Young Writers Society

RP Brainstorming

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Have a vague idea for a potential roleplay that you want to flesh out more? Throw it here! The goal of this thread is to give you a space to brainstorm ideas and get some interest going for those ideas. You're free to just post your own idea, but you're also welcome to comment on any and all ideas that other people put in this thread. :)

Brainstorm away!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:24 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't have any super fleshed out roleplays in mind right now, but I do have a few settings that I'd love to explore in a roleplay sometime in the near future~

1. My original thought was creepy haunted mansion, but I'm not sure I want to do that setting again—I've had it appear in a lot of my old roleplays. I definitely want to do something spooky with jump scares of some kind, though. >>

2. Minecraft. I'm not sure if it would be a fanfic version of Minecraft that I've already written or something totally new plot-wise, but I love that game. <3

3. Maybe a Genshin Impact-inspired roleplay? My brother mentioned how it would make an awesome storybook just the other day. >>

4. More roleplays set in settings from my stories and fanfictions. I think it would be really fun exploring the worldbuilding with a completely new cast of characters.

5. I have no idea if I'd actually go through with this or not, but I keep thinking of a roleplay set underwater whenever I try coming up with a brand new setting.
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:27 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Expanding on @Magebird 's #5.

Maybe something inspired by Disney's Atlantis movie?

Or an rp where all the non-aquatic characters get turned into mermaids (which don't have to be the traditional kind, dm me on discord if you want me to expand with ideas from my lengthy and obsessive mermaid/marine biology phase).

You could also have everyone wake up in a submarine with the power failing, whatever mechanism it used to move ripped off as though by some sea monster, and life support at critical. Personally, I would specify using mortal characters for this one. Maybe allow magic, but immortals and/or otherwise OP characters would nerf the tension unless the immortal in question happened to have a good reason to want to help everyone else survive rather than just save themselves and leave. It would also be implied that the sea monster that capsized the sub is still nearby.

Another possible idea would be to have the characters be part of an expedition on the partially-resurfaced island of atlantis. Things go wrong and they're stranded on the island where they realize to their horror that it's beginning to sink back into the sea. For this I would either require players to create/adapt a character for the setting or - more to your style - have their character take over the body of a member of the crew. Some of the crew are still themselves and clearly have established, close relationships with the people who have been replaced, so the characters are basically both trying to survive and trying not to get found out as imposters (or however they want to play it, I have a feeling most of your characters would just flat out say that they are who they are and then drama can ensue as the real crew and the 'real' crew are horrified at what could have happened to their close friend and companion that this imposter was able to replace them). I could also see the body swap shinanagins leading to future rps in future ways. Maybe other players who aren't the creator could take over writing a crew member or two if they want too, just to add a little interest.

Just some ideas for you. Use them if you like, or expand on them, use them as inspiration for something different, disregard them entirely, hardly matters. Enjoy!
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:29 am
View Likes
blueca says...

i've always been a fan of light-hearted adventures through the vast reaches of the cosmos. a spacefaring rp has so much potential! but whoooo boy worldbuilding for a single planet is difficult enough, let alone hundreds. if i were to make an rp like that, it'd probably be something along the lines of the small handful of habitable colonies found in The Disasters as opposed to the thousands of planets and cultures found in something like Star Wars or The Hitchhiker's Guide.
i can't beleive it's not gender!
artim/artos/artims/arself
my name is the same as my user, or you can call me jan Laso!

romance makes me uncomfortable, please don't.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:45 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@TheMulticoloredCyr:

You could also have everyone wake up in a submarine with the power failing, whatever mechanism it used to move ripped off as though by some sea monster, and life support at critical. Personally, I would specify using mortal characters for this one. Maybe allow magic, but immortals and/or otherwise OP characters would nerf the tension unless the immortal in question happened to have a good reason to want to help everyone else survive rather than just save themselves and leave. It would also be implied that the sea monster that capsized the sub is still nearby.

I love that idea! There was a web comic I read awhile that involved a similar plot line (though there was only one human in a group with two mermaids) but I like the idea of them being trapped in the ship. If they somehow get turned into mermaids when trying to escape the ship, I think that would be really neat!

ve always been a fan of light-hearted adventures through the vast reaches of the cosmos. a spacefaring rp has so much potential! but whoooo boy worldbuilding for a single planet is difficult enough, let alone hundreds.

