Alt-History RP

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:06 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Hello there!

Overview:
In the early 1820s, Europe falls into an economic depression that causes several European states to collapse and capitulate to the nations of France, Austria-Hungary, Prussia, Britain, and Holland (the Netherlands)

The American Civil War begins in 1856 with the election of John C. Frémont as the 15th President of the United States. The Southern states successfully won their independence with John Tyler as their first president.

England is forced to negotiate a new treaty with New Albany (formerly United States) and loses Canada in the 1860s. However, England takes France, Portugal, and Iceland by naval warfare and economic sanctions.

In the 1870s, Indian and Chinese militia groups organized and overthrew colonial British rule. Queen Victoria turned her eyes upon South America and Africa, ordering invasions of Brazil and Morocco.

Throughout the 1880s and 1890s, wars, economics, politics, and other factors led to the rise of steam becoming the ultimate source of power. In 1894, Britannia (formerly Britain/England) successfully built the first airship in their Brazilian territories. Meanwhile, South American countries united into the Incan Empire and began colonizing parts of Africa. Now, the world looks like this:

Each of the 10 nations have their own advantages and disadvantages, the strongest being Texas, the South, and Britannia, and the weakest being the Asian Empire, Eurasian, and Indochina.

I'm thinking that I'll elaborate a little more on the world's alternate history before going on through the strengths and weaknesses. Then, I'll do some population, military, etc estimates and so on, but I'll leave the government and politics open to whoever chooses that nation to rule. I'm still trying to find some plot ideas, but I think that this is (hopefully) a good start! c:
Last edited by Riverlight on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:14 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

This looks fun but I just have a quick question, when did Australia fall to Texas? It just seems a little strange.

311 Reviews

Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:59 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

@QuoolQuo I was thinking that I'd take some liberties with what does and doesn't make sense, so I ad the idea that Britannia was struggling to defend Australia and sold it to Texas as it as a close neighbor in the Pacific. :P
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:32 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo says...

Ah, that sounds alright, and since this is an alternative history anything could happen.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I don't have any critiques for this, but I love how you took things that were happening at right around the same time and played with them to make an unique alternate history! You already have a knack for doing that with modern politics, too, but it was really cool seeing how you approached a more historical political scene.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

311 Reviews

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:38 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Thank you @Magebird!

311 Reviews

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:45 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Here's some more history that I've written up! ^^

1820s:
The French economy plummets and civil war erupts nationwide, resulting in mass panic across Europe. Napoleon takes control of the French army and his daughter marries into the English royal family, resulting in the French and British Empires solidifying into one international empire.

Prussia unites the Germanic states and begins an invasion of Russia, taking large amounts of land before moving into Italy. Prussian King Frederick IV continued his father's policies of taking care of the lower classes and renamed his kingdom the Mediterranean Empire.

In Asia and Africa, the Ottoman Empire lost vast amounts of land due to localized droughts, famine, and rebellions. Much of its northern territory is lost to the Mediterranean Empire, so the Ottomans turned their attention southward, capturing large swathes of Persian territory. As such, Mehmed VI renamed his kingdom the New Persian Empire.

Andrew Jackson had won the 1820 election after James Monroe endorsed the former general. Throughout his first term, Jackson enacted dozens of pro states rights and Indian removal acts. Jackson championed economic that enabled investors to create larger corporations.

The Vanderbilt family invested in steamships and railways, slowly building a coastal fleet and shipping system. Henry Bessemer and William Kelly worked together to create a large-scale steel production system, the Kelly-Bessemer Process, and began building steel plants across the Midwest.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:09 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Bro I LOVE alt history things like this that clearly have a lot of love, knowledge and thought put into em

love it so much I'll forgive you for selling my country to Texas

Imma def join this and grab my dear Prussia the moment this becomes real
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

311 Reviews

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:37 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Thanks, @SirenCymbaline! You can have Prussia s long as I can have the South lol

311 Reviews

Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:19 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

I made nation sheets!

Nation: New Albany
Color: Navy Blue
Strengths: Steady population growth, lots of factories, on good grounds with natives
Weaknesses: Lessened financial stability, limited farming, rely on trade with agricultural nations
Military Strength: Medium
User:

Nation: Texas
Color: Pale Blue
Strengths: Lots of oil, large agricultural community, cattle herds
Weaknesses: Few factories, apartheid/racial inequity, relies on European factories (namely Britannia)
Military Strength: High
User:

Nation: The South
Color: Blue
Strengths: Agricultural srength, dominance over the drug trade, sway over New Albany by controlling the Southern art of the Mississippi
Weaknesses: Few factories (relies on New Albany), drug addiction issues, apartheid/racial inequity
Military Strength: Low
User: @Vil

Nation: Britannia
Color: Maroon
Strengths: Strong fleets of merchants, large numbers of factories, global dominance
Weaknesses: High taxes, need for foreign raw materials/food, need to station troops globally
Military Strength:
User:

Nation: Mediterranean Empire
Color: Orange
Strengths: Strong supply lines, well-trained army, strong agriculture system
Weaknesses: Strict military leads to smaller armies, need for foreign raw materials, corruption
User:

Nation: Asian Empire
Color: Cream
Strengths: Natural defenses via harsh weather, massive population, very wealthy
Weaknesses: Little food, few factories, largely unhappy population
User:

Nation: New Persian Empire
Color: Purple
Strengths: Large fishing industry, effective trade routes over land and sea, strong army due to mandatory training for all men
Weaknesses: Low population due to plague from ten years prior, ineffective government due to corruption
Military Strength: High
User:

Nation: Eurasia
Color: Gold
Strengths: Oil reserves, potato supplies, mining operations
Weaknesses: Weak agriculture, low supply of weapons, long series of weak/ineffective rules
User:

Nation: Incan Empire
Color: Maroon
Strengths: Strong hold over salt and gold trade, diverse animal population, strong agriculture
Weaknesses: Low population, little industry, few are educated
User:

Nation: Indochina
Color: Green
Strengths: Strong trade in solks, spices, and precious metals
Weaknesses: Hooked on the South's drugs, exploding population and food shortages, immigrants from nation blamed for economic issues abroad
User:

311 Reviews

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:02 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Example Description

Following economic disasters and global wars, the Earth of 1914 is very different than it was a century ago. Steam power has taken control, and the globe is changing faster than ever. Everyone wants to get rich quick as best they can, and the richer they get, the better it is for them. Your characters are world leaders, politicians, investors, or inventors looking to take advantage of the "steam revolution" to see what heights (literally and figuratively) you can reach before you fall. Some are talking about blimps, others improved trains and ships, and others still space exploration-- the possibilities are endless! The 1914 World Fair in Houston, Texas will display many of the new wonders, including the first ever steam-powered vehicle that uses water and charcoal briquettes. Everyone who is anyone (or no one at all) will be there.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:18 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

i haven't followed up on all the information discussed in the DT, but this RP is a pretty good idea. i mean, i would definitely join this RP if you made it one
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

311 Reviews

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:34 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Thanks for the response @Yoshikrab! I'll tag you if/when I post it! c:

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
— Aristotle