z

Young Writers Society

Reverse PMD

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:35 am
BrumalHunter says...

Everything about this idea is still in the infant stage (the title included, as you can see), but I want to see how interested people would be before I spend too much time on planning.

First off, a disclaimer: this storybook will in no way be related to the Pokémon MysteryDungeon SB currently hosted by Robusto. Yes, it is also a PMD fanfiction, but that's where the similarities end. You do not have to be in said SB join this one, nor will you be assured a spot if you are. The two are independent.

Now, to explain the "reverse" part in the thread's title. I recently wondered what it would be like if Pokémon became human - not simply in appearance, as is the case with Gijinkas, but for a story, like in the PMD games. This will be that story, but here's a preliminary synopsis I wrote to clarify:

If you are reading this, then I have managed to free at least one soul from Hoopa's spell. There is yet hope for saving humanity.

But before I elaborate on that particular topic, don't fret about not being able to remember anything - amnesia is highly likely to occur in individuals who travel between universes, and when there is interference, it is almost inevitable. In this case, I am responsible, and I must apologise for employing it as my last resort. I cannot, however, return your memories to you, nor would I if I could. All you need to know at present is that you were once a Pokémon, but are now human.

Our enemy is known as Hoopa, as you have no doubt concluded. Back in our universe, he had collected one specimen from the highest evolved stage from most Evolutionary Lines for an experiment. You were merely one of many enthralled Pokémon, destined to sow chaos upon the humans, but something in you hearkened to my words. Something in you broke free of the mental bonds he had laid on your mind and embraced the light.

But do not mistake my optimism for naïvety; thwarting Hoopa will be the most difficult challenge I shall ever face - the most difficult challenge you will ever face. It was within my abilities to seal away his power, but that would have left me unable to deal with the threat of his thralls. Humanity is not prepared for the war that is coming, so I had to delay your arrival, along with that of the thralls, that I could establish myself here on earth and be in a position to guide you. That is what I intend to do, from this point forward.

Meet me at my office in the city hall. You will feel lost and utterly bewildered, but remain calm and ask the citizens around you for directions to the police commissioner. Once you get to my secretary, say to her, "I have embraced the light," and show her the stamp on the front of this letter. We shall speak thereafter and all your questions will be answered.

The fate of both our universes are at stake. Come see me posthaste and whatever you do, do not reveal any of this to the mayor.

~ Archibald Virtue

Note the use of "preliminary"; this will likely be subject to change, I simply needed a quick summary. Now, the Pokémon (or rather, Pokémen, courtesy of a friend of mine) will mostly resemble their natural selves, but there is room for creativity, especially since ages can vary from eighteen to eighty. However, as humans, the Pokémen will not have access to all of their powers - it will be limited to four. Keep in mind, your character, should you wish to join, probably will suffer from four-move-slot-syndrome, since nothing will be taken for granted.

An example of this is Mismagius. Its Ability is Levitation, but here, that will be one of his/her "superpowers" (remember, this is on earth). Type immunities aren't automatic either, so Mundane Immunity is another "superpower". In fact, even the signature chanting of incantations is one. The only "superpower" that is an actual move is Shadow Ball.

The setting will be New York City, since it is a magnet for disasters in popular fiction (that, and I decided to spare Los Angeles). Your characters will have to capture or convert the wild/rampaging/confused Pokémen, but they will disguise themselves as superheroes that wish to save the city from these new threats. If you've watched The Flash, then it's almost like that.

If you are interested and survived that wall of text, then please post here. Required details will be the Pokémon your character used to be, gender (only male or female, please), and basic personality, as well as the role they re likely to fulfill. Enspoilered below is a list of Pokémon not allowed to be your PC because they have been, are being, or will be used in similar SBs or novels for protagonists already. All Legendaries are also off limits.

Spoiler! :
Noivern, Blaziken, Lucario, Froslass, Ampharos, Samurott, Gothitelle, Flygon, Weavile, Floatzel, Absol, Swampert, Banette, Delcatty, Hydreigon, Luxray, Slowking, Mismagius, Glaceon, Venusaur, Ninetales, Manectric, Arcanine, Haxorus, Scolipede, Mightyena, Pidgeot, Blastoise, Typhlosion, Donphan, Altaria, Espeon, or Tyranitar.

I know those are thirty-three you may have been considering, but there are about three hundred from which you can still choose. If you have any questions, please, go ahead and ask. If you can't join because of a busy schedule (this will only start in the first half of 2016), I understand, but please tell me.

