Young Writers Society

Captain's Challenge Archive

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Table of Contents

A listing of all Captain's Challenges following the discontinuation of the Storybook Newsletter. For all CCs from February 2015 to September 2018, view that thread instead.

1. October
2. "November"
3. December

4. January
5. February
6. "March"
7. April
8. "May"
9. "June"
10. July
11. August
12. September
13. October

14. January, Part I
15. January, Part II
16. January, Part III
17. February
18. March
19. "April"
20. May
21. June
22. July
23. August
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

293 Reviews

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:20 am
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: The Wheel Turns
As Issued by Navigator Hunter

On the rough seas of life, the Winds of Fortune oppose and assist in seemingly equal measures. It takes a steady hand to stay the course. The Storybook Crew has recently faced two severe storms, yet with the guidance of our beloved Captain and Quartermaster, we have emerged united and determined. It is their example that has inspired this Captain's Challenge — the first of a new, uncertain era.

For the remainder of October and some of November, your challenge is twofold:
1. Pay homage to a good leader. Let your characters express their faith in or admiration for the person/s who must guide them.
2. Show strength of resolve. Let your characters demonstrate their perseverance in the face of past, present, or pending tribulation.

Sincerity is essential for this challenge. Not only must your characters be true in their display of trust and/or tenacity, but this challenge must also be integrated inconspicuously into your post. For genuine expression, two credits will be awarded per aspect, and each may be completed twice, for a total of eight credits; for false expression, no credits will be awarded. Any number of characters (NPCs included) and storybooks may be used to complete this challenge.

Know that a pirate ship is not governed by force, but through democracy; a vessel's leadership retains their authority only as long as they serve the interests of the crew. Rest assured, dear citizens, that this vessel has two of the most capable sailors at its helm.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Some May Call This Junk...

November has passed, and yet only the Captain's Challenge for October was available. Why was this? Did the Storybook Crew, or perhaps a specific crew member, sleep on the job? Nay, be not so quick to judge! Not only could such unjust accusations result in the plank being walked, but it is the challenge that was tardy, not its issuer. If delivery is delayed, look to the delivery service for blame, not the sender.

In any case, the Captain's Challenge for November arrived all broken and busted, so we demanded Nate's monkeys repair it. Given the nature of monkey business, we expect it back and hopefully in semi-decent condition by February. In spirit of this unfortunate occurrence, your makeshift challenge this month will be twofold:
1. Reference something received or discovered in broken condition. If it is something given or sent, it must be broken at the time of reception. If it is something that was sought or hunted, such as a treasure or item, it must be broken or defunct at the time of acquisition.
2. Reference something or someone being late. It can be a delivery, sure, but any arrival for any occasion will suffice. Be creative!

This challenge was hastily cobbled together, so each aspect will only grant one credit, and they're only good for one use per person, though the two aspects can be completed in separate posts, if necessary. To make it taste a bit less like cardboard, you can find a bonus credit in your cereal if either aspect occurs because of your character's actions, i.e. the protagonist is the direct or indirect cause of the brokenness or lateness.

Oh, and one last detail: anything of poor quality rarely lasts, so this challenge will only be available until Christmas Eve; once Christmas Day breaks, this challenge will break as well (although they won't break in the same way), after which it will be chucked away with the gift wrappings.

Can this even be called a Captain's Challenge? Perhaps "Powder Monkey's Challenge" would be more apt. Meh. Get your measly three credits while they last!
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Me? I Call Them Treasures

You might think your pirate overlords are being generous, offering the forum not only one, but two Captain's Challenges this month, but... you know what, sure, let's say we're handing out free treasure, even if it looks like rubbish.

So! Your challenge this month is to have your characters emulate your superiors and act as true "generous" pirates! If you're as crafty as we are, there are many ways in which you can do this:
1. Have your characters make at least one other character believe they're getting something "valuable" when they... totally are! This can entail inflating something's value, making a job sound more glamorous or privileged, or even offering a massive "discount".
2. Have your characters give something away that... isn't really a gift at all. This can involve gifting something they "rightfully" acquired, but can also include giving something to a character to which that character was already entitled or which already belonged to them (probably without their knowledge). Your character doesn't make a loss, and the other character feels they got something neat! A win for both sides!
3. Have your characters take credit for something they obviously did on purpose and which they definitely did do. It's essential that recognition be awarded where it's deserved, and that is obviously with your characters.

For completing any of these three aspects, you earn three credits! Of course, any competent pirate knows they should only be "generous" up to a point, so you may only claim the credits for two of the three aspects. However, any competent pirate also knows how to work with their limitations - if you display the resourcefulness needed to have your character complete both aspects within a single post, perhaps even within a single instance, you will nab yourself three "bonus" credits.

Enjoy the holiday season that lies ahead! Make sure to capitalise on those five-fingered discounts, genuine bargains, and ripe naivety, but also remember to keep an eye on your purse. After all, "generosity" is all around, even if you didn't realise it! There will be no humbugs here.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: New Year, New Activit-Me
As Issued by Boatswain Kirkiln

ArrrRRR! Happy New Year, pirates! Now that we all had our share of drinking, pillaging, and searching for that treasure, it's time to remind the world who we are! As as one of your humble leaders on this ship, I want to see the presence of pirates all over the Storybooks Forum! So, your Challenge is thus:

You Want Treasure? I Want Posts

Captain Rydia has told me I've been hoarding a bit too much lately, so I've treasure to share! But, they don't come for free! Oh ho no! That's right, I require Storybook posts! For every SB post over 250 words, you'll get some credits.

• 1 Post - 1 Credit
  • 2 Posts - 2 Credits
  • 3 Posts - 4 Credits
  • 4 Posts - 6 Credits
  • 5 Posts - 8 Credits
  • 6 Posts - 11 Credits
  • 7 Posts - 14 Credits
  • 8 Posts - 17 Credits
  • 9 Posts - 20 Credits
  • 10 Posts - 25 Credits

But that's not all, Mateys!

Great Challenges Give Great Treasure!

That's right! If you make a SB Challenge, you'll receive and extra 2 Credits, up to 10. And, any Challenge you're involved in that finishes will award you an extra Credit, up to 5.

All posts made in January and all Challenges running in January count retroactively!

You keepin' track, mateys? That's right, if you play your cards right (and we all know us pirates play our cards right) you could earn up to 40 Credits! Go on and show the Storybook Forum who rule the seas.
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:39 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: No, You Cannot Be My Valentine

Oh, were some of you looking forward to a Captain's Challenge about love? Were you disappointed when February basically passed without one? That disappointment is what many people feel on February 14th, so your crew decided to emulate that.

For what remains of this month and then a decent part of the next, your challenge will be to have your character attempt a romantic advance and be rejected. Through your character's misfortune, you will then have earned three credits! Of course, we all know heartache doesn't simply last for only the moment of rejection: it persists. If your character experiences any kind of lingering unhappiness at the rejection, you will earn two more credits. How wonderful!

Of course, there are also those who realise there is more to life than romance! if your character instead accepts the rejection with grace and decides to be content with their unromantic fate, they will earn you two credits as well! However, these two reactions are distinct, and while the one may indeed follow the other in real life, they are mutually exclusive for the purpose of this challenge.

Alternatively, your character may choose to be indifferent to the custom. If they don't give a flying fig about the meaning behind Valentine's Day (note how the strategic wording doesn't necessitate the existence of the day in your character's universe), or if they're simply oblivious, you may depict them reacting neutrally to people's expectations and earn... a single credit! I do hope you weren't expecting more than that for what amounts to a laughably easy task.

Finally, there are those souls who choose to do away with societal expectations and rather celebrate their independence. In this case, spending some time loving themselves will earn you two credits, and if they spend time (platonically) loving their friends too, you will earn another two credits! We must seek happiness in ourselves before we seek it in others, after all.

Now, for the tally! Each of these three different scenarios are interesting to explore, so you may perform each separately! If you write at least three posts respectively containing the following, you will earn, for a maximum of ten credits:
3 credits for being rejected and 2 credits for dealing with it
1 credit for shrugging at the prospect of love
2 credits for cherising yourself and 2 credits for cherishing your friends

Optional challenges may be completed in separate posts, but their prerequisite will earn you credits only once. And if your character is happily in love or successful in a romantic advance... good for them! Their love should be reward enough, so you need no credits as consolation. Marvelous disappointment abounds either way!
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:07 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: Forward! Quick March!

It's April Fool's Day, but this is no joke. March's CC remained elusive literally until March passed. Now, its time has finally come!

Sometimes, things just happen too quickly in life. You struggle to keep up and fall more and more behind until finally, you realise you're being buried. Digging yourself out is difficult, but often, it requires unwavering determination, lest failure be the outcome. You expected a month for this challenge? Tough luck. You get a week.

Your goal is to emulate the spirit of the challenge, which is something that some or even many of us have very likely done sometime this year already. If your character is feeling overwhelmed, be it by work, their social life, or their environment — any responsibilities or expectations or the like at all! — you will earn a credit.

If your character fails to cope with their burdens, you will earn... nothing but the satisfaction of making your character suffer for whatever reason you, in your devious brilliance, deemed fit. However, if you make them overcome the challenge and rise to the occassion, you will earn five glorious credits! A bonus credit can be earned if they accomplish this as speedily as you must.

A maximum of seven credits are available for this challenge — one for each day during which it runs.
1 credit - Your character must suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
5 credits - Your character must take arms against a sea of troubles, and, by opposing, end them!
1 credit - Your character must exercise haste in attaining triumph.

This challenge will expire exactly seven days from now. As soon as the midnight bells toll on April 8th at GMT+2, the march will be over. Will it find you clutching the banner of victory, or will you have fallen down in the dust?
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: CC Uses Astonish! It's Supereffective!

I initially had no idea what to do for this challenge, but as is often the case, inspiration struck swiftly, unexpectedly, and by complete chance! Hmm, even that introduction coincedentally yet perfectly matches the challenge.

See, this month started with an unexpected Captain's Challenge (CC) for March, since it had just as unexpectedly been absent throughout all of March. Although this makes for a convenient prelude, the true source of this month's challenge is a random discovery I made (which is sort of Pokémon-related, in case you were guessing). As such, what could be more fitting than having the CC revolve around something unexpected happening?

Of course, something that's "astonishing" by definition can't be only surprising — did you really think I wouldn't reinforce the reference? — so it must be a rather profound, unexpected event. It can be a disappointment, a fight, a consequence, a reconciliation, a beginning… anything at all, really. It simply needs to be unexpected and impactful.

CCs haven't enjoyed too much attention since the start of the year, so this one will be easy. As such, only five credits are available.
2 credits will be awarded for an unexpected and impactful (unexpectedly impactful too, if you wish) event taking place.
3 credits will also be awarded as a bonus if this event unexpectedly complements previously developed plots or unexpectedly yields a future plotpoint that seamlessly matches the current narrative.

Surprises can be for better or for worse, but this challenge in itself is definitely for the better! Do you know what else would make for a pleasant surprise? A decent CC completion turnout. Please, we're begging you. It really isn't that hard. Will it be for your characters, though? That remains to be seen — but hopefully not foreseen! (*Ba-dum tsss!*)
— Paul the Apostle

293 Reviews

Sun May 26, 2019 11:41 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge: May I Ask...?

No, you may not. But you probably still can! That distinction is the principle on which this month's CC is based.

The challenge is straightfor— Psyche! It's really not. I was considering making it so, but then I got ideas while writing it and changed my mind. Technicalities can lead to interesting situations, but instead of making that technicality about "can" vs "may" specifically, I want a character to be faced with a different technicality, where the appropriate response or approach (that'll depend on the context of your post) can easily be confused with another one. Whether the character chooses the correct response/approach is up to you, as long as they do take action in some manner and the similarity and difference between the two options are highlighted.

I'll make the challenge slightly more complex by encouraging both confusion and clarity. If an involved character (it can be the same one making/taking the response/approach, but it doesn't need to be) expresses confusion, but the matter is clarified swiftly, you'll gain bonus credits! Conversely, if the situation is made yet more confusing — although the reader must not be completely lost — you'll also earn bonus credits! These outcomes are mututally exclusive, of course, so I'll grant you two different opportunities to exploit them; the main credits can only be earned once.

Six credits are available this time, since the challenge is complicated, yet also easy.
2 credits will be awarded for the appropriate route of action to be easily confusable with a similar but distinct route. Your character may choose either, but the similarity and difference between them must be explained.
2 credits are available as a bonus if the abovementioned explanation is concise and clear... or if it leads to significant confusion. (You can get 4 credits if you cover both options in separate posts.)

I wonder if this challenge would pass itself? Maybe the number of posts completing it will act as an indicator! Alternatively, you may ask for clarification, but... given the challenge, I wouldn't expect a non-trollish answer. ;P
— Paul the Apostle

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 am
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: Rainbows*
As Issued by Pirate Mage

Ahoy, mateys! I'll be taking over for Navigator @AstralHunter for June's Captain's Challenge. I can't promise that it'll live up to what he's concocted these past few months, but I'll certainly try my hand at it.

This month is pride month, and all good pirates love some diversity. To celebrate this month, and to promote inclusive storytelling, we're inviting you to raise your rainbow flags for June. You'll be able to get one credit for doing at least one of the following in your post for a total of four different posts - leading to a total of four credits from this challenge.

1. If one of your characters is queer, have them somehow reference it in their post, whether it's by coming out to another character, a fun little joke or a comment about being interested in someone in a way that shows they're not straight.

2. Include a pride flag in your post. This one is pretty straightforward, but don't be afraid to be creative with how you include that flag.

3. Have a queer NPC in your post. If you don't have any queer characters but want to show some representation, this option might be for you. They don't have to outwardly address their sexuality or gender identity, but an indicator of it would be useful.

(For example, a NPC can make a comment about a character of the same gender being attractive.)

4. Include an actual rainbow in your post. You can only use this option for one storybook post, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to add some actual rainbows into this. Like with the flag, don't be afraid to take some creative liberties with how you include that rainbow.

Good luck, pirates, and happy pride!

*Here's a random fun fact for you - the colors used here are a reference to the original pride flag, which had eight colors instead of the six colors we use in pride flags today.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: Sailing the Seven Seas
As Issued by Pirate Mage

Ahoy, mateys!

Half of the year has already passed us by, but there's still a lot of the seven storybooking seas that remains unconquered. Your friendly neighborhood pirates are in desperate need of assistance to meet our seafaring quota by the end of the year - and every pirate knows that July is the best month to sail.

We don't require much help. We just need some extra hands on our decks, and possibly a new ship or two. But, with your assistance, we'll conquer these seas in no time at all!

We'll even give you a share of the treasure if you lend us your help.

You can get one credit per storybook post for a total of four times. Though we'd love for the posts to be from different storybooks, you're free to have the posts be from the same one.

We'll even give you one credit for creating a new storybook, and one credit for creating a storybook challenge.

In total, we're willing to give you up to six credits for helping us conquer the seven seas.

Good luck, fellow pirates, and thank ye for ye help!

Spoiler! :
You are being tagged because you posted within the SB forum in the last few months. If you don't want to be tagged again in future, feel free to contact an SB mod. If you do, please similarly inform a mod if your username has changed.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: Ready, steady, go!
As Issued by Pirate Mage

The season is starting to come to a close! Some of us are wishing goodbye to the sweet summer days, while others are saying their farewells to yet another winter. There's still more than a month before the seasons officially change, but this pirate loves being prepared for the adventures in her future.

This challenge is all about giving you the inspiration to do the same - but while my adventure may have more to do with the incoming school year, your adventure has to do with sailing the seven storybooking seas. All points for this challenge can be won by including something related to planning in your posts, whether it be by having your character prepare for something, come up with a concrete plan, or even having a plan go horribly wrong!

Here's the breakdown of the points for this challenge:

1. You can get two points for having your character(s) prepare for something. It's up to you to decide what this something is - a date, a mission or even a dramatic battle.

2. You can get one point for having a plan either be referenced or explain in your post.

3. You can get one point if an unexpected twist happens when the plan is put into action.

4. And, finally, you can get one bonus point if the plan devised/referenced in your post is school-related.

Overall, you can get up to five points. You can only claim the points from each category once, but you're allowed to claim them over the course of several storybook posts.

Happy planning, pirates, and good luck on this challenge!

Spoiler! :
You are being tagged because you posted within the SB forum in the last few months. If you don't want to be tagged again in future, feel free to contact an SB mod. If you do, please similarly inform a mod if your username has changed.

This challenge expires on August 13th.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: A Closer Look
As Issued by Pirate Mage

In the spirit of Review Month, the goal of this month's Captain's Challenge is take a closer look at something in a storybook - whether it's a plan, a letter, a person or something else! All you have to do to claim a credit for this challenge is to have a character (whether they're yours, someone else's or a NPC) in a post observe something a little more closely than usual.

1. You can claim one point for this challenge for fulfilling the above requirements in a single post. You can do this part of this challenge up to three times, and not necessarily in different storybooks - if you happen to post in a storybook multiple times over the course of the challenge's run, you can claim points for each post you make up until your total credit count is three points.

2. You can claim one point if the person doing the observing notices something that's bad for your character. It can be your character seeing that something's not going the way it should, or someone picking up on your character's mistakes. As long as it fits the basic requirement, you can claim a point!

You can complete this part of the challenge for up to a total of of two points, following the same rules of the previous part.

3. And, since it is Review Month right now, you can get a bonus point if a character takes a closer look at some kind of literary work - letters, stories, poems and notes are all fair game, as well as anything else that falls under that category.

Overall, you can get up to six points.

Happy reviewing, pirates, and good luck on this challenge!

Spoiler! :

This challenge expires on August 14th.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:55 pm
Mageheart says...

Captain's Challenge: Boo!
As Issued by Pirate Mage

October is not usually a month of giving, but the pirates of YWS have decided to give you a Halloween gift: an appropriately spooky Captain's Challenge.

As the gif suggests, it's time to make your posts spooky. There's many ways to make a story creepy and horrific, but there's something especially spooky about the classic things that go bump in the night.

You can get one point for having any of the following list in your storybook post - even if it's just a mention of the monster in question. In total, you can claim up to six points for completing the challenge.

Here's the monsters of the month:

1. Vampire
2. Werewolf
3. Ghost
4. Skeleton
5. Witch
6. Mummy

You can have all six monsters in your posts, or just use the same ones throughout a series of different posts.

(This challenge also applies to Night of the Living Tagbook.)

G̷͔̖̍o̴̮̊̈́̽͝ǫ̶̦͛͊͝d̵̩̗̝̳͆̔̌ ̵̹̺͊̍l̵̖̳̺̇͌̎̈ͅȕ̵̥͓͎ċ̵̜̕k̵̖̙̭̗͐͘,̶̨̉̃̂̅ ̸͎͑͊͑ś̴̨͉̹̒́t̶̰̐̀͒͗ọ̶̖̥̗̏̄̈́r̷͈͈̺͒̿̀̍y̵̻̜̙͉̆̕b̶̥̦̟̈́̓͐̃o̷̥̓͗o̶̢͚͍̠͘k̵͔͆͒ẽ̵̜r̸̤͇̓̾͠s̴͓̣͇̬̃͐̽,̵͎̩̬̻̽͂͛ ̶̞̑á̵̱ṋ̷͖͋d̶̺̅̒ ̸̣̖̕h̸͍̓̀a̸͖͚̭͎͊̆͂̆p̸̡̤̀̓͝p̵̗̱̉͜y̸̡̬̓͒͠ ̴̦͎̺̲̇̄H̵̰̹̞̺͛a̶̗̫̱̥̽̕l̴̛͚͙̟̯̚l̷̛̩̞͓̂̓o̴̤͐͒̊̋w̶̛̗é̶͓̺͉̎ͅe̴͕͇̾̇̓n̸̢̬̙̟̉.̸͓͓̻̼͊͗

Spoiler! :

This challenge expires on November 4th.
mage

queer and here.

293 Reviews

Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:23 pm
BrumalHunter says...

Captain's Challenge Part I: Spooky Scary...January?
As Issued by Pirate Jaybird

January has never been considered a spooky part of the year, but we'd like to start this year - and this decade - off on a chilling foot. To complete this challenge, you need to make your post as eerie as you possibly can.

1. You can claim one point for having a creepy setting in your post. It can be an empty room, an abandoned graveyard, a lonely house in the middle of the night, or whatever else you can think of. You can claim points from the setting category up to two times. That's two points.

2. You can claim one point for a having a creepy scene in your post. Try incorporating other senses besides sight for this part. Some examples of this can be feeling something wet and realizing it's blood, smelling something burning when there's no fire, or hearing a noise in a seemingly empty place. Like the previous point, you can claim points from this category up to two times; you can get up to two points.

3. For this last category, you can get one point for including a creepy character in your post. They don't necessarily have to be creepy all the time, but something they say, do or imply needs to come off as worrying and frightening. Like the other two sections, you can get points from this category up to two times for a total of two points.

Though it would be great if you spread out your points across six different posts in six different storybooks, feel free to mix-and-match in your posts. You can have any of the categories in your posts. Just don't claim points from a category twice for one post, even if it fulfills the challenge in two different parts of the post.

Overall, you can get up to six points.

Happy writing, pirates, and good luck on this challenge!

This challenge expires on February 3rd, 2020.
— Paul the Apostle

"Now I realize that there is no righteous path, it’s just people trying to do their best in a world where it is far too easy to do your worst."
— Castiel