@blueca, that's so true! I've written two roleplays that were set on spaceships before, and both were a blast. But worldbuilding actual worlds was difficult, so I kept everyone confined to the ship. >>
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:06 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I had another roleplay idea that I totally forgot about in my last post, but I'd love to do a zombie apocalypse roleplay where the characters are taken from their usual realities/worlds and plopped into an apocalypse. I already have a roleplay like this, but this new roleplay would have a twist: all of the characters are zombies.

(They still retain their memories and personalities, and they also wouldn't really have a drive for doing what zombies normally do. But there would be a fun dynamic with them and any survivors in the apocalypse, since you're obviously not supposed to trust a zombie. c:)
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:05 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

I have no idea how it would be executed but I really want to do a murder-mystery style rp somehow. Like, one of the players is the killer and everyone else is just sus af.

Idk, it'd be cool. Like a game of clue.

It would be especially funny if, like, Queenie and/or Briar were involved, no matter if they were the killer(s) or not, especially if some of the other characters knew one or both of them. I just think it'd be really funny.

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@TheMulticoloredCyr, that sounds like a great roleplay! I know that we've had some Clue storybooks and a few potential roleplays in the past, but I'd love to see a roleplay like that now.

especially if Queenie and/or Briar were involved
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

I'm not entirely sure how it would work, though.

Maybe insert the characters into an actual game of clue, like, the clue story. Each character would be wardrobed and addressed as one of the clue characters with the exception of Mr. Body. There would be the dinner, then Mr. Body would be found dead...I think it was midway through, I don't fully remember.

Either way, someone will be assigned the role of killer and have to play their character as such. I think I'd have the people who want to play the killer DM me a number between 1 and 10 or something. The one with the closest number to one that I pick beforehand gets to play the killer. All that will be arranged beforehand, me thinks.

Motive will be tricky but those depend on the character and stuff so I'll figure all that out with the writer who gets the role.

Okay, I have a bunch of ideas for this now. I have to do some prep before I can post anything.

....This thread has also given me an unrelated idea. I think I might start a 'new rp' thread where people can post new rp's and people can subscribe so they get a notification when something new is posted, so peeps have an easier time catching an rp before it fills up. Would that be helpful to anyone?

he/they

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

That would definitely be helpful, @TheMulticoloredCyr! The RP Crew is actually planning on making an official, permanently pinned thread for that here in the RP Lounge, so you might want to hold off on making your own. But I can definitely let you know when it's up! :)
mage

queer and here.

95 Reviews

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:23 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Alright sweet! It'll be nice to have such a thread.

he/they

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 am
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I'm sure I'll do a real post in here later once I have a life again but for now I will say

My favourite thing to do with miscellaneous idea buckets is to take the unrelated ideas that are there that were never meant to have anything to do with each other and try to put em together

Like if you did the underwater one you could put a haunted mansion under the water as a coastal flooding deal or smth but unlike a haunted mansion centric rp, you wouldn't be there long enough to get bored of it it'd just be one of several features in an underwater rp that can host as many mini locations as it wants inside it
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@SirenCymbaline, I do have a creepy deserted underwater palace kicking around. >>

Also, another fun idea I've been toying with: a superhero roleplay, but this time the characters are superheroes from different stories (and/or fanfictions) that get brought to this one place to save the day. I have no idea what the place is or how many people would even have superheros to write for, but I want an excuse to write more of my superhero character. c:
mage

queer and here.

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Mon May 31, 2021 1:00 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Here's a very vague idea:

What if there was an RP on a fictional planet where people created their own nation? They wouldn't have to flesh out every detail or anything unless they just wanted to ;-; I think it'd be interesting to watch how people would interact with one another as nation/using characters in a nation rather than focusing on one main plot ;-; Maybe someone wants to declare war, or someone wants to unify the entire world...? Idk, jsut a thought ;-;
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 31, 2021 1:57 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@TheScribe, that sounds really cool! I know my brother @sheysse used to run roleplays/game like that through Discord, and it was always interesting hearing how the stories progressed. I think you'd do an awesome job running that kind of roleplay. c:
mage

queer and here.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost