Young Writers Society

Do you read other Storybooks?

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

Hey all, so I like going back through my old Storybooks or the ones I'm running right now and just read through them again. Some of them are some really good reads! And I think that sometimes gets lost when people are in the middle of writing them.

It makes me realize just how much these Storybooks are collaborative novels, but I'm worried that these stories are being written just to write and not to read.

So, I'd like to know: do you read other people's Storybooks? Are there any Storybooks you would recommend as a good read? (Even your own! We all love some shameless self promotion)
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:35 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

I still follow one of the Pokemon ones. I'm not even a Pokemon fan but it was really interesting and I read all of it.

Edit: Pokemon MysteryDungeon: The Seventeen Plates of Arceus <- it's this one. I found it pretty cool. You know something's great when you're not even familiar with the fandom but still really enjoy the story.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:40 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

I'm not a Storybooker (unless it's a tagbook and someone tags me - then I can not resist) but I do actually read parts of older storybooks occasionally - especially because I'm always looking for stuff to feature in my "yws history of the month" articles in Squills.

Also fun fact, my first interaction with YWS was actually reading SBs that my sister was in - here's probably the first one I read: The Stadium (In the Process of Ending/No longer accepting) (it went on for 30 some pages).

To find ones to read now, I'll normally look to see if there was an SB newsletter during the time period and check those out, or go to the time period in the archives and then start reading whichever one looks like it has the most pages. I don't read too thoroughly - but do enjoy browsing through this side of the site occasionally. :)
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

378 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 am
View Likes
Omni says...

@ChieRynn I've always been interested in reading that, but yikes is it a long read xD (I think it's at like 200k words at this point. Those writers love behemoths! xD) but at least it's an enjoyable read, right?

@alliyah what was The Stadium about? Also, what are some newer Storybooks that you've read?

I have to be honest haha, I started this thread because I was reading Shattered Moons again and, have to say, I really love the story so far. It's a good read, but I'm sure I'm biased xD

I've been wanting to read @soundofmind's The Outlands for awhile, because it seems like a fun time, yknow

sass levels loading

[he/him]

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:31 am
View Likes
Lael says...

I haven't ever really read other SBs that I'm not a part of before, with perhaps a couple of exceptions of skimming, but it would be nice to change that. My personal favorite SBs that I've been in recently are The Outlands and Shattered Moons, mostly for all the fun adventure and great character portrayals/development.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 am
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Heck yeah I do! Some of my favourite storybooks are/were Blood on the Tundra, V, Feudal, Sea of Seven, The Outlands, Aeyis, and probably some more. I love seeing how everyone's unique writing styles/voices/perceptions collage the same story concept together. They certainly are collaborative novels ~ I try to read them when I can c:

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Me, biased as all get out, mentions The Outlands again because it's my precious baby and I love everyone in it and how the story has developed.

But uh!! I've read a few SB's in the past when I've had some more free time on my hands. I remember I read Mana back around when I first joined and thought it was really cool. But nowadays I mostly just read the ones I'm in - but I really should read some other ones!!
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:24 am
View Likes
Omni says...

So I've been reading The Outlands and I must say, it's a pretty fun read xD there are a lot of unique personalities that pop up even within the first page.

Also, just a side note but if you read other Storybooks, why not post in the DT that you are? Or even, you can put your thoughts about what's happening in the DT and chat with the writers!

sass levels loading

[he/him]

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

The old Pokébooks were amazing reads! Pokébook III especially was my favourite, although a good part of it is in a drive or something that's not available anymore. And then the storybooks in which I participate at a given time are always fun to reread, especially with the aim to become inspired or motivated to write a new post.
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

Writing is the geometry of the soul.
— Plato