Young Writers Society

Does your storybook have a soundtrack?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:44 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Talk with me about music in your collab projects. In all of my storybooks, novels, RPs, collabs, and anything else writerly, I have music abundant for every scene, every moment, every character, every line of dialogue. Just everything. gg ez.

How to put music in your post.

What about you? And if you do, what sort of jam is it? Classical? Thematic? Does it match the time setting? Or does it veer into your personal tastes?

Por ejemplo, in an old collab project that's had a couple runs on YWS (and will have another in 2017), Demon Hunter, in my personal files, each 'episode' release ended with

phpBB [media]

Discuss!
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:30 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Sometimes - I don't usually include music in a lot of the projects I'm working on (probably because I have a small collection of music). At least, nothing ultra specific - music for a particular mood or lengthy scene, but not much more. However, I have /stend to have a few songs that I'll associate with a novel/SB/RP/etc, because I was listening to them at the time. Of course, since this is the music I play for hours on end, it always tends to veer into my personal tastes, and it generally remains thematic.

If I'm being honest, I sincerely doubt anything I listen to has any influence on the story that I'm writing. For instance, I used to spend an hour a day for the month of November writing for NaNoWriMo, and I would always circle between two songs: "Nearly Forgot My Broken Heart," by Chris Cornell, which I'd play for 30 minutes; and then "Champagne Supernova" by Oasis, for the remaining 30 minutes. I'd also occasionally play "Mountain At My Gates" by Foals. And all this for a dramatic, medieval fantasy-esque story. It probably doesn't help that, whenever I play any of those songs, I get this weird feeling of nostalgia that makes me sad.

That's about it, though - my music collection is tiny.

and dammit, wow, I found that song I listened to when a friend's relative died, and the hour I spent wistfully wandering among trees and looking up at the mountains over and over again and aaahhhh. ;-;
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:09 pm
View Likes
ChieTheWriter says...

I do fanfiction (don't judge, and don't worry. It's not that kind of fanfiction) so the music from the actual series works. (:
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

As a side note @ChieRynn the storybook forum is open to fanfiction more than most so we don't judge ^^

My storybook Shattered Moons has a mix of the shows soundtrack and some cool female vocal pieces.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 am
Lumi says...

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread and want integration, have integration.

Also, after going through more storybooks with added soundtracks, it's just a more fulfilling ambient experience. It's more immersive. Enthralling. Cinematic, I suppose.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:54 am
View Likes
Omni says...

I know you have seen me talk about this a while back, but I am currently figuring out a soundtrack for Fireheart, my latest Storybook!

My vision is to have themes for each nation and themes within those for action, sadness, playfullness, maybe some for the large cities (like Myar in Myar). I'd also like themes for the characters, like a percussion, aloof mix for Malek, a bubbly and eccentric mix for Halona, etc. etc.

That is, of course, a lofty goal. Right now I have one song. For a boss. That we may never meet. #goals
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith