Young Writers Society

Captain's Challenge Archive

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:24 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge Part II: So Many Emotions
As Issued by Navigator Hunter

You might have noticed the "Part I" in the CC above while reading, but thought it was in error. Evidently, this one proves otherwise!

The only error, really, was the significantly decreased activity in the Storybook Seas over the last couple of months. This regrettably includes even your most admirable leaders. Well, we were never pirates to neglect our treasures in the long-term! As such, we've decided to open this year with a wealth of credits waiting to be reaped. This CC isn't the month's first... but neither is it the month's last... :wink:

To business! If you are filled with many emotions upon reading this, then I am pleased. If not, eh, then at least your characters should be. Your second challenge for this month is to have said characters display the full range of basic emotions: joy, sorrow, anger, and fear. However, I have the sneaking suspicion I've issued a challenge like this before, so I'll add a twist — you only earn credits once you've done all four.

There are eight credits to be earned in total, since my generosity knows no bounds and I've elected to allow the challenge to be completed twice. All you need to do to earn your four credits is showcase four clear instances of each of the aforementioned emotions. There is no requirement for the number of posts or emotional characters, so you can do it in as many or as few as you like. If you want to earn the second set of four credits, though, you need to write four different instances.

This challenge is a bit trickier than they usually are, but with more than one CC available this month, there is no shortage of easy-to-earn credits. This particular CC complements the others well in any case; if you're clever, you can maximise your earnings per post.

This challenge expires on February 3rd, 2020.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

293 Reviews

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:25 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge - Part III: Magic? What Magic?
As Issued by Pirate ScarlettFire

You’re definitely not seeing triple! There’s three parts to the Captain’s Challenge this month!

The beginning of the year is a busy time for a lot of people, and January is no different. People can be caught up in all sorts of things and so can fantasy realms! So this part of the CC is all about magic and fantasy. High fantasy settings, in fact! So knuckle down and see what the dragon’s dragged in.

There are two parts to this challenge worth two points each with a potential bonus point available (that's a total of five points!):

1. Have your character notice something fantasy-esque about their surroundings and either comment on said thing or think about. Perhaps it's an odd object or just something that sends a shiver down their spine. Whatever you think works! This can be claimed twice. That's two points!

2. Have your character notice and come into contact with a being other than a human. They might even be weird, or perhaps kinda...creepy... (Bonus point if your character isn't human!) This can be claimed twice but the bonus only once for a total of three points.

Happy posting, kiddos!

This challenge expires on February 3rd, 2020.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Courageous Confessions
As Issued by Pirate soundofmind

I don't know about you, but I notice a lot of stores start looking unusually red and pink this month. I'm like, why are all the candy aisles blushing? What did I say? Oh, wait, no -- it's just that time of the year. Valentines year I mean, day!

Lots of people who have particular feelings for particular someones decide that February is a great month to find the courage to confess their undying love for one another, and well, I'm proud of them for being on theme! So for this month's challenge, we're going to do the same.

N-not confess our love for each other! Our characters confessing! Ha ha! HA HA... *sweats*

But! It doesn't have to be a confession of just love! It takes courage to confess a lot of different things, not just the romantic type of feelings. For this month's challenge you'll have an opportunity to get four points for the following:

1. If your character makes of confession of their feelings for another character - be it romantic, bitter, offense, or just a nice little compliment, you can claim one point!

2. If your character confesses a DEEP, DARK SECRET you can get one point!

3. If your character's confession stirs up relational drama, then you can claim one point! If the drama leads to more confessions from other characters, then you can claim one bonus point!

Does that sound like enough to work with? Well, sounds like it's time to go spill some secrets and make things a little more complicated for your characters. ;) Get to it!

This challenge expires on March 4th, 2020.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Disaster Marches
As Issued by Navigator Hunter

The Ides of March passed earlier this week. Most people know this date as the day of Julius Caesar's assassination, but how many also know that March 15th was sacred to Jupiter and the day of the first full moon following the advent of the Roman Calender? It's fascinating how a day of celebration and sanctity became a day of death and betrayal.

While this bit of knowledge is indeed morbid, it is also apt, for these are grim times. With the severe cold that is COVID-19 sweeping the globe, people are fleeing to their homes and encouraged to hide from the pandemic. Travel and education has been partially suspended in many countries. The future seems uncertain for many, and isolation and ignorace provide a breeding ground for panic and dread.

We must not let these harmful attitudes spread.

Even as I write this, Mars, the Bringer of War — from Gustav Holst's The Planets Suite — plays of its own accord on my computer. It would seem that in this, the month named after him, his children march among us: Fear. Terror. Strife. But humanity has suffered much greater plagues, and in far darker ages. We must hold fast to our faith in ourselves and show that we shall endure, as we always do. In this spirit, I have decided to create a Captain's Challenge even in the face of so much negativity and doubt.

From now until the Ides of April, I shall present two mutually exclusive challenges:

1. For the characters in a storybook depicting an ongoing disaster (be it natural, martial, or pestilent), you may showcase them doing their very best to survive. If you do and additionally show them holding on to hope, you will earn three credits.

2. For any other characters, you may showcase them resisting intense adversity in any form. If you do and additionally show them upholding reason and consideration, you will also earn three credits.

I shall award two bonus credits for either challenge if any of the personified concepts of discord (consult the Greek/Roman mythologies for assistance) feature in your post. You may interpret this creatively.

I wish everyone a safe, healthy time ahead. Use your self-quarantine productively and maintain a positive mindset. Nothing staves off illness as much as appreciation for life.

Remember: you are not alone.

This challenge expires on April 13th, 2020.
— Paul the Apostle

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: April Showers...
As Issued by Pirate Mage

Ahoy, mateys! It’s been a few months since the last Captain’s Challenge - and an entire decade since I last posted a challenge! - but we’ve returned with a special challenge for all of our seafaring writers. We hope you’re ready for a SB Crew special: a two-parter! We’ll go into more detail about the second part of the challenge in the next post.

This Captain’s Challenge involves rain - both in the metaphorical and literal sense.

Here’s the point breakdown for this challenge:

1. You can get two points for including the mention of rain anywhere in a storybook post. It could have already rained, be raining, or be about to rain - it’s up to you to figure out how creative you want to get!

2. You can get two points for including something that rain can be symbolic for. Namely, something sad. There’s a special bonus you can get involving this option, but you’ll have to scroll down to the next post to see what.

3. Last, but certainly not least, you can get two points for including the cliche but beloved “it was a dark and stormy night” phrase anywhere in a storybook post - after all, storms do involve rain.

You can get up to six points for completing this challenge.

Good luck, mateys, and don’t forget to bring your umbrellas!

Spoiler! :

This challenge expires on June 7th.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 07, 2020 10:20 pm
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: ...Bring May Flowers!
As Issued by Pirate Mage

Hello again, mateys! Here’s the second part of our two-parter special. You better bring your sunglasses because this Captain’s challenge is all about the sun - and how nice it can be after rain. If you’ve done the last challenge, this challenge is the perfect opportunity to lighten things up.

Because the expression technically mentions flowers and only implies that the sun is finally coming out, this challenge also has to do with growth.

Here’s the breakdown:

1. You can get two points for mentioning anything that has to do with the sun or plants growing. Like with the last challenge, it’s up to you to determine how creative you want to get. You can't do both sun and growth, but you can pick which one you claim points for.

2. You can get two points for including anything that the sun symbolizes - or something that represents growth. We're especially thinking something cheerful for the sun, but it's really up to you.

3. Remember how I said in the last post that you could get special points as a combo? You can get two points for including something in that last challenge - and building on it here using the sun. For example, you can have the sun that comes after a storm, or something happy that comes after something sad. It has to be in the same post that you completed the first challenge in.

You can get up to six points from this second part of the Captain’s Challenge.

Good luck, mateys, and don’t forget your sunglasses!

Spoiler! :

This challenge expires on June 7th.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:13 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: Once Upon A Time
As Issued by Pirate Mage

Ahoy mateys!

Your friendly neighborhood pirating mods have run into a little problem. We wanted to get all of our ships together to hunt for a long lost treasure trove, but we have less ships than we thought! If we’re going to find this treasure, we’ll need all the help we can get.

That’s where you come in. We need you to help build our ships - or, rather, our storybooks. For this challenge, we’re inviting you to create storybooks. You might be expecting a list of how the points breakdown, but the point system for this challenge is relatively straightforward. Every time you create a new storybook, you get two points.

(We’ll want you to link it here, of course!)

You can complete this challenge up to three times for a total of six points.

No matter if it’s your first time running a storybook or your seventh, we’d love to see what you create. And, if you have any problems with figuring out how exactly storybooks work, you can always find one of your seabound mods and ask us to show you the ropes on your metaphorical ships.

Good luck, mateys, and we hope to see your treasure-hunting vessels soon!

This challenge expires on July 8th.
mage

queer and here.

293 Reviews

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:24 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Posting Party
As Issued by Pirate soundofmind

ARGH ME MATEYS. ME FELLOW PIRATES.

It's STORYBOOK MONTH! This whole month is about flooding storybooks with activity! I need you to create! I need you to write! Get those plots moving along, those characters interacting, those relationships developing, those ships sailing! None of that can happen if you don't get to work and write it out! You got this!

So here's the lowdown for this month's challenge. Are you ready? Well strap on your seatbelts. It's simple.

For this month's challenge you'll have an opportunity to get four points for the following:

1. If you finish a character profile, you can claim one point!

2. If you make a post in a storybook you can claim two points!

3. And last but not least, you can get one bonus point if you collaborate on your storybook post or if you write it in an official storybook write-in!

Alrighty fellow pirates, go get to work!

This challenge expires on August 1st, 2020.
— Paul the Apostle

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: A Mythical Journey
As Issued by Captain Magebird

If you've ever read Homer's Odyssey , you know that treks through the open ocean rarely happen without running into some kind of mythical creature. It's part of the fun of the adventure! You never know what you'll accidentally run into doing your trek across the seven seas.

During our last adventure, however, we didn't run into anything especially mythical. The most extraordinary surprises during The Great YWS Treasure Hunt were the several-months early appearance of SantaYWS and LoonyMaroony.

So the obvious solution is to run into them in your own storybooks!

The challenge for this month is to include a reference to a mythical creature in your post. While your friendly neighborhood crew of pirates was thinking of creatures like dragons, mermaids, unicorns, griffins and fairies, you're free to mention whatever kind of creature comes to mind!

You also don't have to make the creature physically show up in the post. You can reference them in conversation and descriptions, too. A character could be reminiscing on their encounter with a mermaid. Another reference can be using dragons in a metaphor. A third reference can be two characters debating if fairies are better than unicorns - it's really up to you! As long as you link your post here and tell us what mythical creature you referenced, we'll give you credits.

The breakdown of points looks like this:

• If you write one post that references a mythical creature, you get one credit.
  • If you write another post on top of that first one that also includes a reference, you'll get an additional two credits.
  • And if you write a third post that also references a mythical creature, you'll get an extra three credits

Overall, you can get up to six credits! The references can technically be from posts in the same storybook, but we'd definitely prefer if they were from multiple ones.

Happy writing, pirates, and good luck on this challenge!

This challenge expires on September 11th, 2020.
mage

queer and here.

Life is like an onion. You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.
— Carl Sandburg