which could impact the bigger picture a lot.

I'm thinking that this idea would work best within a club, or at least with a club as like a 'base' where everything could be logged, maybe with a running summary being updated every time something major happens so it's still friendly enough for new players to enter once it gets going.

I say a club because I imagine there might be a few rps within this universe going at any given time. Say two nations are conspiring together in secret, then the two involved writers could start a duos thread fleshing that out and summarizing it in a forum thread in the club to keep people updated.

Idk, I find this idea really interesting. I tend to overcomplicate things so much of what I've said here might be too convoluted to be practical, but hopefully some of it is viable lol.
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

311 Reviews

Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:17 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

TheMulticoloredCyr wrote:

Expanding on this idea further, it would also be possible and seriously quite interesting to have some political intrigue within the nations. Full plots could end up developing within a single nation, which could impact the bigger picture a lot.

I'm thinking that this idea would work best within a club, or at least with a club as like a 'base' where everything could be logged, maybe with a running summary being updated every time something major happens so it's still friendly enough for new players to enter once it gets going.

I say a club because I imagine there might be a few rps within this universe going at any given time. Say two nations are conspiring together in secret, then the two involved writers could start a duos thread fleshing that out and summarizing it in a forum thread in the club to keep people updated.

Idk, I find this idea really interesting. I tend to over-complicate things so much of what I've said here might be too convoluted to be practical, but hopefully some of it is viable lol.

There is no such thing as RP over-complication when dealing with a project like this XD

I hadn't thought about having multiple RPs going on within one world-- that's very smart and extremely useful for planning. It'd be a group effort to keep things logged, I think-- maybe have everyone take turns with updates? Idk.

I really like what you said about plots within one nation-- that could really impact an international community in ways that we might not originally guess.

95 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:29 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

There is no such thing as RP over-complication when dealing with a project like this XD

I hadn't thought about having multiple RPs going on within one world-- that's very smart and extremely useful for planning. It'd be a group effort to keep things logged, I think-- maybe have everyone take turns with updates? Idk.

I really like what you said about plots within one nation-- that could really impact an international community in ways that we might not originally guess.

For the summaries, I was thinking that the people who created and participated in the RPs would write a summary. Like, for example, say it was set up like this:

There's the main club, with a forum topic dedicated to each RP within.

The forum threads would contain only a couple of posts, the first being a link to the RP which, for convenience, would take place in the Realm because it's just so much easier to write over here. After that would be a summary of what the premise is, then a final post made after completion saying what happened.

Like, say there was an RP between a few players wherein the monarch of one kingdom was having an affair with the messenger who travels between kingdoms, meanwhile, the monarch's spouse is trying to keep the kingdom appearing strong in the face of impending war with a, realistically, much more powerful country.

The first post would be something like:

[link to RP]
Monarch Relastiel tries to keep their affair a secret, meanwhile, war looms on the horizon

(I like the idea of making it something like a fantasy headline, idk, I just think it'd be funny to have a kinda newspaper aesthetic to the whole ordeal, like the club is just reporting the news or something)

the second post would then just contain the summary, written by one or a few of the players.

Nice and short, easy to navigate, makes it so the newer participants don't necessarily have to wade through mountains of text to be up to date. they just have to skim a hew headlines and maybe a paragraph or so to know what's up with whatever situation they want to get involved in.

he/they

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:38 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

(I like the idea of making it something like a fantasy headline, idk, I just think it'd be funny to have a kinda newspaper aesthetic to the whole ordeal, like the club is just reporting the news or something)

the second post would then just contain the summary, written by one or a few of the players.

Nice and short, easy to navigate,

Nice and short, easy to navigate, makes it so the newer participants just have to skim a hew headlines and maybe a paragraph or so to

CYR YOU HAVE DOUBLED MY INTEREST
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:17 am
View Likes
Omni says...

As someone also juggling a universe with multiple rps in it, it is veeeeery difficult to keep everything neat and tidy

Logistically, would the rps center more around the nations or the people in those nations? I like the idea of playing chess master with nations, but when you get multiple rps going with the small goings ons of the nations, it gets difficult to keep track of everything. Color me interested though, if or when this becomes a thing!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

95 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:31 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

I was thinking it would center more around a few key players in each nation rather than the nations as a whole, just because I think that fits the RP format a whole lot better, but it wasn't my idea initially so I am open to corrections.

he/they

311 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:02 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

For the summaries, I was thinking that the people who created and participated in the RPs would write a summary. Like, for example, say it was set up like this:

There's the main club, with a forum topic dedicated to each RP within.

The forum threads would contain only a couple of posts, the first being a link to the RP which, for convenience, would take place in the Realm because it's just so much easier to write over here. After that would be a summary of what the premise is, then a final post made after completion saying what happened.

Like, say there was an RP between a few players wherein the monarch of one kingdom was having an affair with the messenger who travels between kingdoms, meanwhile, the monarch's spouse is trying to keep the kingdom appearing strong in the face of impending war with a, realistically, much more powerful country.

The first post would be something like:

[link to RP]
Monarch Relastiel tries to keep their affair a secret, meanwhile, war looms on the horizon

Nice and short, easy to navigate, makes it so the newer participants don't necessarily have to wade through mountains of text to be up to date. they just have to skim a hew headlines and maybe a paragraph or so to know what's up with whatever situation they want to get involved in.

This is absolutely genius. I love the idea of giving it a newspaper aesthetic-- we could even have separate "papers" that allow for multiple POVs looking at different events.

311 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Vincian wrote:As someone also juggling a universe with multiple rps in it, it is veeeeery difficult to keep everything neat and tidy

Logistically, would the rps center more around the nations or the people in those nations? I like the idea of playing chess master with nations, but when you get multiple rps going with the small goings ons of the nations, it gets difficult to keep track of everything. Color me interested though, if or when this becomes a thing!

It is very difficult, yes-- I've done this same thing, though generally the RPs were in different time periods.

Also:
I think I'm going to use a real-world base map to begin developing what this world looks like-- quite possibly Europe with part of Africa & Asia, definitely the Middle East included (at least partially). From there, we could claim territories and begin developing nation concepts, populations, cultures, etc.

My only big question is what genre and tech should we use? High fantasy w/ steampunk? Sci-fi with Post-Modern Tech? Star Wars-esque universe with advanced futuristic tech? Etc. Personally, I would be down for any tech level and genre, but if we went with something with magic/fantasy, I'd recommend past tech or steampunk tech.

311 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

TheScribe wrote:
Vincian wrote:As someone also juggling a universe with multiple rps in it, it is veeeeery difficult to keep everything neat and tidy

It is very difficult, yes-- I've done this same thing, though generally the RPs were in different time periods.

Also:
I think I'm going to use a real-world base map to begin developing what this world looks like-- quite possibly Europe with part of Africa & Asia, definitely the Middle East included (at least partially). From there, we could claim territories and begin developing nation concepts, populations, cultures, etc.

My only big question is what genre and tech should we use? High fantasy w/ steampunk? Sci-fi with Post-Modern Tech? Star Wars-esque universe with advanced futuristic tech? Etc. Personally, I would be down for any tech level and genre, but if we went with something with magic/fantasy, I'd recommend past tech or steampunk tech.

Okay. So, I've been digging for some maps, and what I think is the best choice is to use MapChart with Europe, Asia, and Africa as our base areas. First come, first serve would be a good rule to use with these, I think, unless we'd want to use a 100% unique map-- personally, I am not good at creating maps for RP use unless it's something like this or something where I know exactly how everything looks. I believe @Vincian used a custom map for YWU, but I have no idea what site/program was used for that.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:18 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I crafted that map by hand haha
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

95 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:58 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

MMy only big question is what genre and tech should we use? High fantasy w/ steampunk? Sci-fi with Post-Modern Tech? Star Wars-esque universe with advanced futuristic tech? Etc. Personally, I would be down for any tech level and genre, but if we went with something with magic/fantasy, I'd recommend past tech or steampunk tech.

My vote goes to a sort of low-magic steampunk aesthetic, personally, just because I prefer it.

Additionally, for the map, I could easily create one for the world if it was necessary. I have several tricks for fantasy map making, so if one is needed say the word and I can make a few options. I think I would prefer to not be shackled to the real world since I'd like to work with a geography that could be shaped by something unique to the world, and perhaps central to the plot.

I'm thinking some play on dragons or something but of course that's up for the council to decide

Also, who's up for starting a club just so we can have a DT dedicated to this so we don't clog up this thread with just one idea? I'm thinking make the club, then link to a DT because those little text boxes annoy me.

he/they

311 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

MMy only big question is what genre and tech should we use? High fantasy w/ steampunk? Sci-fi with Post-Modern Tech? Star Wars-esque universe with advanced futuristic tech? Etc. Personally, I would be down for any tech level and genre, but if we went with something with magic/fantasy, I'd recommend past tech or steampunk tech.

My vote goes to a sort of low-magic steampunk aesthetic, personally, just because I prefer it.

Additionally, for the map, I could easily create one for the world if it was necessary. I have several tricks for fantasy map making, so if one is needed say the word and I can make a few options. I think I would prefer to not be shackled to the real world since I'd like to work with a geography that could be shaped by something unique to the world, and perhaps central to the plot.

I'm thinking some play on dragons or something but of course that's up for the council to decide

Also, who's up for starting a club just so we can have a DT dedicated to this so we don't clog up this thread with just one idea? I'm thinking make the club, then link to a DT because those little text boxes annoy me.

I can do that tomorrow! I'm a little busy tonight.

311 Reviews

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:58 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Alright, here's my Among Us RP pitch:

Aboard the International Space Station, nothing is as it seems. Something lurks in the shadows unseen. It may be that something walks among us...

Colors:
    Red
    Blue
    Green
    Pink
    Orange
    Yellow
    Black
    White
    Purple
    Brown
    Cyan
    Lime
    Maroon
    Rose
    Banana
    Gray
    Tan
    Coral

Crewmate:
Crewmates are members that are supposed to be here. Their job is to take care of the ship until they next shipment of crewmates arrives to replace them. Crewmates are responsible for doing tasks. To win the game, the Crewmates must find and dispose of the Impostor(s)... assuming there even is one to begin with. There are three roles Crewmates can play: Staff Leader, Medic, and Morgue Officer.

Impostor:
The Impostor isn't supposed to be here, and they know they aren't supposed to be here. They've been sent here by their alien queen to create chaos and sow distrust among the puny Earthlings. Impostors are tasked with killing as many Crewmates as possible and with sabotaging things that might allow the Earthlings back on Earth to know what's going on.

Rules
    The moderator of the RP is not allowed to be a character so as to promote fairness.
    The moderator will be chosen at random; however, for the first few rounds, I will act as the moderator so that way everyone can get used to the game.
    Roles are chosen at random.
    There can only be 1 Impostor during every round.
    Crewmates have no jobs nor obligations
    The Staff Leader can ask the moderator 1 time following a death what someone was doing.
    The Medic can heal 1 person in between deaths.
    The Morgue Officer can tell how a Crewmate died.
    Special positions are listed by order of importance: Impostor, Medic, Morgue Officer, Staff Leader. It is recommended that you have 4, 5, 6, and 8 players respectively for each position.

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer