Young Writers Society

Squad-and-Mission Style Roleplay

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:49 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Okay, so I know I just launched a new roleplay, but I had an idea last night!

The idea is this:

• I create a 'Headquarters' where the setting, the world, the plot, and the organization that helms this operation are all explained (like any regular intro rp post). This is a roleplay anyone can create a character to join the organization. However! This is not the actual roleplay, oh no!
  • Leaders of the organization will create 'Missions'/'Operations' where a small group of characters will form a team to go on this mission.
  • This mission will then be a roleplay of its own. It'll be something short, 20-30 posts. Once the mission has been completed, the roleplay is over and the characters are sent back to HQ.
  • Only characters that are out on missions will be written for at any given moment.
  • Once a mission is finished, the HQ will give a small world update. So all missions will be loosely related and in the same world. Character relations and development span across multiple roleplays.

So! For example:

You create a character, and you are a part of a mission. Let's call it "Operation: Spearbreaker". This is a roleplay of four characters. You finish this mission. You decide you don't want to write for a little while, for whatever reason. Great! Your character will not be in any missions for the time being. So, writers and characters can and will be swapped out for each mission. That way there is not the stress of constantly being in a roleplay and having to write for it for years and getting burnt out.

Some inspirations for this, in case this all was confusing to you:

All of the examples listed above center around teams that are sent off on missions. They all have some kind of abilities/powers/fighting styles that they can offer to the team.

What do people think? A tentative release date for the HQ would be April, but knowing me I could obsess over this and have it out sooner than that.

Some Important Information

This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Ahhh this sounds so cool! If I'm not in too many other roleplays when it launches, I'd definitely be down for doing this. :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:59 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

I love the low pressure form of this! Great idea :)

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Magebird one of the things that might be interesting about this style of rp is that it might replicate the storytelling that I so enjoy while also allowing people to hop in/out when they like and reduces that stress of having to write and continue a rp for years

sass levels loading

[he/him]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@Vincian, that's definitely a plus in my books! I know that I've sometimes taken on too many roleplays at the same time, but knowing that the ones in this won't run for incredibly long periods of time definitely lessens some of that burnout. <3
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

PLEASE TAG ME WHEN THIS BECOMES A REALITY

>:(((((((
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:41 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Yoshikrab for sure! :D

I'm thinking about a potential genre for this and I've honed in on a possible modern future world that has maybe some magic intertwined with it?

sass levels loading

[he/him]

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

Vincian wrote:@Yoshikrab for sure! :D

I'm thinking about a potential genre for this and I've honed in on a possible modern future world that has maybe some magic intertwined with it?

honestly a whole lot of stuff can be turned cool with magic and stuff like that

medieval fantasy, modern fantasy, STEAMPUNK SPACESHIPS??????????

but seriously tho, i'm thinking if it's a modern future world, it can be like a huge futureistic type spacecraft that sends out missions and squads like u said to like . . . different planets and stuff so everything can be diverse. like missions can even go to earth.
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

378 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:28 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

@Yoshikrab having like a headquarters spaceship and the missions are revolving around like exploring potential new planets. Like an Earth that has just discovered interstellar travel.

I was also considering something more akin to like an Avengers era world where it's a modern world with just a tad bit more technology and stuff

sass levels loading

[he/him]

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:20 am
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

I am in love with this idea, and I’d love to be a part of it when it’s up and running!
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

4074 Reviews

Reviews: 4074
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:22 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Oooh...I would be down for this whenever its gonna happen.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

378 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:53 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

I have been brainstorming some worldbuilding for this project, and I'm working on the big bad that requires these missions. So far, I have things I don't want XD

• Not super futuristic (aka exploring multiple worlds.)
      This is because I think the scope would be too large for this style of roleplay. I like the idea of politics intertwined with this project, and the prospect of multiple worlds' worth of politics is just too much for me.
  • No apocalypse
      This one is a bit flexible, but if I were to do some sort of world-altering event --like an apocalypse-- it would not be so two dimensional/black-and-white.
  • No Middle Eastern Insurrection plots
      This is a personal goal of mine just to not deal with this type of storyline too much. Not only is it in bad taste, but it's in horribly bad taste. Anything like this would be delicate.
  • No Two-Sided War
      This also deals with not wanting it to be two-dimensional. I don't want a WWII type Axis and Allies type situation.

Now, I guess to talk about some things I would like in this! Or that I'm thinking of.

• Government Collapse
      I would like this to be a turning point/inciting incident to the creation of this organization. Something like a UN style collapse.
  • AI Revolution
      I originally wanted a mecha war, but that might make it too one-sided for me. Like, how hard would it be for you to fight against mechas when you aren't compassionate about them? BUT, AI gaining sentience? Now that's a juicy topic that I think would bring a lot of depth to this.
  • Are we the... bad guys?
      One thing is for sure: I want this to be morally gray. Are we even doing the right thing? Who knows. I sure don't c:

Lemme know what you think! :D

sass levels loading

[he/him]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:37 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

I like the premise/concept of this, but I think it’s leaning too techy/sci-fi-y for me. Shorter, actually-finishable RPs that all contribute to a bigger story are a great idea, though.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:39 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Hiii friends :D it's HERE!

The Headquarters

sass levels loading

[he/him]

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta