Young Writers Society

dark fairytale-y small town fantasy thing

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

hello, writers and writerlings~

I'm diving back into these waters after a few centuries of elsewhereness, and I see plenty of interesting changes and plenty more unfamiliar names. Which is great! Love to see activity around here. BUT I also write across flavours of fantasy, ideas and premises make home of my mental palace, and I'm wondering what kind of stuff people are interested in before I commit to, y'know, everything at once :P

SO. If I was to start a Storybook (long posts, long chats, and intricate drama!) about a this-world-ish town at the edge of a realm, and its residents' connections with the beings and magic just a few steps through the rift away... would people wanna join?

I'm thinking a somewhat specific cast, relatively small (although if you wanted to play multiple characters, that's cool), character-driven and with more of a focus on personal things than big stuff like wars—although I rule nothing out. My thoughts include changeling children, moral ambiguity, and dark things brewing backstage, but it would be down to us as a team to figure out details. I'd expect communication from day one, welcome relationships and dynamics worked into the character profiles by agreement before the SB starts, and encourage collaboration on posts across the board.

Those still around who remember SBing with me (as ChildOfNowhere or before then) can probably attest that I consider "OP" characters fun, so there'd be very few limits in that sense, although I'd like to go for a quieter sort of magic rather than throwing fireballs or whatever.
Also, perhaps it goes without saying, but I welcome (and encourage) lgbtq+, neurodiverse, and otherwise diverse characters and dynamics.

Thoughts and suggestions on all of the above welcome, pls.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Hiya @crossroads! I love the idea of fantasy.

Personally, I am full on fantasy right now with my own Storybook, Aether's Heart. I'm also not the best on character-driven roleplays, so I think I would have to sit this one out personally.

I do like this idea of low fantasy (I am probably not using that term correctly) rather than large scale, high fantasy shenanigans.

I'll tag some people that I think might be interested

@winterwolf0100
@TheMulticoloredCyr
@Europa
@Chaser

Idk many others xD a lot of my rping buddies are just as stretched thin as I am XD
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:26 am
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

Ooh! Vincian was definitely right about tagging me because this is right up my alley, and long posts and character driven storybooks are things I’m constantly searching for. I also love getting to be a part of a group of close-knit writers who not only get to know their characters deeply but everyone else’s through collaboration and such. If you were to create a storybook like this, I’d say I’m definitely interested!
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:10 am
View Likes
Teddybear says...

I am definitely interested in this if it ever comes to pass!
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:26 pm
View Likes
Europa says...

This does look interesting! Unfortunately, I'm pretty booked on the writing front working on my manuscript, not to mention all the storybooks and roleplay I'm already a part of. I hope this does well though! It looks like a lot of fun.

“Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”
— Dylan Thomas