Young Writers Society

Three Clans Idea

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Hey there!
So, last night, I was doing the dishes when I remembered a writing idea that I had when I was like 7 or 8. I spent a large portion of my night revising it, but I really want some feedback and to see what other people think and if they have any ideas they feel might help. I don't have a plot idea yet, just the outline of the society itself and some stuff that goes with it.

Universal Clan Rules
These are rules that all three Clans have agreed upon over the many years that they have existed. They are used to guide and govern the Clans and to help keep Clan life stable and structured.
1. One's loyalty belongs to their Clan and no one else. While friendships are not forbidden, loyalty must remain with your Clan. Half-Clan children are abominations, and they are to be banished with their parents if deemed appropriate.

2. Trespassing on another Clan's territory is punishable by death.

3. Animals are killed only in defense or to be eaten or used by the Clan. Animals killed for sport do not give thanks to the gods and our ancestors.

4. With exceptions for Healers, children may not become Apprentices until they are 10 years old.

5. When an Apprentice becomes a full Clan member, they must hunt and provide a meal for the veterans and doyennes of their Clan.

6. All Apprentices must train to be Soldiers for at least 3 years before specializing in a career.

7. A Chieftain may only be chosen from the family of the previous Chieftain. The gods and ancestors will send a sign to a Clan's Healer as to who should become the next Chieftain. If the previous Chieftain had no family, the Clan must cast stones to select a new leader.

8. After the death, retirement, promotion, or exile of the Lieutenant, a new Lieutenant must be chosen by dawn. The only duties of the Lieutenant are to organize patrols and training sessions and to also take care of any business that their Chieftain asks them to handle. Lieutenants must have had at least 2 Apprentices before being appointed Lieutenant.

9. At every new moon, the Chieftains, Healers, veterans, and a maximum of 5 more Clan members are required to attend the Muster. The Muster is to be peaceful; disputes may be discussed and handle, but fights must not break out, or the Clans will be punished.

10. An honorable fighter does not need to kill, unless it is in self-defense or their attacker is outside of the Clans.

11. If a weak, dangerous, or cruel leader comes to power, the Clan is expected to remove that leader from power so that a new leader may be appointed.

12. Healers may pass between borders freely as signs, visions, and herbs may need to be shared. Healers must not be stopped from going onto another Clan's land.

Society and Structure
Here is an example of how a Clan might be structured if a Scribe was asked to create a list of everyone in their Clan.
The Clan Holloway
Chieftain:

Astoria Holloway - A tall, willowy woman with hazel eyes and dusty gray-brown hair, Astoria is about 60 years old. Her brother is Artephius and her son is Octavian.

Lieutenant:
Christopher Fleetwood - Christopher is a fit man of average height with dark ginger hair, forest green eyes, and a messy tangle of a beard. He's about 55, his wife is Beatrice, and his children are Dorothy, Maxwell, and Agnes. He formerly served as a farmer. Apprentice, Octavian Holloway

Healers:
Addison Syms - A short, pudgy, normally cheerful woman, Addison has long grayish white hair and dark brown eyes. Her nose is small and round, and she's about 80 years old. Apprentice, Titus Powell

Clan Members: (Soldiers, Miners/Smithies, Farmers and Scribes)
Timothy Powell - About 6 feet tall and surprisingly scrawny, Timothy has long brown hair, a short beard, and gray-brown eyes. He is a Scribe married to Eglantine and his son is Titus. He is about 39 years old. Apprentice, Agnes Fleetwood

Eglantine Powell - Eglantine is about average height with cropped reddish-brown hair and hazel-colored eyes. She has low cheek bones and a round face and is about 31 years old and serves as a soldier.

Beatrice Stanwix - Beatrice is a black-haired woman with purple eyes of average height. She is a farmer married to Christopher, and her children are Dorothy, Maxwell, and Agnes. She is about 48 years old.

Oliver Vaughn - Bony with straight brown hair and amber eyes, Oliver is a soldier and the son of Erasmus. He is about average height, dangerously thin, and 23 years old.

Dorothy Fleetwood - Dorothy is a buff young woman about 25 years old with raven black hair, green eyes, and pale skin. Her parents are Beatrice and Christopher, and her siblings are Maxwell and Agnes. She serves as a miner and smith.

Maxwell Fleetwood - Maxwell is a brown-haired young man with copper eyes that's about 22 years old. A soldier, his parents are Beatrice and Christopher, and his sisters are Dorothy and Agnes.

Marcus Potter - Marcus has dark brown hair, stormy gray eyes, and stands at about average height. About 29 years old, Marcus is the half-brother of Ruth and serves as a Soldier.

Elijah Tanner - A short, stocky man, Elijah is a smithy and miner. The son of Wren, he has bright blue eyes and blonde hair.

Proserpine Smith - A farmer, Proserpine is a tan woman with long chocalate brown hair. She has amber eyes and was formerly a loner.

Apprentices:
Octavian Holloway - Octavian is shorter and stockier than his mother with short dark brown hair and sable brown eyes. He has a noticeably long nose and is about 19 years old. His mother is Astoria and his mentor is Christopher.

Titus Powell - Standing at about 6 and a half feet tall, Titus is a blonde-haired gray-eyed giant. A newly made aprentice to Addison, Titus is 9 years old and training to be a Healer. His mother is Eglantine and his father is Timothy.

Agnes Fleetwood - With long locks of curly ginger hair and bright green eyes, Agnes is the freckled beauty of her family. She is training to be a Scribe Her father is Christopher, her mother is Eglantine, and her siblings are Dorothy and Maxwell. Ages is 18.

Doyennes: (Pregnant women, or men and women caring for children)
Myles Diddle - Myles is a 33-year-old man with dark brown hair and bright green eyes. His mother is Anastasia and his wife is Ruth.

Ruth Potter - Ruth is a 27-year-old woman that has trained to be a farmer. She has long golden hair, blue eyes, and is average height. Her husband is Myles and her half-brother is Marcus.

Wren Tanner - A short, squat old woman, Wren had platinum blonde hair, extremely pale skin, and misty blue eyes. About 65 years old, she is the mother of Elijah.

Veterans: (Retired Clan Members)
Artephius Holloway - Artephius is a 67-year-old man with thinning gray hair and shining topaz brown eyes. He stands at about average height. His sister is Astoria. He retired early due to a leg injury; he uses a cane and walks with a heavy limp.

Anastasia Diddle - A former miner and smith, Anastasia retired at the relatively young age of 55 due to illness. She has smoky gray hair, green eyes, and a very fit body. Her son is Myles.

Erasmus Vaughn - A former scribe, Erasmus is a 78-year-old man with short graying brown hair and a closely shaved beard. He has one blue-gray eye as the other is covered by an eye-patch. He is the father of Oliver.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:08 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

How do people of one clan tend to feel about people from another? Does rule 1 cause any sense of superiority perhaps? Tension?
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

311 Reviews

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:20 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

@Stringbean I think there'd be a general sense of "Our Clan is the best Clan and the others are bad because XYZ" because that's what happens when you group people together and make them compete for resources >.>
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm
View Likes
Stringbean says...

Agreed <.<
she/her/they
acethetic and paronoid
*waves leafy fronds*

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:01 am
View Likes
yosh says...

im getting serious warriors vibes
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

311 Reviews

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:07 am
Riverlight says...

@Yoshikrab Yes, but also no XD I had this idea before I'd read Warriors, but I have to admit that all these years later, it's had some influence on it. :P

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:42 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

Anyways @TheScribe I've always fancied a more primitive clan-based rp, so I would definitely be interested in joining if you made this an rp (even though i'm ALREADY in TOO MANY RPS I would still join this)
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle