z

Young Writers Society

Would you play an adult slice of life Harry Potter sb

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:06 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Imagine a Harry Potter SB, not set in Hogwarts, but in the adult world of the wizarding world.

It's the early 2010s, the war is over, the old class has graduated, and it's time to join the workforce.

And because the UK only has one wizarding school, you and everyone roughly in your generation all sort of know each other and your embarrassing teenage phases.
You'll probably be more interested in getting to know people from different houses that you might not have talked to before.

Because it's a location we know a little bit that still has plenty of room to fill out, I was thinking of setting it in Hogsmeade. (Characters don't need to share workplaces, and don't need to all share the same one, but it'd be great if we could intertwine their lives just a little bit.)

The feel I'm going for is the cosy day-to-day life parts of Harry Potter, with a slice of Ghibli.

So if I created this....

Would you play it?

(Suggestions or critique welcome)
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

59 Reviews

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:12 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

@HazelGrace16 @Remington38 @Nike

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:28 pm
View Likes
JoyDark says...

To be honest, I probably won’t. I don’t have any HP OCs. But this looks cool. I hope you have people!
she/her

woah
i actually made a post
pretty radical if you ask me

59 Reviews

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:34 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

You can always make new characters. I'd like to encourage reinventing old ocs for this but there's no reason to limit it to that!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Part of me wants to say yes, especially since I already have a few Harry Potter ocs kicking around, but the other part of me is torn because of the latest JK Rowling controversy. I know death of the author is something that could be applied here - and, if I did this, I definitely would ignore her role in the story. But Harry Potter's definitely given me an icky feeling the past few days, so I'm not sure if I'd end up joining this or not.

(Or the other hand, I'd 100% down for something like Harry Potter's wizarding world but isn't - something that involves the same concept of everyone going to the same wizarding school when they were younger and having to deal with their childhood shenanigans now that they're working together. Kind of like the school in Carry On by Rainbow Rowell.)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

59 Reviews

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:56 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

I'll be one hundred percent honest, I'd lost interest in Harry Potter since the whole Fantastic Beasts/Cursed Child/Grindelwald thing, and I'm about as sick of JK as everyone else is. I haven't been following the twitter debacles lately but I don't feel the need to anymore.

I kinda want to do this to prove that I can make a better Harry Potter spinoff than Warner Brothers. Spite is not absent from my motivations.

Harry Potter doesn't belong to JK anymore, either, it belongs to the fans, and some silly part of me feels like making something like this my way to 'take it back.'

I've realised recently that while I do not care for the franchise as a franchise anymore, I still love the world as a playground, and I wanna make something new with it that speaks to me now, as an adult.

(Also... It's easier than building a new world. That's not off the table, and I might consider that if this pitch is unsuccessful. I reaaaally wanna use this world tho.)
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

59 Reviews

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:09 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Actually, why don't we really stick it to JK. If somebody joins this with a trans or otherwise gender non conforming character, I'll give them 200 points on their second post!

Edit: the more the merrier, I will give points to up to three people for doing this
Last edited by SirenCymbaline on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:28 pm
View Likes
Teddybear says...

Do you have any idea how tempted I am to reinvent Kate and Tallulah to fit in this just for that reason
formerly TheMulticoloredCyr

he/they

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:57 pm
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

I’d definitely be interested in this! Very curious to see what you’re planning, Siren!
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:10 pm
View Likes
trashykawa says...

i'm down for this. totally.
I was eleven years old
and I'd lost my mother,
and my soul.
And the crucible
gave me you.

mA

59 Reviews

Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:23 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

That's three definitelys (including myself) and two maybes. I think I can call this pitch a fully serious one now. Imma start writing up the page for it 😉

Please continue to comment, if you have any further suggestions or even just want to chat about your characters and where they might end up.
I know we'll be doing a lot of DT plotting- I want to set up a few character connections here and there before we start to make it easier for everyone to get to know each other.

The setting is the village of Hogsmeade because (a) there's pre-established locations within it but plenty of room for original content and (b) it's near Hogwarts so characters who still work there can be in the cast.
(I'd rather not have more than one or two Hogwarts professors tho, otherwise it might as well just be set there.)

I'm still thinking where I'll put my dude, but he was studying to be a healer so I'm considering giving him a clinic/wizard pharmacy

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 pm
View Likes
winterwolf0100 says...

I’m definitely interested in something like this, but I’d need to think for a while about a character...
he/she/they

winter you are an adorable bean and I love your bad social awareness xD ~Omni
omni played robin hood, stole winter's brain cell ~Silver
winter is the only person who would survive the machine uprising ~Europa

59 Reviews

Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

You'll have time, I stil have to prepare the sb itself hehe

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm
View Likes
lillianna says...

i’m down.
i would prefer to be called mrs. harry styles.
the official yws mermaid

she/they

(previously harperlouise06 and lulon)

59 Reviews

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Thank you for all the interest! I believe I can start this whenenver we like now. I need time to work on my CP but so does everybody else, so I might as well release the thing so we can get started on those sheets together.

;)

I hope to have this up in a few days, but just in case, here's the character sheet right now-

Spoiler! :
Name:
Sexuality/up for love:
Hogwarts house:

Appearance:

Personality:
- Strengths:
- Weaknesses:

History: Was your character at the Battle of Hogwarts? Did they go back to finish school afterward? What did they do next?

Where are they found?: tell us their workplace if they have one plus their favourite hangouts!

Other: this section is optional

What will live longer, you or your words? Something to think about the next time you abandon a project...
— Omni