(@Robusto, @Buggiedude2340, @15253, @Verser, @Carina, @Omni, @QueenOfHearts, @SpiritdWolfe, @Rydia, and @ScarlettFire, I'm only tagging you because the other fans are too busy, from what I've gathered. You may be too, but I don't know.)
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:09 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

I'm game! I might disappear for the last two weeks of January, but after that I'll have plenty of extra writing time to use.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:37 am
StupidSoup says...

Ahahahaha guess who im picking?
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:46 am
View Likes
Poopsie says...

I'm on winter break, ill join ;p.
The Poopsiest.

JOIN THE RABBIT SQUAD TODAY

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:56 am
View Likes
StupidSoup says...

Just realized that list was of people we can't be
I have a license that lets me solve aids - A friend of mine

Here Comes the Birdyyyy ~Poopsie

You gotta have the confidence of a gazelle running through a herd of lions - TK Sharp

I was once Numbers

Now I am Soup

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 am
View Likes
Omni says...

It sounds... interesting? Poke me about it again soon
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

212 Reviews

Reviews: 212
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:33 pm
TheCrimsonLady says...

This does sound interesting, but I have no time to join new SB's, but thanks, Hunter!
Let the blood pour down in rivers as the world burns.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:55 pm
TheSilverFox says...

Yeah, what Aurora said. I'm very sorry about that, Hunter; this looks like an awesome SB idea, but I'm busy enough as it is. <.<
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

62 Reviews

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:22 pm
Poopsie says...

astral maybe we should wait until people aren't too busy for this.
The Poopsiest.

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:09 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

*sigh* you did the right choice not tagging me, as I'd be quite busy as well, but I'll think about this. If I can organize a good schedule, maybe I can join, but as I am right now, I cannot.

Also, what Verser said. Let's wait before making this a reality, though I guess you only mean for this to be a nice experiment.
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:45 pm
View Likes
Carina says...

OMG yes. A Pokemon SB made by Astral would be fun! But I'm really busy as well, so unless this waits like the others suggest, I don't think I can do it. :'(

But if this takes off in the summer or whenever, let me know. :}
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:33 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I'm potentially in! I'd be using an original Pokemon, probably Psyduck or Golduck and a personality to fit, i.e. ambitious but somewhat ditsy. Gender would depend on what's already claimed.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

62 Reviews

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:49 pm
View Likes
Poopsie says...

I love that rydia's the only one that followed the rules .

you da bomb ryds! x3
The Poopsiest.

I am 100 Percent Garbage
USED TO BE VERSER
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

293 Reviews

Reviews: 293
Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:47 pm
View Likes
BrumalHunter says...

@Buggiedude2340, @15253, @Verser, @Omni, @QueenOfHearts, @TheSilverFox, @Tortwag, @Carina, and @Rydia, thank you for all your responses! I absolutely understand many of you are busy - I had to turn down an SB by @SpiritedWolfe (sorry for misspelling your name in the original post) yesterday myself - and if I had to start this now, even I would be too busy to participate. I was aiming for February, but with university coming up, I have no problem with waiting even longer. This was simply to see if people would be interested in joining, which I am delighted to see they are. :D

1. Buggie, 15253, and Verser, it's good to have you on board! I just hope the same can be said after at least two to three more months.

2. Hah, yes, 15253, those are off limits, so Ren will unfortunately have to stay where he is. Besides, now I can make plans for Absol, Blaziken, Lucario, etc. without having to hope they aren't chosen and that said plans will subsequently be discarded. :P

3. Omni, Queen, Silver, Tort, and Carina, there is no rush at all. In fact, I'd greatly appreciate it if we could determine a release date that will suit everyone, or barring that, almost everyone. Currently, I'm fine with anything.

4. Yes, Verser, she certainly is! (Thanks, Rydia!) And an ambitious yet ditsy Golduck would be excellent, actually. I'm willing to allow a few favourites, such as Charizard, Zoroark, most of the Eevee-lutions, etc. but "original" Pokémon, as you accurately put it, are preferable. Nobody has to take Exeggutor, Klefki, Seaking, or the like, but decent ones like Meganium, Exploud, Toxicroak, and yes, Golduck - that would be nice.

Once again, thank you all for your responses! I look forward to reading your suggestions (and hopefully reservations ;) ).
But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
— Paul the Apostle

Winter is inevitable. Spring will return eventually, and AstralHunter with it.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:10 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

Sure! We'll wait, and we'll all find a release date that might suit everyone at some point, hopefully. Sounds like a good plan.
Also, as far as Pokemon reservation goes, if I DO end up participating in that thing, I'm taking Clawitzer.
Spoiler! :

I'm a gunner at heart, and projectile weaposn are usually the ones I enjoy the most in most games I play. So, if I could have the ability to have a multi-shot claw-gun like THAT one, I'd be more than happy!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

Patience is the strength of the weak, impatience is the weakness of the strong.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher