z

Young Writers Society

Storybook Tips

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:02 pm
View Likes
Eternity says...

Hello fellow writers, today I will be sharing some storybook tips with you.

What is a Storybook?

A storybook is a general collaboration with others to work together in writing something. In the storybook section you can find very different varieties of topics. I've worked together with a friend to create certain Roleplaying SBs to engage more people. By following the rules on YWS, you may (almost) right about anything.

Eternity's Tips (In Creating and Writing)

1. Create a Topic
* Make sure it isn't a bland topic. It should be something that engages writers to want to write with you. i.e. A girl going to school
Okay, that's a start but add excitement. Add personality that others would enjoy.
i.e. A girl goes to school to see that nobody is there, and then suddenly realizes her vision becomes dull.
Throughout that plot, add twists. Like she figures out she's walked into a void where she's placed into an empty world, and perhaps she's one who fears being alone. Then other characters can be going through the same thing or you all roleplay as this one girl to add characteristic and personality to her. Just an example.

2. Don't Stress
* Stressing over your writing isn't something you should do. It's really self-explanatory.

3. Don't shift P.O.Vs
* It's a habit for some, and an annoyance for others. I, personally, recommend not to shift POVs because it gets way too confusing and doesn't make sense at all.

4. Don’t repeat yourself, or say again what you have said before.
* See what I mean? You can repeat yourself in so many ways and not realize it while doing it. Make sure that everything flows within writing because you don't want to throw off others you're writing with.

5. Don’t use commas, that, are not, necessary.
* Again, see? Commas are so overused nowadays that certain things don't make sense. You shouldn't use them constantly.

6. Be careful with pronouns.
* Those can get very confusing, so state names every once in awhile when having a sentence with pronouns.

7. Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.
* Ey! Careful. Mixing metaphors that don't make sense are pure and stern NO. Don't do it. It throws both readers and writers off. Make sense of your writing. If it doesn't make sense, toss it.

8. Use youre spell chekker to avoid mispeling and to catch typograhpical errers.
* Please, please, please. Double check spelling. Simple as that.

9. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
* Make sense? No. Make sure no words are left out. Trust me, it's better to take the few minutes then miss a word.

10. One should never generalize.
* Please don't generalize. Add details and descriptions, describe the setting, etc. People like detail. And over that, please don't have dialogue everywhere. Describe things. It's Description > Dialogue. People want to know the setting, people want to know what characters look like, simply describe.

---

That's all for today, folks. I hope I helped in the slightest bit and feel free to ask questions. I will answer them ^-^

Make your dreams come true. Don't wish for them, work for them.
— Lilly Singh